Tom Delay resigns from Congress

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    A crime is a crime and a crook is a crook.

The guy who kills your father for a buck on the street is just as guilty as the guy who kills your brother while robbing Fort Knox.

And the guy who robs a bank and only gets away with $50K is just as guilty as the guy who robs a bank and gets away with $500K

When you can stop giving the Dems a pass for their indesgressions and admit that they are just as sleazy as their pseudo right wing co-horts we'll be on the same page.

It's not like the Repubs are lining their pockets so they can buy solid gold bath tubs while the Dems are lining their pockets so they can feed their families.

And even you admit that if the Dems held all the cards THEY would be doing the same exact thing as the Repubilcans and reaping in the lions share of the graft.

Only once people realize that all of these folks are crooks, will anything start to happen to correct the problem.

Giving them a pass for their crimes because they currently have less "power" is only adding to the problem.

please post a specific illegal pocket-lining indescretion by a Dem that is currently holding elected office so we may decry him or her.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    In other news, did anybody else see John McCain on The Daily Show last night? Man, that was sad. I used to have a modicum of respect for the guy. Now...tough to say.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

The guy who kills your father for a buck on the street is just as guilty as the guy who kills your brother while robbing Fort Knox.

And the guy who robs a bank and only gets away with $50K is just as guilty as the guy who robs a bank and gets away with $500K

When you can stop giving the Dems a pass for their indesgressions and admit that they are just as sleazy as their pseudo right wing co-horts we'll be on the same page.

It's not like the Repubs are lining their pockets so they can buy solid gold bath tubs while the Dems are lining their pockets so they can feed their families.

And even you admit that if the Dems held all the cards THEY would be doing the same exact thing as the Repubilcans and reaping in the lions share of the graft.

Only once people realize that all of these folks are crooks, will anything start to happen to correct the problem.

Giving them a pass for their crimes because they currently have less "power" is only adding to the problem.

This is exactly where you and I part company. You need to really look at the effect of these two parties on the country. This is not even a close debate about who is leading down the path of ruin.

Does that mean that Dems aren't at the trough? Of course not. I accept that the leaders of this country are going to get an inordinate amount of the treasure for being in power. I think that is the way things are. If you think that large countries can be run without elites, god bless you. What I look for is the those who are willing to share the most, those who have a modicum of sense when it comes to social issues and those who are restrained in using US power around the world. That would be democrats in the post-cold war era.

This "they're all the same" nonsense is just that non-sense. The facts on the ground are that this group of loonies is wrecking the joint. They know no restraint in using the gov't as their personal wealth redistributor, have no sense of how the world works and lack the scruples of a common rat. Sorry to rain on your fantasy.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

please post a specific illegal pocket-lining indescretion by a Dem that is currently holding elected office so we may decry him or her.

Jeeez...I actully do have to do some work at my job and can't be here waiting to reply 24/7(even if it seems that way sometimes).

My belief is that in today's society ALL politicians are crooked. It's the reason they spend 10 times more money to get the job then what it actually pays.

If you want to see just the tip of the iceberg on the Dem side google these two words.

"Enron Democrats"

This is exactly where you and I part company. You need to really look at the effect of these two parties on the country. This is not even a close debate about who is leading down the path of ruin.

Does that mean that Dems aren't at the trough? Of course not. I accept that the leaders of this country are going to get an inordinate amount of the treasure for being in power. I think that is the way things are. If you think that large countries can be run without elites, god bless you. What I look for is the those who are willing to share the most, those who have a modicum of sense when it comes to social issues and those who are restrained in using US power around the world. That would be democrats in the post-cold war era.

This "they're all the same" nonsense is just that non-sense. The facts on the ground are that this group of loonies is wrecking the joint. They know no restraint in using the gov't as their personal wealth redistributor, have no sense of how the world works and lack the scruples of a common rat. Sorry to rain on your fantasy.

Just keep repeating that mantra...

Democrats good, Republicans bad........

and you'll be just as ignorant as those folks opposite of you who believe...

Republicans good, Democrats bad

They have you snowed dude

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i love when fuckers can't back they shit up and say...

"some of us actually have work to do..."

poo poo pants

poo poo pants

I backed it up....I just couldn't do it quick enough to avoid crickets...that's all.

