Bush Authorized Plame Leak

13»

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I hope everyone is updating their little timelines to reflect the actual truth.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

NO we're so fucking stupid that we ignore facts in favor of vague and intangible future scenarios.

Do you really think this completely clears the administration of involvement in this? You probably do. Is that all that matters? That seems to be the MO. Seems the standard for this admininstration--that swept in under bringing dignity "back" to White House--has "we didn't break the law" as an only standard. Interesting. And hell, if you do actually break the law, why not go ahead and retrofit?

NO we're so fucking stupid that we ignore facts in favor of vague and intangible future scenarios.

Do you really think completely clears the administration of involvement in this? Probably. But that seems to be the MO. Seems the standard for this admininstration--that swept in under bringing dignity "back" to White House only--has we didn't break the law as a standard. Interesting. And hell, if you do break the law, why not go ahead and retrofit?

You don't even make sense, you're possitively appoplectic about this aren't you. Good, I'm glad. Keep the dream alive.

Do you really think completely clears the administration of involvement in this? Probably. But that seems to be the MO. Seems the standard for this admininstration--that swept in under bringing dignity "back" to White House only--has we didn't break the law as a standard. Interesting. And hell, if you do break the law, why not go ahead and retrofit?

You don't even make sense, you're possitively appoplectic about this aren't you. Good, I'm glad. Keep the dream alive.

Listen, Peter. I know you're not very good with details and long sentences. So let me spell it out:

Armitage leaked Plame to the media first. Not Rove, Cheney or Bush. That does not clear them of wrong doing.

And let me also clarify my position. Again.

I am not trying to hunt down these people to remove them from office. That's what you people do.

I simply want to understand the facts here. If Bush Co. were completely uninvolved with the Plame issue, it would be terribly out of step with their normal style. We can't have our boys slipping liek that.

Listen, Peter. I know you're not very good with details and long sentences. So let me spell it out:

Armitage leaked Plame to the media first. Not Rove, Cheney or Bush. That does not clear them of wrong doing.

Did Special Prosecutor Fitzgerald Lie?
    INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY

Posted 8/29/2006

Plamegate: Patrick Fitzgerald's three-year manhunt to track down who blew Valerie Plame's CIA "cover" has been exposed as a costly sham. He apparently knew all along that his man was not Scooter Libby.

From IBD too, thats gotta hurt.

• Here it is. From the pages of the Washington Post.
    Read it and weep, chumps.

End of an Affair
    It turns out that the person who exposed CIA agent Valerie Plame was not out to punish her husband.

Friday, September 1, 2006; A20

WE'RE RELUCTANT to return to the subject of former CIA employee Valerie Plame because of our oft-stated belief that far too much attention and debate in Washington has been devoted to her story and that of her husband, former ambassador Joseph C. Wilson IV, over the past three years. But all those who have opined on this affair ought to take note of the not-so-surprising disclosure that the primary source of the newspaper column in which Ms. Plame's cover as an agent was purportedly blown in 2003 was former deputy secretary of state Richard L. Armitage.

Mr. Armitage was one of the Bush administration officials who supported the invasion of Iraq only reluctantly. He was a political rival of the White House and Pentagon officials who championed the war and whom Mr. Wilson accused of twisting intelligence about Iraq and then plotting to destroy him. Unaware that Ms. Plame's identity was classified information, Mr. Armitage reportedly passed it along to columnist Robert D. Novak "in an offhand manner, virtually as gossip," according to a story this week by the Post's R. Jeffrey

Smith, who quoted a former colleague of Mr. Armitage.

It follows that one of the most sensational charges leveled against the Bush White House -- that it orchestrated the leak of Ms. Plame's identity to ruin her career and thus punish Mr. Wilson -- is untrue.[/b] The partisan clamor that followed the raising of that allegation by Mr. Wilson in the summer of 2003 led to the appointment of a special prosecutor, a costly and prolonged investigation, and the indictment of Vice President Cheney's chief of staff, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, on charges of perjury. All of that might have been avoided had Mr. Armitage's identity been known three years ago.

That's not to say that Mr. Libby and other White House officials are blameless. As prosecutor Patrick J. Fitzgerald has reported, when Mr. Wilson charged that intelligence about Iraq had been twisted to make a case for war, Mr. Libby and Mr. Cheney reacted by inquiring about Ms. Plame's role in recommending Mr. Wilson for a CIA-sponsored trip to Niger, where he investigated reports that Iraq had sought to purchase uranium. Mr. Libby then allegedly disclosed Ms. Plame's identity to journalists and lied to a grand jury when he said he had learned of her identity from one of those reporters. Mr. Libby and his boss, Mr. Cheney, were trying to discredit Mr. Wilson; if Mr. Fitzgerald's account is correct,[/b] they were careless about handling information that was classified.

