Spartanburg SC

Double_BDouble_B 169 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
I will be in Spartanburg SC this weekend with most of my freetime being on Friday afternoon/evening.Does anyone know of any record stores or digging spots in the area? Bars or restaurants would be appreciated too.Thanks!

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    There's Salvation Army downtown where I've come up. There's a good record store in Greenville, which is about 10 mins from Spburg, but I forgot the name and they may or may not still be open.

• Double_BDouble_B 169 Posts
    Thanks dude. I was working sound the whole weekend unfortunately and didn't get to check anything out. Spartanburg is funny though. It's kind of suburban, but I've never seen more check advance stores and pawn shops in one area. Seriously we drove for like 10 minutes and saw probably 15 of those! No joke!

• what good record store are you referring to in Greenville? Horizon?

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    Thanks dude. I was working sound the whole weekend unfortunately and didn't get to check anything out. Spartanburg is funny though. It's kind of suburban, but I've never seen more check advance stores and pawn shops in one area. Seriously we drove for like 10 minutes and saw probably 15 of those! No joke!

Anywhere you see a bunch of check cashing stores and liquor stores and no banks you know it's probably not somewhere you want to spend a lot of time...at least not after dark.

My grandmother's family all live in Spartanburg, but the most time I've ever spent there is spending the night in hotels there on the way out to Myrtle Beach for summer vacations. My grandmother's side of the family had a bit of racism in them (just the old south upbringing, not white supremacy or anything) so I never had any desire to really spend a lot of time there.

• Spartanburg sucks. So does Greenville...nothing here except bitch ass good ol' boys and crooked officials. This place is a trap.

yes. horizon. i foundn good stuff there about 6 years ago. are they still open? anygood?

• yes. horizon. i foundn good stuff there about 6 years ago. are they still open? anygood?

Things have probably changed a lot in 6 years. They moved the store downtown to a 'hipper' spot. An employee that works there is a friend of mine and basically picks over everything before it even hits the floor. A few months ago he snagged a mint Moses Dillard 45 which he probably paid zero for and sold it on Ebay for $1,800(maybe it was $1,500). Regardless..I rarely see good shit in there anymore. The owner is a dick, too.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    The owner is a dick, too.

• yes. horizon. i foundn good stuff there about 6 years ago. are they still open? anygood?

Things have probably changed a lot in 6 years. They moved the store downtown to a 'hipper' spot. An employee that works there is a friend of mine and basically picks over everything before it even hits the floor. A few months ago he snagged a mint Moses Dillard 45 which he probably paid zero for and sold it on Ebay for $1,800(maybe it was $1,500). Regardless..I rarely see good shit in there anymore. The owner is a dick, too.

Yea, he got that "Now!" LP, $2, resold for $1,800.

They have crap for the most part, and will often try to charge you $8 for shit like, Bar-Kays "Too Hot To Stop" or something. But then, you can get the mint Edwin Birdsong for $2??

I worked there on and off for a few years. Primarily pricing 45s. Its a "by the book" type situation in there. Actually pretty embarrasing at times.

Spartanburg has a few decent spots. A really banging salvage shop i can never remember the name of. Dude is a dick about it, but he has a SHIT LOAD of 45s, in the back, in his van, at home, etc.... But, he wont take you to them, and he only brings a tiny bit at a time. I had a couple of really nice come ups there a while back on Disco/Boogie 12"s. A few P&P bangers, etc...

But stay as far away from Greenville as possible. You may never leave.

C.

Dude. What about BJU?

more...

http://www.bju.edu/prospective/expect/index.html

Student Expectations
    Dress Code for Men
    General Dress

Hair must be cut in a traditional, conservative style???not shaved, spiked, tangled, or shelved. It may not be colored or highlighted.
    Sideburns should not extend past the middle of the ear. Men are expected to remain clean-shaven.

Necklaces, earrings, and bracelets are not permitted.

Hats may not be worn indoors except in the gym.

Men are not permitted to get tattoos or wear body piercings.

Abercrombie & Fitch and its subsidiary Hollister have shown an unusual degree of antagonism to the name of Christ and an unusual display of wickedness in their promotions. In protest, we will not allow articles displaying their logos to be worn, carried, or displayed (even if covered or masked in some way).[/b]

Morning Dress???dress shirt (no denim/chambray) with tie, dress or neat casual pants (no jeans, cargo, carpenter, or sloppy pants), dress or leather casual shoes; sweaters should show shirt collar and tie knot (no sweatshirts).

Afternoon Dress???collared shirt (no crew necks), neat casual pants, dress or casual shoes (no slides or sandals), socks above the ankle, sweatshirts or sweaters.

Sunday Dress???coat, tie, and dress shirt; dress shoes; dress or dressier casual pants.

Recreation and Work Dress???jeans, t-shirts, shorts at athletic facilities (not as spectators at sports events), sleeveless athletic shirts (indoor activities only), socks required (including at work).

Dress Code for Women

Classroom/general dress consists of a dress or top and skirt; however, pants may be worn for some recreational activities. Shorts may never be worn outside the residence halls and fitness center.

Tops

Tops must be long enough that the midriff is never exposed.
    Sleeves are required. (Sleeveless tops and dresses may be worn with a blouse, jacket, or sweater.)

Necklines may come no lower than four fingers below the collarbone.
    Skirts

Hemlines and slits or other openings should never come higher than the bottom of the knee.

Denim skirts may be worn for casual dress (not to class or other professional-type events).

Pants

Loose-fitting pants may be worn between women's residence halls, for athletic events, and to homes in the area.

Loose-fitting jeans may be worn between women's residence halls and when participating in activities where the durability of the fabric is important, such as skiing and ice-skating.

Ease

All dresses, skirts, pants, and shirts must be loose-fitting, having a minimum of three inches of ease at bust and hips.

An informal way to measure ease is to stand up straight and pinch the loose fabric on both sides of the hips or at the bust line. Without stretching the fabric, there should be at least a 3/4-inch fold of fabric on both sides.
    Other

Sheer clothing may be worn only when the garment underneath conforms to normal dress regulations.

Hose must be worn for all professional-type activities including class, church, and recitals.

Combat boots, hiking boots, or shoes that give this appearance are not permitted.

Hairstyles should be neat, orderly, and feminine. Avoid cutting-edge fads and cuts so short that they take on a masculine look.

Students are not permitted to get tattoos. Excessive makeup is not permitted.

Earrings may be worn only in the lobe of the ear (maximum of two matched sets).

All other types of body piercings are prohibited.

Please note the statement concerning Abercrombie & Fitch under Men's General Dress.

• Dude. What about BJU?

more...

http://www.bju.edu/prospective/expect/index.html

Student Expectations
    Dress Code for Men
    General Dress

Hair must be cut in a traditional, conservative style???not shaved, spiked, tangled, or shelved. It may not be colored or highlighted.
    Sideburns should not extend past the middle of the ear. Men are expected to remain clean-shaven.

Necklaces, earrings, and bracelets are not permitted.

Hats may not be worn indoors except in the gym.

Men are not permitted to get tattoos or wear body piercings.

Abercrombie & Fitch and its subsidiary Hollister have shown an unusual degree of antagonism to the name of Christ and an unusual display of wickedness in their promotions. In protest, we will not allow articles displaying their logos to be worn, carried, or displayed (even if covered or masked in some way).[/b]

Morning Dress???dress shirt (no denim/chambray) with tie, dress or neat casual pants (no jeans, cargo, carpenter, or sloppy pants), dress or leather casual shoes; sweaters should show shirt collar and tie knot (no sweatshirts).

Afternoon Dress???collared shirt (no crew necks), neat casual pants, dress or casual shoes (no slides or sandals), socks above the ankle, sweatshirts or sweaters.

Sunday Dress???coat, tie, and dress shirt; dress shoes; dress or dressier casual pants.

Recreation and Work Dress???jeans, t-shirts, shorts at athletic facilities (not as spectators at sports events), sleeveless athletic shirts (indoor activities only), socks required (including at work).

Dress Code for Women

Classroom/general dress consists of a dress or top and skirt; however, pants may be worn for some recreational activities. Shorts may never be worn outside the residence halls and fitness center.

Tops

Tops must be long enough that the midriff is never exposed.
    Sleeves are required. (Sleeveless tops and dresses may be worn with a blouse, jacket, or sweater.)

Necklines may come no lower than four fingers below the collarbone.
    Skirts

Hemlines and slits or other openings should never come higher than the bottom of the knee.

Denim skirts may be worn for casual dress (not to class or other professional-type events).

Pants

Loose-fitting pants may be worn between women's residence halls, for athletic events, and to homes in the area.

Loose-fitting jeans may be worn between women's residence halls and when participating in activities where the durability of the fabric is important, such as skiing and ice-skating.

Ease

All dresses, skirts, pants, and shirts must be loose-fitting, having a minimum of three inches of ease at bust and hips.

An informal way to measure ease is to stand up straight and pinch the loose fabric on both sides of the hips or at the bust line. Without stretching the fabric, there should be at least a 3/4-inch fold of fabric on both sides.
    Other

Sheer clothing may be worn only when the garment underneath conforms to normal dress regulations.

Hose must be worn for all professional-type activities including class, church, and recitals.

Combat boots, hiking boots, or shoes that give this appearance are not permitted.

Hairstyles should be neat, orderly, and feminine. Avoid cutting-edge fads and cuts so short that they take on a masculine look.

Students are not permitted to get tattoos. Excessive makeup is not permitted.

Earrings may be worn only in the lobe of the ear (maximum of two matched sets).

All other types of body piercings are prohibited.

Please note the statement concerning Abercrombie & Fitch under Men's General Dress.

I dont get it.....this sounds like a good time right?