FUNKYOU! ON EBAY

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    George Bonilla of Lazurus Audio had sealed Marrero on TSG back in the mid 90s, I think around $800. Havent seen it again since then. Marrero himself reportedly said that this record was never an authorized release. The Eric Dunbar on TSG must be a New Orleans piece, Traci Borges' Knight studio. Eric is still around and is just getting back on his feet again after Katrina, I dont think he can recollect anything about the circumstanses surronding the 'Freeway' LP and how it saw light of day. But I'll ask again and report back.

Like Dante said- tax scam label... like Guinness... the artists didn't know they were released, they were essentially bootlegs of demo reels made not to sell or to be destroyed, they were more profitable that way...

• MrSeanMrSean 57 Posts
    Im just surprised that these 'TSG bootlegs' havent yet been booted again in more recent times.

Im just surprised that these 'TSG bootlegs' havent yet been booted again in more recent times.

Agreed. Perhaps copies just haven't yet fallen into the hands of those who would profit from them...

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Just to touch base on the Funkyou! subject....

Im sure most of you guys are aware of the Wax Po' #13 interview with him right? The issue with the Meters has an interview on the last page. He is 21!! as of Sept. 05' Damn yo'

He is 21!! as of Sept. 05' Damn yo'

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Well, hopefully as he gets older he'll learn to swipe
    a cloth across records before he sells them, and grade
    them a little more responsibly.

• i've gotten a couple misgraded joints from him, which i chalk up the sheer volume of shit he's listing, but still...

I had the same problem. The records were so dusty that they couldn't be properly graded anyway. Also, he forgot to send records that I won. He was cool about getting me the records that he forgot to ship, though. The lesson that I've learnt from ebay is that I'd rather deal with a reputable shop for records over a certain price point. There was a seller that had a copy of J-Rock up. I'd throw 150 + at that, but for a mint copy, not something advertised as mint.

Same to me , all i bought in the past was overgraded, so i do not bid any more on his auctions

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    why is he being featured in wax po if he's a shady, overpricing, record hustling baby?

i'm just curious. 'cause if wax po is praising him for this... that's just weak... maybe he hooked them up with free vinyl for exposure or sumthin.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    anyway, yeah I'm getting close to throwing in the towel on buying off ebay altogether, it seems like the last 5 LPs I've copped have all been graded under a 2 Watt lightbulb.

i'm there with ya - been leaving post-its up for myself that plainly say: "no more ebay!" maybe we could start a support group? or maybe the answer is simply leaving negative feedback when reocrds don't arrive as described.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    anyone notice who won those last two TSG lp's?...

-also, don't think that FUNKYOU! isn't on here.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    how could a 21 year old record seller NOT BE on here?...

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    anyway, yeah I'm getting close to throwing in the towel on buying off ebay altogether, it seems like the last 5 LPs I've copped have all been graded under a 2 Watt lightbulb.

i'm there with ya - been leaving post-its up for myself that plainly say: "no more ebay!" maybe we could start a support group? or maybe the answer is simply leaving negative feedback when reocrds don't arrive as described.

i've got 2 post it notes on my monitor right now reminding me to leave neutral feedback to horrible misgraders on the last possible day. I won't leave negative unless someone straight rips me off, but it's time people be held accountable for their grading. And I'm not a crazy OCD collectro, but if something's described as NM and it looks like someone's cat fluffed it and I can't even play it, then something must be done.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    how could a 21 year old record seller NOT BE on here?...

Judging by his auctions, I'd say he's too busy making real world moves.

Not FUNKYOU related, but, personally, I am getting real tired
    of people who only offer Priority Mail as shipping, but then wait
    10 days to mail your package. What kind of bullshit is that?
    I bought one of those sealed Senor Soul LP's some dude has weight of
    on eBay, 10 days ago. Paid instantly and was only given the option of
    Priority. Still haven't got my album. Again, I ask: what kind of
    bullshit is that??

bullshit is that??