Nevertheless, it now appears that the person most responsible for the end of Ms. Plame's CIA career is Mr. Wilson. Mr. Wilson chose to go public with an explosive charge, claiming -- falsely, as it turned out -- that he had debunked reports of Iraqi uranium-shopping in Niger and that his report had circulated to senior administration officials.[/b] He ought to have expected that both those officials and journalists such as Mr. Novak would ask why a retired ambassador would have been sent on such a mission and that the answer would point to his wife. He diverted responsibility from himself and his false charges by claiming that President Bush's closest aides had engaged in an illegal conspiracy. It's unfortunate that so many people took him seriously.[/b]

read it again chump. as this EDITORIAL points out, there were two sides leaking: Armitage and Libby (and co.). this whole issue has been resurrected SOLELY because Novak's INITIAL source was exposed as Armitage. however, that is not the end of the story, its only one minor aspect of it....albeit newsworthy because people long suspected that Cheney or Rove was the unnamed source (which, if true, would have been one of the biggest scandals to ever hit washington). none of this comes as a revalation, and does absolutely nothing to disprove the likelihood that Cheney, Rove and even Bush were well aware of the campaign to discredit Wilson by exposing Plame.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Can we get a "Pissing Contest" graemlin plaese.

read it again chump. as this EDITORIAL points out, there were two sides leaking: Armitage and Libby (and co.). this whole issue has been resurrected SOLELY because Novak's INITIAL source was exposed as Armitage. however, that is not the end of the story, its only one minor aspect of it....albeit newsworthy because people long suspected that Cheney or Rove was the unnamed source (which, if true, would have been one of the biggest scandals to ever hit washington). none of this comes as a revalation, and does absolutely nothing to disprove the likelihood that Cheney, Rove and even Bush were well aware of the campaign to discredit Wilson by exposing Plame.

If you believe this:

Mr. Armitage reportedly passed it along to columnist Robert D. Novak "in an offhand manner, virtually as gossip,"[/b] according to a story this week by the Post's R. Jeffrey

I've got a bridge for sale, in the Brooklyn area....

This administration engages in hair-splitting and parsing to an unbelievable degree. They attempt to defuse news bombs by triple-talking their way through every situation until only the most dedicated digger can get to the original kernel of truth. Fuck them all.

Can we also get a right-wing circle jerk icon for threads like these?

As a neutral observer it appears to me that this thread started as a left wing circle jerk and evolved into pissing contest.

• Can we also get a right-wing circle jerk icon for threads like these?

As a neutral observer it appears to me that this thread started as a left wing circle jerk and evolved into pissing contest.

Neutral, eh? (cough....)

• Thanks for buying my book. Losers.

• Thanks for buying my book. Losers.

I'd exspose myself to Valerie Plame.

Neutral, eh? (cough....)

Amazingly there are actually Americans who don't fall in lock step to the two zombie-like sides of the political zoo.

I have no opinion whatsoever on this particular topic, therefore it's pretty safe to say I am plame old neutral.

• it's pretty safe to say I am plame old neutral.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Now that this is over. We can finally get to hear about those populist policies that the Dems ought to be adopting in order to bring his vote back. I am reviewing all of this guys tapes in preparation for his presentation.

BTW separated at birth?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Neutral, eh? (cough....)

Amazingly there are actually Americans who don't fall in lock step to the two zombie-like sides of the political zoo.

I have no opinion whatsoever on this particular topic, therefore it's pretty safe to say I am plame old neutral.
    You join the respected ranks of South Park hackery

• New Questions About Inquiry in C.I.A. Leak

By DAVID JOHNSTON
    Published: September 2, 2006

WASHINGTON, Sept. 1 ??? An enduring mystery of the C.I.A. leak case has been solved in recent days, but with a new twist: Patrick J. Fitzgerald, the prosecutor, knew the identity of the leaker from his very first day in the special counsel???s chair, but kept the inquiry open for nearly two more years before indicting I. Lewis Libby Jr., Vice President Dick Cheney???s former chief of staff, on obstruction charges.

Now, the question of whether Mr. Fitzgerald properly exercised his prosecutorial discretion in continuing to pursue possible wrongdoing in the case has become the subject of rich debate on editorial pages and in legal and political circles.

New Questions About Inquiry in C.I.A. Leak

By DAVID JOHNSTON

WASHINGTON, Sept. 1 ??? An enduring mystery of the C.I.A. leak case has been solved in recent days, but with a new twist: Patrick J. Fitzgerald, the prosecutor, knew the identity of the leaker from his very first day in the special counsel???s chair, but kept the inquiry open for nearly two more years before indicting I. Lewis Libby Jr., Vice President Dick Cheney???s former chief of staff, on obstruction charges.

