Lifestyle '06

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    '06 was going to be the year of me wearing a clean shirt every day, but it's looking more like '07...

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    my appearance at GAYLORDS a couple weeks back while sporting some raer formal attire.

I feel you on that. The look that says "It's cool to see you all, but please know that after I leave here, I'm going somewhere much nicer."

my appearance at GAYLORDS a couple weeks back while sporting some raer formal attire.

I feel you on that. The look that says "It's cool to see you all, but please know that after I leave here, I'm going somewhere much nicer."

second time today I've had to use it, but it's so much fun.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    if you're really ready for the grown folk lifestyle, then maybe it's time to step into the world of patek philippe

tag is more entry level, as evidenced by all the bootleg tags you see hs kids rock.

2 button > 3 button, especially if you're shorter. A lower stance will reveal more of the shirt/tie, plus it'll give the illusion of you being more open/welcoming.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    '06 was going to be the year of me wearing a clean shirt every day, but it's looking more like '07...

Where's that graemlin of your head saying "Mold Is Huge"?

• if you're really ready for the grown folk lifestyle, then maybe it's time to step into the world of patek philippe

tag is more entry level, as evidenced by all the bootleg tags you see hs kids rock.

2 button > 3 button, especially if you're shorter. A lower stance will reveal more of the shirt/tie, plus it'll give the illusion of you being more open/welcoming.

can we give aser his own collumn or at least a blog?

Where's that graemlin of your head saying "Mold Is Huge"?

I had it destroyed!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

to the infinite power.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

to the infinite power.

Dear Aser,

Dude, i need to get my jeans hemmed. and im not talking ktown/chinatown mommypants stylee. i need gold thread or whatevers along the cuff so it at least looks like i got jeans in my length. i need this in LA. can you help?

and wtf is up with some of these folks not making jeans shorter than 34" inseam? i mean, i take it a good portion of their clientele is japanese and my peoples are kinda stumpy. they should make some stumpy jeans so i dont have to do that fucken rockabilly self cuff thing.

love,
    shig

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Dude, i need to get my jeans hemmed. and im not talking ktown/chinatown mommypants stylee. i need gold thread or whatevers along the cuff so it at least looks like i got jeans in my length. i need this in LA. can you help?

I don't understand why you need some special thread - just ask them when they hem to keep the original cuffs of the jeans. Doesn't everywhere do this?

I don't understand why you need some special thread - just ask them when they hem to keep the original cuffs of the jeans. Doesn't everywhere do this?

youre talking to a dude that normally cuts the bottoms of my jeans to fit.

plaese to explain the "save the cuffs" phenomenon. you telling me they cut them things and glue them back on at a shorter length? im not following.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts

plaese to explain the "save the cuffs" phenomenon. you telling me they cut them things and glue them back on at a shorter length? im not following.

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. Final result = exact same jeans look as when you bought it, except shorter.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

You do know that you can actually buy jeans in different lengths, don't you?

yes sire. but they dont make these any shorter than a 34" inseam. goddammit im not swedish!

Different waist sizes, too. Crazy, right?

The mind boggles at the thought of all the permutations...

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    yes, take them to any tailor and they'll be able to hem it for you to your desired length. Obviously you get what you pay for, so if it's a janky dry cleaner spot doing it for $5, it might not look so hot.

caveat emptor, you should only hem straight leg jeans. Boot cut will look ridiculous when hemmed. Also, it is wise to wash/dry your jeans first before bringing them in for tailoring, to account for shrinkage.

yes, take them to any tailor and they'll be able to hem it for you to your desired length. Obviously you get what you pay for, so if it's a janky dry cleaner spot doing it for $5, it might not look so hot.

caveat emptor, you should only hem straight leg jeans. Boot cut will look ridiculous when hemmed. Also, it is wise to wash/dry your jeans first before bringing them in for tailoring, to account for shrinkage.

thank you Aser[/b]. im having problems finding folks that speak english around here and im not really trying to describe what i want in mimespeak. might just have to suck it up and go to the westside or somewheres.

yes sire. but they dont make these any shorter than a 34" inseam. goddammit im not swedish!

I'm thinking you could use the extra denim to have a special interior pocket added within which to stash your pacifier and X pillz.

I'm thinking you could use the extra denim to have a special interior pocket added within which to stash your pacifier and X pillz.

you know a tailor that can do this i take?

I'm sure Aser could recommend a fellow or at least give you some tips on what questions to ask.

I'm sure Aser could recommend a fellow or at least give you some tips on what questions to ask.

may i plaese purchase your old pair? do you have a 34 waist?

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

Shig,
    Ignore the haters. What you need to read is a NY Times article on this very subject. Unfortunately, you will need someone with either Times Select or access to older articles to view it. Good luck with that.

ONLINE SHOPPER; A Fitting Conclusion To Long Jeans

thanks!

oh

um

anyone have that special ny times thing i need? plaese?

HEY MAN! CAN YOU CUT AND PASTE THAT ARTICLE?[/b]

forget it. i found it online. that article is kinda useless though. its basically a lady complaining about where to get jeans hemmed. fuck, i should get paid then.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    Sorry it wasn't too helpful, at least now you know you have company in your sorrows. And that your company seems to be ladies.

I had just read the article when it came out, but it did not apply to me since I have not bought jeans outside of a thrift store in 6-8 years. That is not a fact I am particularly proud of.

• 16_beat16_beat 56 Posts
    short ties suck, but skinny ties are apparnetly the shit nwo
    there's a company in l.a. that makes them with vintage fabric, very very nice .. like 125 dolla though

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    if you're really ready for the grown folk lifestyle, then maybe it's time to step into the world of patek philippe

Man, my old boss used to rock alligator-skin cowboy boots and a Patek Phillipe on each wrist - I think he had six or seven that he rotated through.

or ????

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    Although come to think of it, the dual Patek look is secondary to this dude from Denver that I occasionally have to deal with. He has a watchband for his giant Rolex made of a dozen chained-together gold nuggets. I guess they had been panned by his granddad during the olden mining days, and he had a jeweler in Milan hook it up.

We were having a business dinner at Brasserie Bofinger in Paris the first time I saw it - the look on the waiter's face was priceless.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Two questions...

Fabric-related:

Do some sheets/fabrics get considerably softer with repeated use/washing? Because I picked up this set of 820 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets recently and, I don't know, they're kind of not cutting it.

Travel-related:

Has anyone been (back) to Cancun since the big hurricane went through there last year? I've read that the hotels are supposed to be functioning at ~90% by the summer, but that the sand on the beach along hotel zone was washed away and has to be pumped back in from the ocean or something. I didn't see a timeline for when that would be completed and the beach restored. I'm not trying to go back just yet if conditions are not ideal for the kind of relaxation to which I'm accustomed.