synth/keyboard emulators..

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
anyone use these synth/keyboard emulators(old and new)? Are they good? decent? terrible?I am looking for something to play around with in the MPC..

Comments

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    software synths you mean? if so then yes, occasionally.

Gmedia's M-Tron mellotron has some freshness to it and is not that pricey. Novation V-Station is pretty good on the synthy-vibe.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    they are cool. I like hardware better cause its more reliable, and more fun to play with, but software synths can be really dope.

Theres an E-MU piece of software that emulates basicly every synth they put out for like 150 bucks and that gets you all the proteus stuff and all the mophat stuff and everything. Which is really hot.

My major problem with alot of them is they seem to be a bunch of gay loops and shit, but the emu stuff looks bangin.

also check out gigastudio and sampletank.

also make sure your system is pretty deisel as alot of times you will be running them as a protools plugin and so they can be system intensive. If not you get some annoying ass latency.

• thanks for the advice

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    If not you get some annoying ass latency.

????????

????????

latency meaning an annoying time delay between when you hit the key, and when the sound is played. Get a dictionary.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    soft synths are alright.. sometimes you can do a lil sumpin sumpin on them but don't get your hopes up.

i recomend you get a module / analogue modeller depending on what you want.

the microkorg is retarded sick.

i've got a lil roland sh32 tabletob job.. knobs for days and it SCHOOLS any soft synth i've ever used.. especially i nthe bass dept. and it was only $200.

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts
    also make sure your system is pretty deisel as alot of times you will be running them as a protools plugin and so they can be system intensive. If not you get some annoying ass latency.

how diesel is diesel?
    this is perfect timing.
    i think i'm finally ready to upgrade my ghetto ass windows 98 running computer and would like to try to mess around with synth emulators for fun.
    if i get a pentium 4 laptop with a gig of ram do you think that's enough? or does diesel mean some G5 shit?
    thanks for the help.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

how diesel is diesel?
    this is perfect timing.
    i think i'm finally ready to upgrade my ghetto ass windows 98 running computer and would like to try to mess around with synth emulators for fun.
    if i get a pentium 4 laptop with a gig of ram do you think that's enough? or does diesel mean some G5 shit?
    thanks for the help.

get an athlon 64, a gig of ram, and a nice soundcard.

The best softsynth I've heard so far is arturia's Arp2600. Sounds EXACTLY like the OG. Everlasting bass. You can make hot shit without even trying. That's kinda scary.

Also, they did a nice Moog emulator, but the Arp is miles beyond beyond.

I'll have to check out this E-MU joint, and I've been looking for that mellotron emulator for a hot minute. If anybody can hook it up...

how diesel is diesel?
    this is perfect timing.
    thanks for the help.

man, I have a pc myself, but ive been kicking myself for not buying a mac for about 2 years. If you want to do anything with music, its a better idea.

So what im reading is that you want something that emulates analog synths right? not neccesarily like just having keyboard sounds on the computer, but straight up analog modulation?

Man, theres alot of them out there, and they sound pretty cool, but seriously, its SOOOO much better twisting them knobs on a real synth. In my book it just doesnt even compare.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

its SOOOO much better twisting them knobs on a real synth. In my book it just doesnt even compare.

• hermithermit 15 Posts
    agreed, i'd recommend an E-MU proteus 2000, powerful biatch,

• excuse my ignorance on the subject of computer synth/keyboard emulators...but how does using these emulators actually work? I personally use Cubase to record with along with a MPC for sampling and playing. So lets say you have a Moog emulator or something..do you just open it within Cubase(or whatever) and play it?

Also..people pay for these things? I mean..I know people are SUPPOSED to pay for Pro Tools,Cubase,Photoshop,Illustrator,blah blah blah but no one(or not many at least) really does. Most people I know(me as well) just DL progs from off the net or get a pirated copy from a friend. Is it just as easy to find these synths and shit that way?

Clueless in South Crack

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts

man, I have a pc myself, but ive been kicking myself for not buying a mac for about 2 years. If you want to do anything with music, its a better idea.

So what im reading is that you want something that emulates analog synths right? not neccesarily like just having keyboard sounds on the computer, but straight up analog modulation?

Man, theres alot of them out there, and they sound pretty cool, but seriously, its SOOOO much better twisting them knobs on a real synth. In my book it just doesnt even compare.

thanks for your help.
    yeah, it's more that i'd like to try these analog synth emulators in addition to using old synths that i already have.
    i've been happy enough with my current setup just fine but out of curiousity i want to try some of this shit out.

now, i'm (obviously) pretty dumb in terms of computer setup shit so excuse me if this question is idiotic:
    if i do go ahead and go with the mbox/protools setup, is it easy/cheap enough to use soft-synths with it? i'll have to get some kind of midi attachment for the mbox, right? or how are those m-audio keyboards that you can plug into a usb port?

• rpmrpm 144 Posts
    and I've been looking for that mellotron emulator for a hot minute. If anybody can hook it up...

... me too!!!!
    damn the libraries a hard to download.

thanks for your help.
    yeah, it's more that i'd like to try these analog synth emulators in addition to using old synths that i already have.
    i've been happy enough with my current setup just fine but out of curiousity i want to try some of this shit out.

now, i'm (obviously) pretty dumb in terms of computer setup shit so excuse me if this question is idiotic:
    if i do go ahead and go with the mbox/protools setup, is it easy/cheap enough to use soft-synths with it? i'll have to get some kind of midi attachment for the mbox, right? or how are those m-audio keyboards that you can plug into a usb port?

it all depends on how you want to record it. It will work with an mbox and a 50 dollar midi in/out from m-audio and any standard midi controller keyboard. Then you run the softsynths rewired as plugins into protools.

Or you can go with one of those m-audio keyboards that also serves as an audio interface and run shit into any other DAW program other than protools.

Does that help?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

????????

ha-hah!

that's me, "LATENT AS I WANNA BE"