Weirdos - Yours?

DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
I just found a Talking Heads 12" for Burning Down the House and found something interesting on the flip (either the b-side or track 2 on the A side)...The song is slowed down a lot and when you play it on 45 it sounds right. Through the first few bars i sped it up on the slider just because it was draggin so much, when the vocals came in i realized what was up.Ohio Express 45 (b-side of Yummy Yummy) is all backwards (played, sure but something like that on a single?) So obviously you've gotta spin it backwards...the drums are pretty tight too.What kind of wierd stuff do you guys have? Stuff that makes you go beyond just hitting Play.Friday.....for some.

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Ohio Express 45 (b-side of Yummy Yummy) is all backwards (played, sure but something like that on a single?)

I once interviewed Kasenetz-Katz (the producers of the Ohio Express and similar bubblegum bands), and they said they used to put backwards B-sides on a lot of their 45's just to make sure that the DJ's played the correct A-side. Others include "Pow Wow" (flip of the 1910 Fruitgum Company's "Indian Giver") and "Hips & Lips" (flip side of some copies of Crazy Elephant's "Gimme Gimme Good Lovin'," before they replaced it with something else).

So obviously you've gotta spin it backwards...

I don't know, man...I think it sounds better spun FRONTWARDS (so you can hear it backwards!).

The song itself is actually "Poor Old Mr. Jensen"*** with the vocals removed, and to be honest, it sounds way better instrumental and backwards.

What kind of wierd stuff do you guys have?

Besides being a devotee of backwards flip sides, I still have that Mad Magazine flexidisc from the late 70's or so ("It's A Super-Spectacular Day") with the concentric grooves (you know, you lower the needle on the record and get a different version of the song every time).

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    The song itself is actually "Poor Old Mr. Jensen"*** with the vocals removed, and to be honest, it sounds way better instrumental and backwards.

The thing i like about it, frontways, is that sort of epic cinematic feel, which is why those snare hits get me. i feel you on the backways thing though. My non-record savy friends look at me like some kind of genius when i spin it backwards.

Thanks for the info, never knew they did it so DJs would play the right track.

Thank god for payola and Clear Channel and all that, nobody would ever make that kind of mistake today.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Besides being a devotee of backwards flip sides, I still have that Mad Magazine flexidisc from the late 70's or so ("It's A Super-Spectacular Day") with the concentric grooves (you know, you lower the needle on the record and get a different version of the song every time).

I think dollar_bin is looking for one of those flexis you mentioned...^^^

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

Word up! Actually, I'm looking for the horse race record but it's the same concept.

Off the top of my head, I remember that They're Going to Take Me Away 45 by Napoleon XIV has the reverse of the track on the flip, and the graphics printed backwards as well.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    i think there were also some old bugs bunny childrens stories that were like that as well... would always play differently (like a choose-your-own-adventure that would choose itself)... the rumor i heard though, is that with use, certain grooves get a little more worn and therefore the record starts always playing the same.

but i always thought this would be AWESOME technology to use for music... an album that never plays the same twice.

in the same vein, there were also a couple of comedy records that used it on one side (two different possibilities on one side of the record) such as monty python and i think cheech and chong did one as well.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I always liked that double- grooved De La Soul joint w/ Brain Washed Hippie/somethin' like that.

in the same vein, there were also a couple of comedy records that used it on one side (two different possibilities on one side of the record) such as monty python and i think cheech and chong did one as well.

i bought all the cheech and chong albums in my younger days, and i dont recall them doing the "trick track" thing, but there was a henny youngmann album on rhino that used that gimmick

Off the top of my head, I remember that They're Going to Take Me Away 45 by Napoleon XIV has the reverse of the track on the flip, and the graphics printed backwards as well.

Yeah, there was a non-hit single by Zalman Yanovsky (from the Lovin' Spoonful) on Buddah that used the same backwards flip side thing. Also "Yellow Balloon" by the Yellow Balloon on Canterbury.

i bought all the cheech and chong albums in my younger days, and i dont recall them doing the "trick track" thing, but there was a henny youngmann album on rhino that used that gimmick

found this online...

