FUNKYOU! ON EBAY

Comments

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    that's the problem...i sit at home cleaning records and smoking trees...credit card bills come and go and then the late fees add up...i'm just not good with credit cards and prefer to buy things with cash i save up. but maybe i'll look into this more...don't want to be a backwards hustler!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Can't buy a house or a car with that shit.

Seriously, not trying to talk all big business, this is very easy and can be done sitting in front of your computer while you smoke pot and clean records... as I am doing right now...

pot and record cleaning fluids vapors combined can cause sexual impotence.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Can't buy a house or a car with that shit.

Seriously, not trying to talk all big business, this is very easy and can be done sitting in front of your computer while you smoke pot and clean records... as I am doing right now...

pot and record cleaning fluids vapors combined can cause sexual impotence.

Who needs sex when you have pot and records?

(shhhh, I'm trying to blend in around these parts)

• Also, I don't know about yall but I don't need paypal to transfer shipping into my account just to go send off the packages... I mean put that shit on a credit card get some bonus miles and then pay that shit off later

of course, but as a business model...it makes sense to use the money paid for shipping for the shipping. 10 lps overseas adds up quick...close to $100...not chump change!

No... as a business model you pay for that with credit, meanwhile transfer the funds, earn credit as well as bonuses/rewards, and pay off the card balance as soon as the money transfers into your account. This is a great way to build credit and earn rewards, not to mention your buyers get their merchandise more quickly.

he's right... my entire business is run through credit cards. i pay them off every month so have no interest to pay but what i do get is plane miles, lots of plane miles... to the point where i have so many damn plane miles i just flew my mom to hawaii... three times. my art dealer to LA... next week. work it foll.

• Well, hopefully as he gets older he'll learn to swipe
    a cloth across records before he sells them, and grade
    them a little more responsibly.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    my art dealer

You are beyond

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    i just flew my art dealer to LA... next week.

A.P Diddy

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    ed, the avatar is ruling my mind

i haev decided. i will sell a lot of records,
    ask johnnybizzness which credit card to get,
    stack miles,
    go to brazil....

that avatar is ruling my damn mind

• wyzewayzwyzewayz 303 Posts
    i was straight ripped off by funkyou! this year...

bought a 45 off him from the bay, sent him a money order...

2 months later, I get an "unpaid item" notice from ebay, as in, he actually filed a complaint to ebay...

I reply to him several times; no response

I reply to ebay with the m.o. number etc...

no response from funkyou!

another month goes by, and ebay has cleared my name from the "strike" or whatever

I'm sitting on this money order, assuming it just got lost in the mail or something, given to the gods of lost mail, so I go to my bank to get my money back...

guess what? the money order had been cashed!!!

I go to ebay to file an unreceived item complaint----guess what?

time was past 3 months, no luck.

I e-mail funkyou!

no response.

straight cashed my money order and screwed me over, I sent him an e-mail, telling him he must've made some mistake...

no response.

no response.

no response.

2 months later, I get an "unpaid item" notice from ebay, as in, he actually filed a complaint to ebay...

another month goes by, and ebay has cleared my name from the "strike" or whatever

I'm sitting on this money order, assuming it just got lost in the mail or something, given to the gods of lost mail, so I go to my bank to get my money back...

I e-mail funkyou!

no response.

straight cashed my money order and screwed me over, I sent him an e-mail, telling him he must've made some mistake...

no response.

no response.

no response.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

I e-mail funkyou!

no response.

no response.

no response.

no response.

yeah, but isn't this coming from a dude who was trying to hawk suspect looking bootleg 360 - Pelon 12"s on Ebay as originals?

sayin LOL sayin

• wyzewayzwyzewayz 303 Posts

yeah, but isn't this coming from a dude who was trying to hawk suspect looking bootleg 360 - Pelon 12"s on Ebay as originals?

sayin LOL sayin

funkyou! was?

not me mang...

sayin LOL sayin

funkyou! was?

not me mang...

sorry dude, it wasnt you I was thinkin of , it was wiz1der. carry on

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

Also, I don't know about yall but I don't need paypal to transfer shipping into my account just to go send off the packages... I mean put that shit on a credit card get some bonus miles and then pay that shit off later

of course, but as a business model...it makes sense to use the money paid for shipping for the shipping. 10 lps overseas adds up quick...close to $100...not chump change!