Poo Poo Pants??? I'm talking politics with people who say Poo Poo Pants...what next?

Sorry, Rock, I don't see how 'they are all the same' rationalization is any less of an unproductive mentality as the one you say Wu has. It is just a mechanism to validate over-arching cynicism.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

and you'll be just as ignorant as I am

Roc, while I can see your point, it's hard to deny that Dems are the "lesser of two evils" so to speak.

I backed it up....I just couldn't do it quick enough to avoid crickets...that's all.

What was your specific example of current Democratic graft again? Oh yeah, you haven't offered one. I need a name and an accusation or preferably an indictment, plaese.

poo poo pants

Poo Poo Pants??? I'm talking politics with people who say Poo Poo Pants...what next?

i believe you were asked to name someone. just say you don't know. that's better than telling me to google "bad liberals" or some shit. come on.

i just felt like saying poo poo pants. it's not related.

your google search yielded articles from TheNation and Newsmax. At the same time, you decry partisans as two sides of the same coin. I suggest that you evaluate your sources more closely.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Keep telling yourself that we'd be Iraq with president Gore. Keep telling yourself we'd have record deficits under President Kerry. Keep telling yourself that abuse of power would be exactly the same. BTW the people opposite me are not ignorant. They want power and are willing to do whatever they need to get it. I resist them at every turn. It is sad that you think we are the same but we are not.

See I am no romantic. You want to live a fantasy world where people in power are doing things selflessly. This is poppycock. AS you can see I am no "idealist" when it comes to the dems, I am simply practical. I recognize their vastly better sense of what is in the best interest of the country.

AS far a Abramhoff goes just check who is under investigation-- 100% Repubs. There is a distinction to be made between what is legal and what is not. All politicans are in the money game. Thus everyone's on the take to some degree. What we should look for is those that take money legally and those that get it from groups that have a relatively positive agenda for country. In this sense I think that Union money is not nearly as bad as oil/pharmacuetical/gun/insurance industry money. At least some thought is given to workers conditions by those who take union money.

A final point of clarification, no dem received money from Abrahmoff directly. You can look it up.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Why is it that every thread about politics, race, and/or war
    on Soul Strut these days just becomes "The Rockadelic Show?"

It's getting boring.

poo poo pants

i believe you were asked to name someone. just say you don't know. that's better than telling me to google "bad liberals" or some shit. come on.

I come here and give a list of names and the next post will be "back it up"...I just sent you to one of MANY sources.

I didn't call you "Fucker" either

It's getting boring.

Yeah...why is that??

• dayday 9,611 Posts

It's getting boring.

Roc, while I can see your point, it's hard to deny that Dems are the "lesser of two evils" so to speak.

Day....as long as you realize they are both evil, I've made my point. And the sheep on each side swear it's the OTHER side that's more evil.....I understand that...I just don't agree with it.

As to not bore Mr IcySoul any longer I'll end the "Rockadelic Show" with the only thing that apparently isn't controversial here.

There are two parties in this country.

One is the party of honesty compassion and good

While the other is dishonest, hateful and evil.

Everyone feel better.....now we can get back to more interesting things like dildos.

The "show" is over.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    As to not bore Mr IcySoul any longer I'll end the "Rockadelic Show" with the only thing that apparently isn't controversial here.

Everyone feel better.....now we can get back to more interesting things like dildos.

The "show" is over.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    "i can't really come up with any solid facts concerning the questions i've been asked, thank you soulonice for giving me a way to escape"

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I don't think Rock is saying REP's are better than DEM's. I think he's just saying it's all the same shit. To be thinking otherwise is probably silly.

Also, current presidents don't really have much to do with a current economic situation. Policies that a president put into effect, usually don't start to take hold until 6-8 years have passed. And even then, you'd be better pressed to look at what Greenspan was doing for the ecomony instead of Bush or Clinton.

This idea that things would be better under Gore is kinda crazy talk. One of the main factor to why things were so good under Clinton was because of the dot.com boom. When that shit went pop and with a mix of 9/11, I'm really surprised that things aren't much worse than they are now. But really, you can't decide on any of this until many years have past to analyze it. And by then, it's just history.

