mix tape/cd mastering question.

bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Iv just finished a mix CD that I been working on.But some of the tracks seem to be a little louder than others.I???ve recorded it in as a long Wav file so is there a little mastering trick I can do to sort out the levels?I???m using Cooledit and there are some effects like compression and normalising will adding either of these to the mix help?Sorry if this is a real basic question.

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    the simplest thing you could do would be to export it as one big file, then reimport that file back into your recording program and then add a compressor plug in... make sure to listen to do after you do it, as over using compression sounds like shit...

• i would use limitter

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    I was wondering this myself as I am just finishing up a mix as well.

I was going to take the one long wave file and normalize it as my understanding is that this will make all the tracks as loud as they can be without clipping the sound.

Will this seriously ruin the dynamics of the music though?
    Anyone with experience using normalize have good or bad things to report?

By the way BBoyParkz, I just got a chance to listen to the first half of the mix you posted and was REALLY digging it!

Is this the mix you are asking about?

If so, and you release it on CD please let us know or PM me as I would definitely be interested in the finished product.

Thanks!

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    By the way BBoyParkz, I just got a chance to listen to the first half of the mix you posted and was REALLY digging it!

If so, and you release it on CD please let us know or PM me as I would definitely be interested in the finished product.

Thanks!

Hi man

Yeah that???s the mix I was asking about, in the end I didn???t really bother with the mastering I tried adding a bit of compression but its sounded a bit weird so I took it off, I???m not too clever at this kind of thing. I was wondering about the normalizing thing too, but I never tried it in the end.
    As for the CD being released I???m probably going to knock a few up with artwork and give them to friends and anyone else who wants one really.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    Oh yeah.
    Big thanks to everyone who sent PM???s with advice on mastering.

• some light EQing would be good too, ideally you'd get a friend who knows whats up to do it for you, it's hard to master your own stuff.

anyone have some good EQing advice?

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts

Thanks!

Hi man

Yeah that???s the mix I was asking about, in the end I didn???t really bother with the mastering I tried adding a bit of compression but its sounded a bit weird so I took it off, I???m not too clever at this kind of thing. I was wondering about the normalizing thing too, but I never tried it in the end.
    As for the CD being released I???m probably going to knock a few up with artwork and give them to friends and anyone else who wants one really.

Well then, please keep me in mind when you knock a few out!