Maui, any records there???????

undertheradarundertheradar 619 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I'm going to be in Maui next weekend and plan to allot an hour or two to looking for records if possible. Most of my time will be spent outdoors but I would like to try and get away for a second. Any spots worthwhile? And while we are at it, any food or interesting things to do recommendations?Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    And while we are at it, any food or interesting things to do recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
    One recommendation: Take a bike ride from the summit of Haleakala, down through the upcountry vineyards and end at the winery; it's an absolutely beautiful and memorable ride.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    No real record stores that I know of, but there are a couple thrift stores in that town on the NE side of the island.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    And while we are at it, any food or interesting things to do recommendations?

Food is everywhere, whether you want authentic Hawaiian food, local style plate lunches, or whatever kind of cuisine. Maui also caters to a lot of tourists, so it depends on how out of the way you want to be. I would recommend driving to Hana. There was an old Hawaiian song from the 70's called "52 Bridges To Hana Town", it takes a few hours but it's great.

But I will forever be an Oahu elitist, so other than basics, I cannot help you any further.

One recommendation: Take a bike ride from the summit of Haleakala, down through the upcountry vineyards and end at the winery; it's an absolutely beautiful and memorable ride.
    Screw that. Just drive up and enjoy the scenery that way then hike down into the crater area the landscape in there is

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    go to Hana and hook up with Kris Kristoferson. He has some records. i think oprah stays out there too. you know that bitch's hoarding some heat.

go to Hana and hook up with Kris Kristoferson. He has some records. i think oprah stays out there too. you know that bitch's hoarding some heat.

She's also hoarding some land, so FUCK HER AND HER STEADMAN LOVING ASS.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Oprah is on the Big Island too hommie. She bought a HUGE plot of land right outside of Kona and is building a CRAZY BIG mansion.

so. do we thinh Oprah has some good records?

I would recommend driving to Hana. There was an old Hawaiian song from the 70's called "52 Bridges To Hana Town", it takes a few hours but it's great.
    HIGHLY recomended! Don't belive the bullshit about not making it a full loop by returning on the dirt road along the southside of the island. Your rental car people will say you can't do it. Do it anyways it's really cool down there lava flows, natural arches out in the ocean etc.

I would recommend driving to Hana. There was an old Hawaiian song from the 70's called "52 Bridges To Hana Town", it takes a few hours but it's great.
    HIGHLY recomended! Don't belive the bullshit about not making it a full loop by returning on the dirt road along the southside of the island. Your rental car people will say you can't do it. Do it anyways it's really cool down there lava flows, natural arches out in the ocean etc.

rent a small car! we had to upgrade to a midsize rental car so I could fit my surfbaord inside. we scraped the fuck outta that car on those switchbacks. so make sure you get full insurance or rent with AMEX.

that drive was easily one of the best ever. if you do one thing on maui, i'd do that.

Oprah is on the Big Island too hommie. She bought a HUGE plot of land right outside of Kona and is building a CRAZY BIG mansion.

Sadly, out of reach from volcano flows.

LOL! You could always start a fire at her place

LOL! You could always start a fire at her place

I'll let nature take its course. Or Keanu Reeves.

[i]Lay off the land, dude. Lay off, okay? No, you will have servants on your land, and then you will lay them all off. Dude. Dude?[/b]

• Thanks for all the recommendations, all will be considered.

John, do you know what are the good plate lunch spots out there. Macaroni salad is very important.

Thanks for all the recommendations, all will be considered.

John, do you know what are the good plate lunch spots out there. Macaroni salad is very important.

What up P**l? I can put you up on ALL the dope places to eat in Honolulu, but I don't really know the Maui spots. Are you going to Oahu? My homeboy is over there right now and will be on Maui in a couple of days. I can ask him about the dope lunch spots on Maui. Whatchu know about some plate luch hommie? Ya'll got any Hawaiian food spots in SD?

• Thanks for all the recommendations, all will be considered.

What up P**l? I can put you up on ALL the dope places to eat in Honolulu, but I don't really know the Maui spots. Are you going to Oahu? My homeboy is over there right now and will be on Maui in a couple of days. I can ask him about the dope lunch spots on Maui. Whatchu know about some plate luch hommie? Ya'll got any Hawaiian food spots in SD?

What up Ch*n, I got the hook up in Honolulu, but I'm pretty green to Maui.

Man, me and the Mangoman love some plate lunch. We got a couple out here. The one I like is Kealani's in Encinitas. The chain L&L opened up out here, which is cool, but I try to avoid it. Ask L*k*n about Rascals in Gardena, Chinese Chicken Salad!!!!!!!

You need to come out here to San Diego for some okonomiyaki though. That would be dope!

I don't know about good places to eat on Maui, but I believe there is a plate lunch website out there.

However in terms of Oahu, I and a few others on this board could provide you some tips on prime places to fill the opu.