I will state one thing. I dislike Bush in a major way. I don't think he should of went into Iraq.

But for all the REP's are way bigger criminals than DEM's is a bunch of poppycock. Maybe it means they are just better at hiding it? When in truth, most will always abuse power. That's the way it was in the beginning and will be for a long time in the human existence.

And what Rich has stated by DEM's = good, REP's = bad, is true in a sense. One just has to look at how many people were pissed off when Clinton was dropping bombs around the world. For every one person that was saying it was wrong when Clinton was dropping bombs, there's thousands saying it's wrong of Bush.

One just has to remember that quote from Janeane Garofalo where she said something along the lines of "It wasn't hip to protest Clinton Iraq attacks".

Anyways, I just hope things start to move in a more positive direction someday. But it ain't looking like it's coming anytime soon.

Just remember... Don't eat chicken, bird flu is coming.

• A crime is a crime and a crook is a crook.

That fact that they can be recognized as "the lesser of two evils" shows that they are still not the people that should be representing us and holding so much power backed by the faith of US citizens.

I see exactly where Rockadelic is coming from, he's stating that power leads to corruption. Similar events happened in the early to mid 90's on the Democratic side before Newt and company took control.

Beyond that the 2 party system is pathetic, neither of them are truly different from one another unless you look at the fringes of either side.

seriously, a majority of the democrats voted to go to war, and it continues on in party block voting for just about any big bill. Are we voting for individuals with ability to study and decide what would best serve the people or are we just hoping to find the best looking square jawed smiling face to fall in line with all the other square jawed followers?

Delay is a fuckhead and I hope he ends up in jail with any former constituants from his gerrymandered district, but that being said, Dems have gerrymandered in the past too. Neither group is truly taking care of domestic issues because a great deal of money has been pushed into the middle east for a war that the great majority of current memebers of congress voted on.

Katrina, Immigration, Social Security none of these are issues, just shiny colors to catch our attention while the republocrats go for their own and be the best Duke Cunninhams they can be. Meanwhile the Democrats wait in the wings for their chance to become the same dispicable creatures under the false idea that they will be able to "fix America"

semi-related note: I've decided not to vote for governor in the next California election cause the 3 republocratic candidates couldn't even say a word on the massive immigration protests beyond Wesley saying "I wasn't aware of any protests"

GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK YOU AIN'T A LEADER

Day, I'm not picking on you so please don't take this as that

I totally hear what people are saying about the 2 party system. The only thing that worries me tho is. Are you really winning anything when say a party can win with 35% of the vote? Or what if it ends up being less? I'm not sure how confident I would feel with say 4-5 large parties splitting up the vote.

Canadian election results:

CON 124 36.25%
    LIB 103 30.22%
    BQ 51 10.48%
    NDP 29 17.49%

I'd hate to think of the day when the party to win power gets it with 25% of the vote, or even worse... Less than.

• I totally hear what people are saying about the 2 party system. The only thing that worries me tho is. Are you really winning anything when say a party can win with 35% of the vote? Or what if it ends up being less? I'm not sure how confident I would feel with say 4-5 large parties splitting up the vote.

Canadian election results:

CON 124 36.25%
    LIB 103 30.22%
    BQ 51 10.48%
    NDP 29 17.49%

I'd hate to think of the day when the party to win power gets it with 25% of the vote.

honestly I think the idea of party control is really fucking up the US right now, Government would be much less corrupt if people ran as individuals and were voted in on the issues they stand on rather than on the name of the party that gives them money for their election.

I'd rather have people with ideas and inititive in office.

shit is like Survivor C-Span edition.

"if I do this for my team, do I get immunity"?

shit is like Survivor C-Span edition.

I hope you just copyrighted that... Get ur executive producing game on.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

The "show" is over.

definitely mad.

• shit is like Survivor C-Span edition.

I hope you just copyrighted that... Get ur executive producing game on.

it's too late to copyright. Shows been in production since January 2001

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    check this out...tom delay and chris matthews chatting before...or maybe after an interview...really creepy, Matthews is telling him about polling on dem 08 candidates and how hilary does bad because she's a "know it all" and Delay says, "nobody likes a woman know it all"!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/harry-shearer/found-object-delay-on-ha_b_18506.html