No... as a business model you pay for that with credit, meanwhile transfer the funds, earn credit as well as bonuses/rewards, and pay off the card balance as soon as the money transfers into your account. This is a great way to build credit and earn rewards, not to mention your buyers get their merchandise more quickly.

*adds 'get credit card with miles immediately' on to-do list*

Any preferred cards gentlemen?
    Seriously.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Hey Quo - most credit cos. have a mileage card. All how you want to play. Amex has a jet blue card, which is sick - I pretty much fly jet blue as often as I can. However Amex requires balance paid in full every month, which for a business kind of defeats the purpose. I need a thorough credit line that I can pay as I go. There are others, such as a United miles card or a Delta miles card or an American miles card - all through Visa, Amex, MC, whatever. Most cards have a selection.

I personally use a Capital One miles card because I can redeem the mileage on ANY airline out of the US. Recommended by my accountant. But you have to stay on top of your payments with them, their rates are a bitch. Peace - Jonny

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Excellent. Thanks.

• REMODEREMODE 91 Posts
    this funkyou post just made me remember something funny from last year..I was at a old record distributor/shop that had been closed forever ..had like a million records in there.well the guy who owned it says yeah some young kid was hear last week with a Uhaul truck and a suitecase of money..a suitecase..he said he filled his truck..I said you remeber his name.he said he was from missouri and I think he called himself Funkyou..I was just like fuck dude is a serious ...got his game on lock...ehh ..i did still find a few things but I am sure only because there was so many records.I am sure he got some major heat out of there .......

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    RAJ said:

“ He had an exceptionally strong bond with his dog, Shadow.”

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Nothing but respect for Funkyou!. He hustled hard. RIP.

• I always assumed he was much older.  May his memory be a blessing to all collectros of the raer. 

• RIP to the original record game doogie howser.

• 38 is very young. I hope I don’t break etiquette if I ask whether anyone knows what caused his death?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    RAJ said:

Just heard about this the other day, figured folks on Strut would have heard too. Pretty shocking since he was only 42. 

As I think the Strut archives suggest, Jason was a pioneer when it came to the eBay selling game with soul/funk in particular. RIP. 

RAJ

RAJ said:

Just heard about this the other day, figured folks on Strut would have heard too. Pretty shocking since he was only 42. 

As I think the Strut archives suggest, Jason was a pioneer when it came to the eBay selling game with soul/funk in particular. RIP. 

He was even younger at 38!  The fact he was so young and on Anthony Pearson level when he started was astonishing.  

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    He cast a wide net and was buying collections around the country. Dealers everywhere considered him competition. I know at some level he wasn't liked by some because of that but I can't knock the hustle. He always had mad raers for sale and got top dollar for everything. When I bought high dollar stuff from him he always shipped fast and over packaged the record in a bigger box and didn't charge extra for doing it which was nice. The funk and soul collecting community just lost a great resource. I hope his team keeps up the good work on his behalf.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
     I hope his team keeps up the good work on his behalf.

I'm actually curious how this would work. It could be that they incorporated in such a way in which the business has a line of succession but I imagine that if he passed away unexpectedly, there'd be nothing like that in place in which case, it could become some kind of probate issue to be litigated given that the funkyou! "brand" is lucrative. 

I hope his team keeps up the good work on his behalf.

I'm actually curious how this would work. It could be that they incorporated in such a way in which the business has a line of succession but I imagine that if he passed away unexpectedly, there'd be nothing like that in place in which case, it could become some kind of probate issue to be litigated given that the funkyou! "brand" is lucrative. 

Funkyousounds sent out this email yesterday:

"This week we mourn the recent passing of our founder and dear friend, Jason Koenig. 
    Words cannot express our shock and sorrow.

Jason was known to be kind, thoughtful and generous. He was loved by all who knew him and will be greatly missed.  

Jason was a gifted DJ and this business was his fervent passion. Please know that we, with heavy hearts, will continue to uphold the high standards he set for every facet of this operation in order to continue his legacy."

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    RAJ said:

Bought from him quite a few times, always solid. Also, the funkyou auctions hipped me to quite a few records I wouldn't have known, just from browsing the full auction based off a single item I wanted. RIP.

billbradley