EDIT: I see you already have some of that already known. It is true though, the macaroni salad IS key. That and good gravy.

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    DID SOMEONE SAY PLATE LUNCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moco Loco for Breakfast
    Spam Musubi for snaking
    Plate Lunch for Lunch
    Malasada's 24/7 (Chan what you know about Malasada's)!
    Mac Salad Bath (ahahhaha so yummy with rich and terri...)
    Maui Massage
    And Shaved Ice with Ice Cream before going to bed!

ahahhahaha I'm so hungry....

Man I could do pushups on some mac salad right now so good

and when you get back call me for some Carne Asada!

And if you run into Turtle tell him "don't mess with the Hui Bra" "Yeah. NO!" "Whoa BRA Chandler Like YOU!"

What up Ch*n, I got the hook up in Honolulu, but I'm pretty green to Maui.

Man, me and the Mangoman love some plate lunch. We got a couple out here. The one I like is Kealani's in Encinitas. The chain L&L opened up out here, which is cool, but I try to avoid it. Ask L*k*n about Rascals in Gardena, Chinese Chicken Salad!!!!!!!

You need to come out here to San Diego for some okonomiyaki though. That would be dope!

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN! I LOVE some Okonomiyaki! You have an Okonomiyaki spot in SD or is your mom cooking when I roll through? If you guys have a Okonomiyaki spot, is it authentic? Are the owners from Osaka? Do you sit at a huge grill and cook your own Okonomiyaki on the grill and then cut chunks off with a big grill spatula and then eat it right off the spatula? That's str8 Osaka style there hommie! Damn I want to eat some Okonomiyaki!!!!!!!!!

DID SOMEONE SAY PLATE LUNCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moco Loco for Breakfast
    Spam Musubi for snaking
    Plate Lunch for Lunch
    Malasada's 24/7 (Chan what you know about Malasada's)!
    Mac Salad Bath (ahahhaha so yummy with rich and terri...)
    Maui Massage
    And Shaved Ice with Ice Cream before going to bed!

ahahhahaha I'm so hungry....

Man I could do pushups on some mac salad right now so good

and when you get back call me for some Carne Asada!

And if you run into Turtle tell him "don't mess with the Hui Bra" "Yeah. NO!" "Whoa BRA Chandler Like YOU!"

Alright, now I'm curious. I feel like Mel Brooks in High Anxiety[/b].

Rascals in Gardena, Chinese Chicken Salad!!!!!!!

YO RASCALS ain't NO JOKE! It even burns spots in the Islands big time! Bastard had to bring this up cause the last 4 times I tried going their they where closed!!!!!!!!!!!! Long Story I do crave this often makes L&L taste like burnt crust pizza....

But YO anyone in SO CAL know if any spots for Malasada's dang Chan you had to bring that up.... I would love to try that with a cup of coffe... Man... I'm thinking of this food and

But YO anyone in SO CAL know if any spots for Malasada's dang Chan you had to bring that up.... I would love to try that with a cup of coffe... Man... I'm thinking of this food and

Yo Mango, Leonard's in Honolulu got the Malasadas on LOCK! These fools are open 24hrs and the Malasadas are always hot out the kitchen. Off the hook, 5 stars!

Address:
    Leonard's bakery
    933 Kapahulu Ave
    Honolulu, HI 96816

Man Chan you really can Torchure dudes.... I'm out on the way home and I'l just have to settle for a fat sugar doughnut! WORRRRRRDDDDDDDDD! Man I went to click on continue and I see the Picture of Leanords and it kills me!!!!!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I'll check up on some food places and record stores.

STOP THAT MAN!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

How about the ones with chocolate and/or haupia inside?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    leonards got a new sign now. i love their shit but i cant eat more than one. haupia shit is deadly for sure

STOP THAT MAN!!!

Sorry John

STOP THAT MAN!!!

Sorry John

Nah, that's alright.

I haven't been back in five years, photos like that is similar to throwing cheese in front of Curly.

I'm trying to make some contacts so I can do some interviews towards my book. At the same time, talk with some people about the documentary I want to do. And I need to seriously unwind for a bit. Seattle's the closest thing to sanity for me (and Portland), so it's just a matter of getting some things put on the side and heading up.

• [DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN! I LOVE some Okonomiyaki! You have an Okonomiyaki spot in SD or is your mom cooking when I roll through? If you guys have a Okonomiyaki spot, is it authentic? Are the owners from Osaka? Do you sit at a huge grill and cook your own Okonomiyaki on the grill and then cut chunks off with a big grill spatula and then eat it right off the spatula? That's str8 Osaka style there hommie! Damn I want to eat some Okonomiyaki!!!!!!!!!

My mom make it but I know of a spot, it's probably not as good as the authentic Osaka style, but still pretty good!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    My friend couldn't think of any record stores, but he recommended Sam Sato's in the Wailuku Industrial area for plate lunch and Captain Dave's Fish and Chips on Front Street in Lahaina.