MiniDiscs suck

Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Sitting here recording a minidisc in realtime after spending too much time trying to source a player, I realise that it's probably a good thing this technology is going the way of the dodo. Did it ever make much sense? I don't think so.RIP

Comments

• they're not THAT bad. But they were the Beta tape of the digital domain for sure. Whatever happened with that MD I was gonna convert for you?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

I use this recorder:

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    they're not THAT bad. But they were the Beta tape of the digital domain for sure. Whatever happened with that MD I was gonna convert for you?

That MD is the one I'm recording right now. Despite your kind offer, I could never organise myself enough to put it it an envelope and mail it to you. Pathetic, eh?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to listening to it. Check the tracklisting:

1. Simple Things / Avis
    2. I've Got A Song To Sing / Haze
    3. Here We Go / One Real Band
    4. Eternal Day / Omega Sunrise
    5. I'll Bet You Thought I'd Never Find You / Lifetime
    6. As / Family Tree
    7. Sunshine Of My Life / Moonpie
    8. Bird Of Beauty / Sol
    9. I Wish / Travis Biggs
    10. Get It Right / Carl Smith & The Natural Gas Co.
    11. Changes / Percy Mays
    12. Here I Go / Spread Love
    13. Love Can Break You / Lee Roberts
    14. All I Do / Jules Broussard
    15. Shades Of September / Obatala

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I used to live by the MD, but times have changed.
    They were much bigger in Japan than anywhere else.

that is all.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Interesting. I was just considering getting a highquality MD player/recorder. The reasons being that I like the idea of realtime recording right off my mixer(without messing with a computer). I hate the sound quality of MP3s and I figured that a MD recording would be better. Am I right?
    thanks.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Funny, MD's might last longer than UMD movies tho...

Especially ironic since the UMD is based on the MD.

What would make UMD movies obsolete? They haven't been cracked yet. Do I need a late pass?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    when recording from an analog source or a microphone in realtime, MD's are great! they really are a good idea...

however, when recording from a digital source...having to do it realtime is kind of a bitch.

i guess i just like how similar they are to cassettes, in their recordability.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    I survived on MD in college. In the low quality recording mode i could get 4 hours of music which was nice for going to class, riding the subway, etc.

Like everything else it depends on your application. If you dont mind recording everything in realtime its good for carting a bunch of tunes around. i used to go to a lot of live shows that were "Taper Friendly" and it was really convenient to just plug into someone else's rig since i didnt own microphones that would do me any good. Not too bad going to a show on sunday night and listening to it on the way to class or at work the next day. No conversion, no nothing.

I will say that the headphone jack is half spent on my MD. i have to jiggle the plug around or wrap the cord really tight so the sound doenst cut in and out.

i guess in comparison to whats out now, they aren't looking so hot.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Especially ironic since the UMD is based on the MD.

What would make UMD movies obsolete? They haven't been cracked yet. Do I need a late pass?

No, it will be from studio's slowly stopping title releases and retailers not handling them.

I just read somewhere Walmart is scaling back.

Here's one article.

http://www.igniq.com/2006/04/umd-movies-might-be-thing-of-past.html

And so goes Sony's list of failed formats pushed onto the consumer. You would think they would learn something after BetaMax.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    when recording from an analog source or a microphone in realtime, MD's are great! they really are a good idea...

however, when recording from a digital source...having to do it realtime is kind of a bitch.

i guess i just like how similar they are to cassettes, in their recordability.

Dudes, haven't you heard about Hi-MD???? The days of real-time digital recording into MD are over. It's just drag & drop now.

Google "Sony HI-MD"

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

I have almost a whole year's worth of Worldwide broadcasts with Gilles Peterson, during the GOOD times. Lots of Brownswood Basements and all that. Used to record straight out of the computer all the time in college. I swore by my MD player and still use it for portable recording with a microphone.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    my md lasted me two odd years before clunking out. I was not "rough with my shit" at all, needless to say I'm glad to see this format drift away.

and about umd...

According to news reports today, retail giant Wal-Mart is considering pulling UMDs off the shelves, or at least reducing its stock drastically.

In addition, Universal has bid farewell to the format. A high-placed executive at Universal, in an interview with Reuters, said, "It's awful. Sales are near zilch. It's another Sony bomb -- like Blu-Ray."

