Lies Lies Lies (GWB related)

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
http://apnews.myway.com//article/20060406/D8GQJRSG1.htmlRemember how Bush was all upset about CIA leaks? Remember how he said he would get to the bottom of it and how the White House wasn't involved? Turns out he was a lying liar.Dan

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Turns out he was a lying liar.
    hehe, look at him go... use your mouse:)

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    http://apnews.myway.com//article/20060406/D8GQJRSG1.html

Remember how Bush was all upset about CIA leaks? Remember how he said he would get to the bottom of it and how the White House wasn't involved? Turns out he was a lying liar.

Dan

What's this website? Is this news credible? If this is legitimate then this could be the thing that does your boy in.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

cant stop watching

• http://apnews.myway.com//article/20060406/D8GQJRSG1.html

Remember how Bush was all upset about CIA leaks? Remember how he said he would get to the bottom of it and how the White House wasn't involved? Turns out he was a lying liar.

Dan

What's this website? Is this news credible? If this is legitimate then this could be the thing that does your boy in.

Its up on CNN now...

I know some will call me a screaming, flaming liberal, but this is treason. fucking treason. Thanks, mr. security president.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Dan

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/04/06/libby.ap/index.html

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Dan

Yeah, it's a legit story. Here's an AP wire story about it. Frankly, I'm kind of curious what the defensive spin on this is going to be. I mean, typically, the spin is to call the accuser part of the dastardly liberal plot to destory the Preisdent through the politics of personal destruction, but they're gonna have a hard time portraying the Veep's chief of staff as a liberal hatchetman.

This could set up a bit of a Pres vs. Veep confrontation. Which can only mean one thing...

CRIPPLE FIGHT!

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    I was just goingto post something on this.
    Here it is from Salon.com:

Libby says Bush and Cheney authorized leak in Plame case
    The New York Sun's Web server is running slowly today under the weight of requests for a very, very important story: I. Lewis Libby, Vice President Dick Cheney's former chief of staff, has testified that President Bush and Cheney gave specific permission for Libby to leak details of the National Intelligence Estimate on Iraq, a classified document, to the press. The paper notes that if Libby's story is true, Bush isn't in any legal trouble -- it appears to be within his authority as president to allow classified information to be released to the public -- but it would indicate a major inconsistency with Bush's previous statements on the leak that led to the outing of undercover CIA agent Valerie Plame's identity. Bush has disclaimed any knowledge of the leak and called for anyone who was involved to be punished; if he and Cheney, as Libby now says, actually authorized the leak, well, that would be a story.

In October, Libby was charged with obstructing the investigation of the leak and lying to the grand jury and FBI; his trial is scheduled to begin in January. The Sun quotes a court document (PDF here) that Patrick Fitzgerald, the prosecutor in the case, filed yesterday. It outlines what Libby says occurred before he met the New York Times reporter Judith Miller on July 8, 2003.

According to the Sun, Libby's story goes like this: After Ambassador Joe Wilson questioned the accuracy of Bush's claim that Iraq had sought nuclear material in Africa, Dick Cheney told Libby to tell some reporters that the NIE contradicted Wilson's view. Libby says that he refused to do so because the NIE is classified. A little later on, Cheney told Libby that he had gone to Bush, and that Bush had authorized leaking information in the NIE. Libby was apparently still unsure about what to do, so he checked with David Addington, the vice president's legal counsel. Addington told him that leaking the information was O.K. because Bush's approval "amounted to a declassification of the document," court papers obtained by the Sun say.

One fact in the NIE that Libby says he was authorized to leak was the conclusion that Iraq was "vigorously trying to procure uranium"; Joe Wilson argued that there was no evidence of such a procurement effort. Cheney also allowed Libby to leak details surrounding Wilson's trip to Africa.

The Sun says that it isn't clear whether Bush knew that the NIE information was going to exclusively to Judith Miller, but Cheney knew that detail, according to Libby.

There's one amusing detail in the documents obtained by the Sun. After White House spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters that it was "ridiculous" to think that political advisor Karl Rove was the source of the Plame leak, Libby wrote a note to McClellan asking him to make a similar declaration about his -- that is, Libby's -- involvement. The Sun says that Libby's talking-points for McClellan were handwritten, but that as they read "like a stanza of verse" in the prosecutor's typewritten rendering. Libby wanted McClellan to say:

"People have made too much of the difference in
    How I described Karl and Libby
    I've talked to Libby.
    I said it was ridiculous about Karl
    And it is ridiculous about Libby.
    Libby was not the source of the Novak story.
    And he did not leak classified information."

McClellan later told reporters -- much to his eventual embarrassment -- that both Rove and Libby "assured me that they were not involved in this."

Now, the thing to bear in mind here is that this is just Libby's side of the story. And Libby, who's at the center of the storm, does have a reason to lie -- and he is, after all, charged with lying.