"Cheech & Chong did something similar with the "Rip-Off Album". Each side had two grooves. One was the album, and the other was a groove that went the entire length and simply said "You've been ripped off" over and over. This made it entirely possible that no matter where you put the needle, on either side, you could get the second groove.

If memory serves me right, this was accompanied by a huge advertising and marketing campaign for the album, which consisted mostly of C&C saying not to buy the album, it's a rip off, etc."

from http://www.eeggs.com/items/2874.html

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Word up! Actually, I'm looking for the horse race record but it's the same concept.

I find those "Different Winner Every Time" Horse Race records fairly often but the other day I found a Vegas Roulette LP that apparently has 50 grooves on it and comes up a different # per groove??

If you ever come across the Marianne Faithful 45 of Sister Morphine play it at 33 and you's SWEAR it was Mick Jagger singing!!!

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    What kind of wierd stuff do you guys have? Stuff that makes you go beyond just hitting Play.

Friday.....for some.

not too weird but on a backwards tip...if you listen to "Another one bites the dust" by queen, there is a part where freddie goes acapella with only handclaps, chanting the chorus...if you flip this part backwards, he is actually saying (with a little help of imagination): "start to smoke mariuhana"...

What kind of wierd stuff do you guys have? Stuff that makes you go beyond just hitting Play.

Friday.....for some.

not too weird but on a backwards tip...if you listen to "Another one bites the dust" by queen, there is a part where freddie goes acapella with only handclaps, chanting the chorus...if you flip this part backwards, he is actually saying (with a little help of imagination): "start to smoke mariuhana"...

i believe it was actually satan saying that

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts

http://jeffmilner.com/backmasking.htm

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    I find those "Different Winner Every Time" Horse Race records fairly often but the other day I found a Vegas Roulette LP that apparently has 50 grooves on it and comes up a different # per groove??

i have a Bingo one back home that i believe works the same way.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Fascinating thread! Check out the following forum for more discussion on backwards flipsides.

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/bsnpubs/vpost?id=860477

SG

• moby grape had a 78 rpm cut on one of their LPs

boyd rice/non had a record with a choice of center holes

the feeders had a record that was packaged in sandpaper (for that pre-worn look)

lee renaldo had a record with concentric grooves

RRR had a couple comps of locked grooves, one of them with like 200 artists on it. easy winner of "longest potential record award"

has anyone ever made a commercially available inside-start record?

there are some more recent compilations of "locked grooves" by various electronic artists as well... think the compilations were just called that... "locked grooves".

which lee renaldo has the concentric grooves?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I wanna say that there's a Shapeshifters 45 with a inside start b-side

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

didn't the ruins have a 7" that played at 16 rpm? maybe it wasn't the ruins...i can't remember.

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    How'bout those Zoviet France records that were packaged with roofing shingles,pieces of wood,burlap,etc...?

Flower Travellin' Band-Make Up Lp with the leather "carrying case"? sweet.

Farmyard-s/t with the plastic bag as a cover.(NZ psych)

• from here to infinity on SST. think it was also on colored wax too, like gray marbly?

anyone ever tried to play an etched side of a record?

there's actually a new children's book about a kid who plays around with an old stylus & discovers hidden messages in his blue jeans and in potato chips. shades of that old urban myth about audio-encoded potsherds...

anyone ever tried to play an etched side of a record?

Split Enz' True Colors album was etched, and plays pretty good.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

didn't the ruins have a 7" that played at 16 rpm? maybe it wasn't the ruins...i can't remember.

There are two early EARTH 7"s that play at 16... I have at least one, never heard it the right way however

I had a Velvet Underground bootleg at one point (maybe still do? it frustrated me so much I may have dumped it though) that wasn't right... neither 33 nor 45 was the right speed... but I didn't have a pitch control at that point, it may be usable now...

• yeah, i was thinking of novelty playback techniques, not packaging. there's a motorhead in leather too. and a 5" melvins record, but those aren't too special if you collect flexis and cardboard records or whatever...
    and it was earth that made 16 rpm 7"....

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

I have an inside starting Flock of Seagalls 12"

here's one you may not of heard of... unfortunately it's not by a band i really care for...

the psychedelic furs put out a 7" which had the music pressed on the record AND on the sleeve... so you can hear the same songs if you play the sleeve.