Now, the question of whether Mr. Fitzgerald properly exercised his prosecutorial discretion in continuing to pursue possible wrongdoing in the case has become the subject of rich debate on editorial pages and in legal and political circles.

we were all wrong. so wrong. Bush Co. was totally dragged through the coals for no good reason other than sore loser partisan hackery. it's terrible. it's a waste of the taxpayer's money. leave the President alone and let him get to the People's work. RIGHT? let him do his job! oh, speaking of...

how's that going?

• New Questions About Inquiry in C.I.A. Leak

By DAVID JOHNSTON

we were all wrong. so wrong. Bush Co. was totally dragged through the coals for no good reason other than sore loser partisan hackery. it's terrible. it's a waste of the taxpayer's money. leave the President alone and let him get to the People's work. RIGHT? let him do his job! oh, speaking of...

how's that going?

Looks like its doing pretty good to me.

Rallying on the jobs report
    Major gauges show strength after employment, consumer confidence reports; oil prices slip.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Stocks rallied in light trading Friday ahead of the Labor Day weekend as investors welcomed a job report that showed strong, but not too strong growth and only mild wage inflation.

Stocks ended little changed Thursday after an unusually strong August. The tone Friday, the first day of September, was positive as well, as investors welcomed a slew of mostly upbeat economic news.

"The news was good this morning and so you're seeing a positive equity market reaction, but it's hard to make a lot of it because the volume is so low ahead of the holiday," said Robert Phillips, president and CIO at Walnut Asset Management.

Monday is Labor Day and U.S. financial markets are closed.

Employers added 128,000 workers to payrolls last month, up from 121,000 the previous month and just above economists' forecasts for 125,000. The unemployment rate dipped to 4.7 percent from 4.8 percent.

Meanwhile, the report's inflation indicator, average hourly earnings, rose a smaller-than-expected 0.1 percent.

The report seemed to support recent hopes that the economic slowdown will not be as bad as has been feared. In addition, the mild read on inflation helped relieve concerns that upward pricing pressure will cause the Federal Reserve to resume its recently paused interest-rate hike campaign.

Whoo-hoo!

I love how the best you can do is cherry pick some wall st. data to indicate that things are just fine or not that bad. thank god nobody paid attention to that census data that came out last week. propaganda.

hey, since the economy is booming--and we clearly agree on that...

let's move on to foreign policy.

how's that going?

• Whoo-hoo!

I love how the best you can do is cherry pick some wall st. data to indicate that things are just fine or not that bad. thank god nobody paid attention to that census data that came out last week. propaganda.

hey, since he economy is booming--and we clearly agree on that...

how's that going?

Shall we adjourn to the "British Bomb plot was a hoax" thread?

Whoo-hoo!

hey, since he economy is booming--and we clearly agree on that...

how's that going?

Shall we adjourn to the "British Bomb plot was a hoax" thread?

Wow, I'm so surprised that you dodged that question. Your credibility just went from zero to zero.

• Meanwhile, the report's inflation indicator, average hourly earnings, rose a smaller-than-expected 0.1 percent.

Table A. Percent changes in CPI for Urban Consumers (CPI-U)
    Seasonally adjusted Un-
    Compound adjusted
    Expenditure Changes from preceding month annual rate 12-mos.
    Category 2006 3-mos. ended ended
    Jan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May June July July '06 July '06
    All Items .7 .1 .4 .6 .4 .2 .4 4.5 4.1
    Food and beverages .5 .2 .1 .0 .2 .3 .2 2.7 2.2
    Housing .5 .1 .2 .1 .3 .2 .3 3.8 4.1
    Apparel .3 -1.0 1.0 .6 .2 .0 -1.2 -3.9 .0
    Transportation 1.8 -.2 .9 2.4 1.5 -.2 1.6 12.4 8.4
    Medical care .1 .5 .4 .4 .3 .3 .2 3.2 4.0
    Recreation .0 .1 .4 .3 .2 .1 .3 2.2 2.0
    Education and
    communication .4 .2 .2 .3 .0 .3 .3 2.4 3.0
    Other goods and
    services .3 .1 .2 .0 .1 .6 -.2 1.9 2.3
    Special Indexes
    Energy 5.0 -1.2 1.3 3.9 2.4 -.9 2.9 19.1 20.5
    Food .5 .1 .1 .0 .1 .3 .2 2.5 2.2
    All Items less
    food and energy .2 .1 .3 .3 .3 .3 .2 3.2 2.7

Its hard to be happy about the economy when the cost of living goes up more than wages.

• start by giving the source for the numbers

start by giving the source for the numbers

A***. Don't waste your time.

We're still waiting for you to respond to the foreign policy question.

• start by giving the source for the numbers

A***. Don't waste your time.

We're still waiting for you to respond to the foreign policy question.

He can google it is he wants to, I don't give a fuck.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts