Tom Delay resigns from Congress

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Oh yeah. Our economy is just totally in the shitter. I read about it in Newsweek.

I didn't say it was in the shitter, but it will be when we have to cover these record deficeits that the Republicans are saddling us with. And yeah, back in the mid to late the 90s (Clinton era), I think our economy was much healthier, in large part thanks to Dems.

i believe it was the republicans when they took over congress who rammed the budget down Clintons throat that woke up the economy.

If you believe that's true, then why is the economy not doing even better now with that pesky Democrat out of the way and Republicans able to pursue their financial policy full-throttle?

it is.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Oh yeah. Our economy is just totally in the shitter. I read about it in Newsweek.

I didn't say it was in the shitter, but it will be when we have to cover these record deficeits that the Republicans are saddling us with. And yeah, back in the mid to late the 90s (Clinton era), I think our economy was much healthier, in large part thanks to Dems.

i believe it was the republicans when they took over congress who rammed the budget down Clintons throat that woke up the economy.

If you believe that's true, then why is the economy not doing even better now with that pesky Democrat out of the way and Republicans able to pursue their financial policy full-throttle?

it is.

the rich are getting richer .....

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

it is.

Except that it isn't. Highest defecit in history, massive outsourcing of labor costing Americans a great many jobs, a weak dollar, take-home pay flat in the face of rising expenses...yes, the rich got their tax cuts. The rest of us are being hung out to dry.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

it is.

Except that it isn't. Highest defecit in history, massive outsourcing of labor costing Americans a great many jobs, a weak dollar, take-home pay flat in the face of rising expenses...yes, the rich got their tax cuts. The rest of us are being hung out to dry.

you're right. its too bad we can't be more like France or Germany

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

it is.

Thanks for the insight.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    YEAH!!!

America Sucks

ALL of our elected officials are crooked and belong in jail

Go America!!!

My kid wants to be James Traficant when he grows up!!

YEAH!!

Gimme an "A"......Gimme an "M"

There is something perverse about people on the left and right celebrating the downfall of their "enemies", when these are the people that run the country.

Kinda like wishing your Mother-In-Law would die.

Die America Die!!!

This Democrat/Republican tit for tat is killing the country.

We're all Neros, spinning records and arguing about which crook is more guilty while Rome sinks in the sludge .

And Delay is so friggin sleazy he made sure to smile in his mug shot because he knew when today came it would be plastered on every front page!

Only Kinky Friedman can save us now!!

Hooray for America!!

Rockadelic:

You are totally awesome when you talk about records (or nearly everything else, for that matter), but you are not very good at arguing politics. Seeing posts like this makes me embarassed for you.

Thanks for the kind note and the unecessary sympathy.

Another poster hit it on the head when he said earlier

"I'm not a Democrat or a Republican. The differences in my opinion are negligible. I agree that American politics is locked in a regression of partisan-fighting"[/b]

I know I should just pick a side and get with the status quo but that's not gonna happen.

If I ever start to question my beliefs I'll just refer back to your post to reassure myself I'm on the right path.

Do you have any idea how pompous it sounds when you state that you are embarrassed for folks that don't think like you.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

it is.

Thanks for the insight.

In Sabadabadbabababbbbba's world, a good economy is the result of the Republican's, and a bad economy is always the Democrat's fault. In his own words, "Oh Yeah."

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Do you have any idea how pompous it sounds when you state that you are embarrassed for folks that don't think like you.

No more pompous than your initial post in this thread.

Let me make this clear: no one cares whether or not you "pick a side." But berating people for being happy that an extremely corrupt man, regardless of his party affiliation, is being held accountable for his actions just isn't necessary.

I'm starting to get the impression that you simply get off on being a contrarian.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Let me make this clear: no one cares whether or not you "pick a side." But berating people for being happy that an extremely corrupt man, regardless of his party affiliation, is being held accountable for his actions just isn't necessary.

I'm starting to get the impression that you simply get off on being a contrarian.

Not for nothing but this is ridiculous. Rich had a point of view, and he expressed it. While you're free to disagree with him, saying you're embarassed for him is akin to saying "I feel sorry for your mother". This is a dude who is close to twice your age. You need to fall back - it takes all kinds... your sentiment was really repulsive to me, and I actually agree with your (overall) stance on Delay.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    its too bad we can't be more like France or Germany

Did you read my whole post......the part where I called Delay a friggin sleazebag for smiling in his Mug Shot??

If I was "berating" anyone it's the folks who continuously play "horizontal politics"....blaming the other party for all the countries woes, regardless of what side you're on.

I hate it when Rush Limbaugh jumps(or at his size, attempts to jump) for joy everytime a Democrat takes a fall and I saw this akin to that same mentality.

So when we're done pointing fingers at the other side, revelling in their failures, and the country is completely down the tubes, you'll be happy as long as your side "wins"

Disgusting and ignorant.

Not for nothing but this is ridiculous. Rich had a point of view, and he expressed it. While you're free to disagree with him, saying you're embarassed for him is akin to saying "I feel sorry for your mother". This is a dude who is close to twice your age. You need to fall back - it takes all kinds... your sentiment was really repulsive to me, and I actually agree with your (overall) stance on Delay.

Sorry, but I retract nothing. I think a lot of posts on this board regarding politics and race are extremely embarassing. I'll also fully admit to having posted some pretty embarassing statements myself. This is not one of them.

Rockadelic did not just express a point of view, he made fun of and berated people for expressing theirs. I don't care how old he is (and by the way, outside of the region of politics I do have respect for him), I'm not going to let that stop me from speaking my mind.

And like Rock's analogy about wishing death upon one's mother-in-law, your comparison to feeling sorry for somebody's mother makes little sense. Plaese to step up your analogy game.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Any Libertarians in the house?

Thanks JP....but I obviously didn't have the "right" point of view.

And I haven't seen anyone here try to defend Delay....it's just the typical if you're not with us(kicking this idiot when he's down) you're against us.

And as far as me being a "contrarian" it's amazing that it's the usual suspects who feel that way.......hmmm... I better go look up that contrary word....I'm pretty sure it goes both ways.

I don't see the world the same way I did in my 20's and neither will Twoply when he's older.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Plaese to step up your analogy comprehension game.

The analogy was only to say both statements are equally cringe-enducing

Yes, I'm sure I will see the world very differently when I'm 56-years-old.

I think you're lumping me into a category I don't belong in, though. I'm neither Democrat or Republican. I wish to see the downfall of sleazy politicians regardless of their party affiliation. What I took offense to was that you automatically assumed that everyone celebrating Delay's departure from Congress was merely happy from a partisan standpoint. I think (most) people here deserve a little more credit.

I just want to make it clear: I do not hatt Rockadelic or Johnny in the slightest bit, ok?

Yes, I'm sure I will see the world very differently when I'm 56-years-old.

I think you're lumping me into a category I don't belong in, though. I'm neither Democrat or Republican. I wish to see the downfall of sleazy politicians regardless of their party affiliation. What I took offense to was that you automatically assumed that everyone celebrating Delay's departure from Congress was merely happy from a partisan standpoint. I think (most) people here deserve a little more credit.

I just want to make it clear: I do not hatt Rockadelic or Johnny in the slightest bit, ok?

Fair enough....who was the last crooked Democrat you celebrated about here on SS.

Just a name will do...I can look up the post.

I am probably biased and influenced by what I see around me every day.....

Last week when the Mexican students walked out of school here in Dallas the TV reporters interviewed about 30 of them.....asked them what they were protesting about....every one of them yelled "George Bush" accompanied by various derogatory remarks.

The reporter reminded them that the rally was actually to protest a bill that George Bush was against!!!!

This is the "Horizontal Politics" I have referred to here many times....mindless pointing at the "other side"

For the record not only have I made stupid posts, I've said up front that all I can offer is one idiots opinion, no better or worse, more right or wrong than anyone elses.

You must REALLY respect me if my post embarrassed you.

The "I feel embarassed for you" statement was not meant to be taken that literally.

I understand what you're saying about people toeing the party line, and I too have seen people here do that. But claiming I can't celebrate the downfall of Delay without picking a Democrat to pick on as well doesn't really fly with me. If you start a thread (or even ask me) about the shortcomings of a Democrat, I'll be happy to give my honest, objective opinion. Here's a couple for the hell of it: I was upset by Joe Lieberman's post 9/11 attitude, when he switched from moderate liberal to "Whatever Mr. Bush says goes." I also complained about Clinton when he bombed Iraq to detract from the Lewinsky scandal. I also, unlike many of my peers, thought he should have been punished for getting a blow job in the White House and lying about it.

Your post looked to me like it was saying, "None of you are thinking critically about this issue and you all hate Delay simply because he's a Republican." And I believe that's just not true.

The "I feel embarassed for you" statement was not meant to be taken that literally.

Yet you take my posts that way.....we both might be better off to inject a little levity when reading ALL posts here.

And while you and the rest of Soulstrut may be intellectually above partisan politics, that is what's dominating our country right now and it's dangerous.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    I wish to see the downfall of sleazy politicians regardless of their party affiliation. What I took offense to was that you automatically assumed that everyone celebrating Delay's departure from Congress was merely happy from a partisan standpoint. I think (most) people here deserve a little more credit.

well said. its war on all the fucking bloodsuckers. flush all of them out, from any party, cause shit is getting urgent.

rockadelic, delay catching an L is a big deal and should be celebrated. i wouldnt call him an "idiot" ...dude was a unscrupulous hatchetman that stooped at nothing for political power. he made everything a partisan showdown and took out some fairly respectable politicians with lots of low tactics. politics before people, that dude.

i dont enjoy the opinions of blindly partisan people either.

on a side note, i wonder if delay can scrap? i'd guess yes

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    folks who continuously play "horizontal politics"....blaming the other party for all the countries woes...

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

Depends on what your priorities are. During the Reagan, Clinton and the current Bush administrations there was economic growth. How that wealth was distributed however brings up questions.

Reagan and Bush followed similar supplied side, otherwise known as trickle down economic policies. Basically cutting regulations on business, cutting taxes, and running huge trade and budget deficits. Wealth was created but poverty increased. During the Reagan administration the middle class also shrunk while the rich made more money. Bush is going to have a similar legacy with an increase in poverty, growth of the upper class, a huge trade and budget deficits. Compare that to the Clinton administration that had a budget surplus, cut the debt and trade, and had record unemployment and poverty.

Reagan and Bush also ran into recessions, but the economic recoveries afterwards were not evenly distributed amongst economic classes.

Bush has the problem of being a Republican president with a Republican Congress. Any party that has both the White House and Congress controlled love to spend. Everyone likes pork, they just talk bad about it in public.

And as far as Tom Delay goes, FUCK HIM!

He's the one responsible for the close merging of the Republican party and lobbyists. When the Republicans took over Congress they made a plan to monopolize all of the lobbying money and shut the Democrats down. It was a plan to create a permanent majority for Republicans. They told the lobbyists in Washington D.C., not only did they have to give to the Republicans, but not give to the Democrats otherwise they'd be shut out of Congress. Not only that, but they told the lobbyists that they had to hire Republicans ONLY. It's this kind of close relationship that led to the Abramoff scandal.

And as far as Tom Delay goes, FUCK HIM!

He's the one responsible for the close merging of the Republican party and lobbyists. When the Republicans took over Congress they made a plan to monopolize all of the lobbying money and shut the Democrats down. It was a plan to create a permanent majority for Republicans. They told the lobbyists in Washington D.C., not only did they have to give to the Republicans, but not give to the Democrats otherwise they'd be shut out of Congress. Not only that, but they told the lobbyists that they had to hire Republicans ONLY. It's this kind of close relationship that led to the Abramoff scandal.

Certainly you realize that over at those right leaning sheep websites, the one's where they call me a long-haired Commie Hippie-Freak, they are saying THIS today....

The Senate campaign committee said 39 of the Senate's 44 Democrats, plus Democrat-leaning independent James M. Jeffords of Vermont, have taken funds from Abramoff, directly or indirectly.

Republican pollster Whit Ayres said Republicans hope Democrats will be equally ensnared in the fallout to Abramoff's admission to purchasing support from lawmakers for his clients' initiatives.
    [/b]

So while part of the country celebrates the downfall of Delay, while blaming the Republicans for all the evil doings in Washington.

Another part is pointing at Democrats, calling them equally guilty, and hoping they get fucked as bad as Delay and his cohorts.

Sure we could argue all day that one side is right and the other is wrong, but while people are participating in this type of finger pointing NOTHING constructive is being done and it's the citizens that are getting fucked.

And I for one can't celebrate getting fucked by rich old men.

Abramoff ran a huge lobbying machine. He gave money to both Democrats and Republicans.

What is getting lost in this mix is that Abramoff's ILLEGAL activities were aimed almost entirely at Republicans because they controlled Congress.

Getting money from Abramoff in general was not an illegal activity.

Abramoff ran a huge lobbying machine. He gave money to both Democrats and Republicans.

What is getting lost in this mix is that Abramoff's ILLEGAL activities were aimed almost entirely at Republicans because they controlled Congress.

Getting money from Abramoff in general was not an illegal activity.

Do you really believe that while both sides took money, and that Abramoff has admitted to numerous counts of "Purchasing support from lawmakers", which is certainly illegal, that only Republicans are guilty of accepting "dirty" money? And that all the Dems money was above board and on the level??

Seriously??

The fact is that Abramoff screwed up royally by getting involved with the wrong people and getting himself involved in a high profile murder, and that is the ONLY reason any of this is being exposed.

While there are 100's of Abramoff's that are less greedy and better behaved and are "buying" politicians locally and Federally of BOTH persuasions on a daily basis.

If not, we obviously don't see the world through the same pair of glasses.

Do Democrats get lobbying money? Yes

Have Democrats done illeagl things for lobbyists? Yes

If the Democrats took over Congress would they try to gobble up all the loybbing money? Yes

Have Democrats taken illegal money from Abramoff? I haven't read all the articles about it, but I can only remember 2 Democrats who talked about returning their donations and I'm not sure that was because they took any from Abramoff's illegal scheme.

Look, from a practical point of view giving money to Democrats could only do so much. If you wanted something to get done in a specific district you just give money to whatever party controls that area. If you want bigger and better ways to influence policy you give to the Republicans. The Repbulicans control both houses of Congress and the Presidency. That means they control all the committees, the budget, and law making. If you want to get somewhere that's who you give the money to plain and simple.

And in case you're wondering, I'm not a Democrat.

And Tom Delay's aide just pleaded guilty to taking illegal money from Abramoff, hence my accusation against Delay.

Delay was also responsible for the K Street plan which I outlined above which tried to monpolize ALL the lobbying money in Washington solely for the Republicans.

A crime is a crime and a crook is a crook.

The guy who kills your father for a buck on the street is just as guilty as the guy who kills your brother while robbing Fort Knox.

And the guy who robs a bank and only gets away with $50K is just as guilty as the guy who robs a bank and gets away with $500K

When you can stop giving the Dems a pass for their indesgressions and admit that they are just as sleazy as their pseudo right wing co-horts we'll be on the same page.

It's not like the Repubs are lining their pockets so they can buy solid gold bath tubs while the Dems are lining their pockets so they can feed their families.

And even you admit that if the Dems held all the cards THEY would be doing the same exact thing as the Repubilcans and reaping in the lions share of the graft.

Only once people realize that all of these folks are crooks, will anything start to happen to correct the problem.

Giving them a pass for their crimes because they currently have less "power" is only adding to the problem.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    A crime is a crime and a crook is a crook.

The guy who kills your father for a buck on the street is just as guilty as the guy who kills your brother while robbing Fort Knox.

And the guy who robs a bank and only gets away with $50K is just as guilty as the guy who robs a bank and gets away with $500K

When you can stop giving the Dems a pass for their indesgressions and admit that they are just as sleazy as their pseudo right wing co-horts we'll be on the same page.

It's not like the Repubs are lining their pockets so they can buy solid gold bath tubs while the Dems are lining their pockets so they can feed their families.

And even you admit that if the Dems held all the cards THEY would be doing the same exact thing as the Repubilcans and reaping in the lions share of the graft.

Only once people realize that all of these folks are crooks, will anything start to happen to correct the problem.

Giving them a pass for their crimes because they currently have less "power" is only adding to the problem.

please post a specific illegal pocket-lining indescretion by a Dem that is currently holding elected office so we may decry him or her.