Stealing wireless

funkyexamplefunkyexample 915 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
I heard a story on (local?) NPR recently about people stealing wireless internet from their neighbors. i have been thinking that it is genius. Officials were estimating that only 1/3 of people who have wireless networks secure them properly. people who had these networks went both ways- guerilla aka i don't care who uses my network and of course the opposite i pay for it- it's mine.been thinking about trying to piggy back, especially being in my area. seems like alot of folks would have wireless and not be smart or knowledgable enough to secure it. anyone care to weigh in?p's taters

Comments

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I'm not doing it now, but I did that for months. There are a couple of unsecure wireless connections in range of my house. I think there are a lot of people who leave their connections open on purpose, too. There's a small "free wireless for all" revolution going on in some geek circles.

• hell yeah, i run torrents, limewire, and soulseek on that unsecured shit all day.

bottom line is if its there, its there.

• hell yeah, i run torrents, limewire, and soulseek on that unsecured shit all day.

bottom line is if its there, its there.

After doing some more research it appears that it isn't even illegal in most places.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I figure, those waves are entering my private space, so they're mine now. I was on a high speed wireless network for almost 2 years. I figured out who's it was when they moved out and the network was gone. I had to give in and pay for it after that.

I don't believe there are any laws against it either. It would be pretty messed up if someone got sued by the RIAA for file sharing or busted for threatening the president because of someone jacking their network.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Just moved into my new place and I'm pickin up a connection. One less bill...

• Just moved into my new place and I'm pickin up a connection. One less bill...

If anyone is into giving direction on how exactly this is done with a newer g4 powerbook, pm me. i will kindly trade a decent record for good info haha...

Turn on airport, if network is available, click it.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    when someone steals all your passwords, credit card info, and anything else you would consider private while you are connected to an unsecure wireless network, please do not complain about it

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    when someone steals all your passwords, credit card info, and anything else you would consider private while you are connected to an unsecure wireless network, please do not complain about it

this is a problem if you're connected to the internet, period
    of course it makes it just a little easier if it's via an open wireless connection

most wireless speeds are not as fast as a land line, but for most purposes are fast enough for browsing, downloading of songs, etc

I prefer the line I pay for, no need to worry about speeds or wireless piggybacking. If I couldn't afford it, I'd go wireless in a heartbeat.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    i live in a townhouse in a college town (tallahassee, fl), and right now im picking up 12 diffrent networks

6 are unsecured.

im actually using someone elses network right now (have been all school year). funny thing is we (me and my roommates) have a wireless router, but its in my roommates room who doesnt know how to set it up. So we are paying for internet, but only my roommate accesses the internet we are paying for.

• actually I have PSP
    I try outside to steal lines but can work
    i need password

• chasechase 767 Posts
    cop ya one of these you'll be picking up networks all over the place..

• sorry
    psp always ask me password..
    so how can i get pass????

• girgir 329 Posts
    cop ya one of these you'll be picking up networks all over the place..

you'll be picking up networks farther away in the direction you point it, not all over the place. antennas and such are better suited for all over the place than the pringles cans.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    sorry

sorry

So true.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    i live in a townhouse in a college town (tallahassee, fl), and right now im picking up 12 diffrent networks

Resk, you write (graffiti)? I was in Orlando last week and "Resk" was the only name I saw up.

Herm

• reskresk 391 Posts
    RESK aint even a name i use honestly, im one of those peoples who normally just goes by my first name (government name). But when i did write a decade ago, it was one of many names i used. I lost my old password for my old screenname so just came up with a random name that i used in the past when reregistering on here.

i do know a couple graff cats from orlando, resk isnt one of them. Shit theyre probably too old to be writing anyways, im real out of the graff loop.

carlos