That said, from what we know about how this White House works -- or, really, about how any hierarchical organization probably works -- Libby's story does make a kind of intuitive sense. Libby was Cheney's chief of staff; it doesn't seem likely that he would have undertaken to counter the Wilson claims all by himself, without first checking at least with his boss. Moreover, Libby understood well that the NIE was a classified document, and, working for Bush and Cheney -- for whom secrecy is sacrosanct -- it doesn't seem plausible that he would have discussed the document without at least checking with higher-ups. Cheney, as many have pointed out, has expanded the Vice President's powers of classification and declassification; Cheney has suggested that he can declassify documents all by himself. Libby, then, would have had a motive in asking Cheney whether it was O.K. to talk about the NIE to reporters -- permission from Cheney would have cleared Libby of any wrongdoing in discussing the classified information. Permission from Bush was even better.

A couple years ago, McClellan told reporters that "if anyone in this administration was involved in [the leak], they would no longer be in this administration." I wonder if that applies to Bush and Cheney as well.

Let the shit storm rain down! [/b]

• I mean, what does this guy have to do to begin an inquiery? It's amazing how many laws he breaks, and the democrats don't do a thing about it. If Clinton had done this, Rove would have been so far up his ass.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    this is treason. fucking treason.

If it's true, then hell yeah it is, and all those motherfuckers screaming about how protesting the war is treason can eat a dick and a half.

• this is treason. fucking treason.

If it's true, then hell yeah it is, and all those motherfuckers screaming about how protesting the war is treason can eat a dick and a half.

Man, that got me to spew some serious indignant laughter. Fuck yeah!

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    Whoa. Read the AP article on nytimes.com. Seems like something more fitting 5 days ago, but somehow this won't touch Bush or Cheney.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    It's not treason, it's just regular old hypocrisy.

The Bush administration has been known for its tight security and keeping everyone in the administration repeating the same message.

They talk about cracking down on leakers, but only leakers that aren't on message or against the administration.

Politicians leak to the press all the time, the Bush administration just got caught with their pants down.

There's an executive order signed by Bush that lets Cheney unilitarily declassify information. I'm sure this is what he did in the Libby case.

They leaked all kind of classified information in the lead up to the war about Iraq's WMD and alleged ties to Al Qaeda.

And after the war they continued to do that when no WMD and Al Qaeda showed up.

Then they leaked information to destroy Wilson's reputations when he became a critic of the Niger claim.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

The Bush administration has been known for its tight security and keeping everyone in the administration repeating the same message.

They talk about cracking down on leakers, but only leakers that aren't on message or against the administration.

Politicians leak to the press all the time, the Bush administration just got caught with their pants down.

There's an executive order signed by Bush that lets Cheney unilitarily declassify information. I'm sure this is what he did in the Libby case.

They leaked all kind of classified information in the lead up to the war about Iraq's WMD and alleged ties to Al Qaeda.

Then they leaked information to destroy Wilson's reputations when he became a critic of the Niger claim.

Motown has nailed it again. See, it's the idea that Bush would get up at the press conference and denounce this situation as unethical and potentially criminal, then hide behind the notion that they are within their rights to declassify information as they see fit. well, if they indeed are(for the sake of argument), there is still the huge gap of "What about what you said before about expunging anyone in your administration shown to have any involvement in this?"

But the press probably won't bother connecting these dots for the few Americans who still haven't connected them for themselves, and this will become yet one more of this unfortunate period's unasked questions.

Hypocrisy at it's most transparent, yet they will simply refuse to comment and act like they are incapable of understanding duplicity and lies, let alone be reposible for any.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts

Did you notice: Cheney told Libby GW authorized it. Took his word for it. Maybe GW didnt but since Cheney is runnin this rap shit anyway he authorized it himself.

What he was doing was spreading propaganda- the vp's boy was telling the ny times about secret (nonexistaent) intelligence, and they printed it.

either way- If this doesn't start the political avalanche, America is entering a fascist state for sure:

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Did you notice: Cheney told Libby GW authorized it. Took his word for it. Maybe GW didnt but since Cheney is runnin this rap shit anyway he authorized it himself.

What he was doing was spreading propaganda- the vp's boy was telling the ny times about secret (nonexistaent) intelligence, and they printed it.

either way- If this doesn't start the political avalanche, America is entering a deep state of REM sleep[/b] for sure:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Leaking info is business as usual. Bush not only has pretended that he does not partake in leaking classified info, but that it is illegal, and anyone who does it in his adminstration will be fired. Thus it is short of treason, but does make him a lying liar.

Honor and dignity my ass.
    Dan

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts

Leaking info is business as usual. Bush not only has pretended that he does not partake in leaking classified info, but that it is illegal, and anyone who does it in his adminstration will be fired. Thus it is short of treason, but does make him a lying liar.

Honor and dignity my ass.
    Dan

I think the thing to concentrate on is not that he or Cheney leaked the information - sure it's a totally scummy thing to do, but the president has the power to declassify top secret information at his discretion.

The IMPORTANT part to focus on is that he outright lied, in public, many times, to the American people when he said he knew nothing about the leak.

In my mind, this is much worse than lying about a damn blowjob!