›

Using Gemm For A Price Check

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
You find an LP you're not familar with......you give it a listen and it's pretty good.....you look on ebay and poopseek and you can't find a thing about it.....then you hit Gemm and there is only one copy listed for $196.00...from your experience this usually means...A) It's worth at least 10 bucksB) It's worth $196.00C) It must be worth at least 1/2 the $196.00 because there is only one copy listedD) Absolutely nothingCan I get a real world

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    That record's in demand right now.
    I think taking 1/2 to 3/4 the value listed on Gemm is a good gauge.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

I think taking 1/2 to 3/4 the value listed on Gemm is a good gauge.

...unless the listing dealer is none other than the magnificent RECSIM.

SG

• jazzman21jazzman21 287 Posts

RECSIM

This dude's prices are so ridiculous you can't help but laugh.

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    You really cant trust gemm Id agree with the 1/2 price. But some of the prices are crazzzy. Gemm has gotten my hopes up on records value. I dont even bother with it anymore.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Well, check the seller's other LPs for commensurate value. If he's got Thriller for $30, you know something's up.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Gemm is useful as a price guide when you have a few listings of a record. But when you have only one listing to work with, my experience is that 9 times out of 10, the price is way off. You can't put a proportion on it because the listing could soemtimes be hundreds and you know the record is worth 20-50. Gemm can be insane, and also insanely useful.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I hate gemm now. I bought a lot on there about 6 years ago.

Also, notice the sellers with retarded prices usually have one or two stars. If you got a legit big money record put it on eBay with a reserve dumbass.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I love looking through piles of unsorted 45s for hours & then get them priced off gemm...

"what do you mean you don't want to buy the record? the price I quoted you is half the gemm price!!!"

---

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    1/2

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

I sold one on eBay a few months back for $6.95. Not a good record at all. There is a sick beat on there on the last track, dough

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    GEMM is only good for finding out if a record is worthless... you see multiple copies on there under 10, you know the deal... otherwise you're going to have to tap into other resources to get to the truth...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

I sold one on eBay a few months back for $6.95. Not a good record at all. There is a sick beat on there on the last track, dough

I'm going with this appraisal.....maybe I'll get $9.99 for it....I'll put it on ebay and we can all see where it ends up.....will it help if I list it as "Funky Black Woman Soul"???