MiniDiscs suck

2»

Comments

• i have had 3 sonys. all went quick
    sharp is better i found

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i have had 3 sonys. all went quick
    sharp is better i found

eh...as far as players go ive had better luck with sony.

i have 2 sony players, one sharp player one sharp recorder and one sony recorder...all 3 sonys work, the sharp player only works when its plugged in, and the sharp recorder doesnt work at all anymore.

although i will admit sony makes some of the WORST portable headphones, and generally overall i'd go with panasonic for any portable device. so much more solid and better circuitry.

sony has great designs, and in the 80s usually the quality of their electronics was unmatched...but they kinda fell off.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Noone was ever going to buy prerecorded albums on minidisc, the format is just too small to appeal.

i dont think that was the problem. mostly they just werent bringing anything new enough to the table for anybody to care. same storage as cds, recordability of tapes...people want something new, not two old things combined.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    I've had my MD for like three years now and never had a problem.
    I record mixes that i make on it and listen to it on the train, plug it in at work take it to friends houses ect.
    I guess it's kinda old tech now. But i still see the odd dude rocking their walkmans on the train

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    OK, it seems nobody cares for HI-MD on this vinyl related site.

YOU CAN STORE UP TO 1 GB OF MP3s PER MINIDISC!!!!!!!!!!

YOU CAN STORE WAVs FILES IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HURT SOUND QUALITY!!!!!!!

YOU CAN STORE ANY TYPE OF FILES IN A HI-MD, WORD, EXCEL, PICTURES, ANYTHING!!!!

THERE'S EVEN A MODEL WITH A 1.3 MEGAPIXELS CAM!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M A TECHNOLOGY NERD!!!!!!!!!!

Co-sign on all of this. My girl got me a Hi-MD recorder for Christmas the year before last, and it's the shit. It does all the standard Minidisc tricks, as well as all the stuff JLR mentions. I've got my entire sample library backed up on 1GB minidiscs - a lot easier to tote around than an external drive (try putting one in your jacket pocket). The only beef I have - and this is further evidence of Sony's bloody-mindedness - is that you're tied into the SonicStage software that comes with it, and it's taken a long time and a lot of consumer pressure for Sony to introduce a version that enables you to convert your .oma and .omg files to .wav and mp3. Now that I can do this, I'm happy to remain an iPod/iRiver refusenik for the forseeable future.