Paramount Pictures, likewise, is said to be on the verge of giving the format the old heave-ho. "We continue to evaluate the PSP platform for each title, and if it makes sense for business reasons and the target audience, we will release them," Brenda Ciccone, a spokesperson for Paramount Pictures, was quoted by Reuters as saying.

Image Entertainment also has turned its back on the format, while other studios, including 20th Century Fox and Buena Vista, have reduced the number of UMD titles scheduled for release.

In stark contrast to these recent moves, initial sales for the format were strong, with two productions from Sony Pictures selling more than 100,000 units within two months. But it wasn't long before sales of UMD movies sank.

At the time, industry experts said that Sony had given consumers too many choices. During the first five months following the PSP's launch in March 2005, some 239 movies and TV shows were released or scheduled for release on UMD.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I also had one in college. As I recall i really enjoyed it at the time. God, pre-ipod seems like pre-cell phone like dark ages to me now. Technology rules.

Although, I never understood why companies made New Release MDs, you know? I don't think I ever remember seeing anyone buy one of them. MD thrived as a way to record music digitally in a portable format. I wonder if it'll make a retro comeback... Prolly nawt.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    OK, it seems nobody cares for HI-MD on this vinyl related site.

YOU CAN STORE UP TO 1 GB OF MP3s PER MINIDISC!!!!!!!!!!

YOU CAN STORE WAVs FILES IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HURT SOUND QUALITY!!!!!!!

YOU CAN STORE ANY TYPE OF FILES IN A HI-MD, WORD, EXCEL, PICTURES, ANYTHING!!!!

THERE'S EVEN A MODEL WITH A 1.3 MEGAPIXELS CAM!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M A TECHNOLOGY NERD!!!!!!!!!!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    OH, AND YOU CAN FORMAT YOUR OLD MINIDISCS INTO HI-MINIDISCS AND MAKE THEM 750 MB DISCS!!!!

ELECTRONIC GADGET ORGASM!!!!!!!!!

post a link of your soft

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    post a link of your soft

he doesnt lie...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    post a link of your soft

ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT MINIDISC

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    I fuck with HI-MD and i wouldnt trade it for 5 ipods. My brother has had his ipod 2 months longer than i've had my MD... and he's on his third. I've had discs drop outta my pocket 2 stories onto cement (and crack but not shatter) and been soaked in water in the bottom of a bag and survive. And the fact that i can change the rechargables that came with it when they start to die/develop a memory is comforting. Realistically i only need 3 or 4 discs to keep me happy and satisfy my musical moods.

Hatters stand down, i 3 MD

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    Have to admit that I'm still playing the vinyl 2 MD 2 MP3 game...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    MD thrived as a way to record music digitally in a portable format. I wonder if it'll make a retro comeback... Prolly nawt.

ehem...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    and Minidiscs are a fashion statement:

Suntory BOSS Coffee limited edition.

Not your average mini fridge Ipod look.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Battery life is crap but otherwise this rocks

• I rocked an md for ages, but they packed up way to quick. The software for the netmd's was horrible too. Still, they were great at the time.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

I have almost a whole year's worth of Worldwide broadcasts with Gilles Peterson, during the GOOD times. Lots of Brownswood Basements and all that. Used to record straight out of the computer all the time in college. I swore by my MD player and still use it for portable recording with a microphone.

I have almost exactly the same in my collection of MDs stored away somewhere - superb for recording radio shows. Main gripe with it was always the shitty sonicstage software required to copy prerecorded music to the discs - very slow and very prone to crashing.

Always thought the main reason it bombed was Sony's original insistence on promoting it as an alternative to CDs rather than as an alternative to tapes. Noone was ever going to buy prerecorded albums on minidisc, the format is just too small to appeal.

• gibla74gibla74 182 Posts

Any chance you could post up the one with Shadow? I accidently hit the record button on my MD portable & recorded over most of it!

I thought MD was dope.

Any chance you could post up the one with Shadow? I accidently hit the record button on my MD portable & recorded over most of it!

I thought MD was dope.

I actually have that one on MP3, so look for it later tonight. I'll send you a PM when it's up.

• gibla74gibla74 182 Posts

I thought MD was dope.

I actually have that one on MP3, so look for it later tonight. I'll send you a PM when it's up.

Thanks D, that was a good show, looking forward to hearing it again...