Well, look at it this way, you're still going to get your record sooner than you would otherwise.

LOL true, but something else I won 2 days later
    was shipped Media and is already in my possession

edit: as you can see in quoted text below, I completely mistyped
    this entire post...

LOL true, but I something else I won 2 days later
    was shipped Priority and is already in my possession

oh i hear you, just trying to point out the silver lining and all.

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    bullshit is that??

yeah ebay is killing me selling wise and buying wise. like i had the same thing, ended up paying 11 dollars for shipping including insurance and it took dude 3 weeks to send it and when it got here it hadn't even been sent insured. so basically he stole 4 dollars from me.

and selling wise nobody seems to be paying me until i take action with ebay after 3 weeks to a month after the auction ends. it's happening a lot and is a real pain.

• leolyxxxleolyxxx 446 Posts
    What's the deal with those TSG records?

Decent stuff, but more "rare soul" items than anything.
    TSG was in the same bag as Tiger Lily, Guinness, Dellwood, etc.
    Most of the releases are probably demos submitted to a major label, shelved/ignored, and later released as part of a tax scam.
    The Topics LP, and the excellent Ricardo Marrero release, are probably the hardest on the label.

Also most TSG lps was released later by Graham International which is considered to be second issues of the TSG in a way, Ultimates also came out on Br-Roma as some of their 45s. Graham in. also had that Lloyd Price "music" lp which i don't think was on TSG..

Damn i'm after that 1619 badass band lp, when oh when will i get one

peace
    L

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    bullshit is that??

Well, look at it this way, you're still going to get your record sooner than you would otherwise.

this is my point too...and you gotta remember, even if you pay right away that paypal transfers take 3 to 4 days to get into your account...and then weekends happen once a week and no mail on saturday (at least after noon) and sunday...ebay is a hard hustle! not only do you got to be out there digging as much as possible, you gotta list and follow up and package and send and it can be overwhelming! selling over a thousand records at once like funkyou! is some serious work...but damn it pays off!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yes it is a pain to ship and yes paypal takes a few days but BOTTOM LINE:

You can go to the post at least once a week.

Also, I don't know about yall but I don't need paypal to transfer shipping into my account just to go send off the packages... I mean put that shit on a credit card get some bonus miles and then pay that shit off later

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I mean put that shit on a credit card get some bonus miles and then pay that shit off later

There is a miracle in my wallet and it's called a PayPal Debit Card.

I mean put that shit on a credit card get some bonus miles and then pay that shit off later

Does it give you miles?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Does it give you miles?

No... just a Happy Ending!

Does it give you miles?

No... just a Happy Ending!

oh word??

Also, I don't know about yall but I don't need paypal to transfer shipping into my account just to go send off the packages... I mean put that shit on a credit card get some bonus miles and then pay that shit off later

of course, but as a business model...it makes sense to use the money paid for shipping for the shipping. 10 lps overseas adds up quick...close to $100...not chump change!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

of course, but as a business model...it makes sense to use the money paid for shipping for the shipping. 10 lps overseas adds up quick...close to $100...not chump change!

No, as a business model it makes sense to do what Paycheck does: use somebody else's money to pay for shipping and in the process get something for nothing (bonus miles).

No... as a business model you pay for that with credit, meanwhile transfer the funds, earn credit as well as bonuses/rewards, and pay off the card balance as soon as the money transfers into your account. This is a great way to build credit and earn rewards, not to mention your buyers get their merchandise more quickly.

i don't know about all this credit card talk...i try to use credit cards as little as possible!

i don't know about all this credit card talk...i try to use credit cards as little as possible!

That's hustling backwards homie!

Can't buy a house or a car with that shit.

Seriously, not trying to talk all big business, this is very easy and can be done sitting in front of your computer while you smoke pot and clean records... as I am doing right now...

OK off to the post office