R.I.P Jackie Mclean

GNZGNZ 68 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Hate to be doing this again, so soon after Don Alias.J.M was a true great, spread the music and philosophy tirelessly and relentlessly, and was one of the greatest musicians and players of all time.He is one of the reasons I play the saxophone today.If I listed all his great albums he put out it would be a mighty long list. Not to mention his numerous numerous sideman performances.Much Respect, love, etc.R.I.P(Put on "Poor Eric" from Right Now! and change the eric dolphy dedication to jackie mclean.)

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    DAMN! Are you serious?! Wifey and I saw him at the Blue Note Club Tokyo in 92 or 93 and he put on a great show. He worked with a lot of younger musicians and was one of the greats. SAD SAD news people.

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    RIP

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Man, this is sad news. RIP to one of the greats.

• one of the last of the be-bop era cats. R.I.P.

• One of my favorite horn players and jazz personalities. From the monster recording "The New Tradition", his Charlie Parker support/worship and battles with addiction, the high powered Prestige records, his solid as fuck Blue Note records, his understanding and acceptance of the "new music" scene in jazz, putting Grachan Moncur on, his ability to play both "in" and "out" with expertise, he was the real deal. Jackie you will be missed.

Destination... Out!,
    SonicReducer

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    So sad. One more giant no longer walks the earth.

All the best to his surviving family.

RIP

• Thanks for all the great music Jac-Mac!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    wow, i know everyone always says this when someon of his stature dies, but i really wish i saw him...

this is one of my top 5 late night records by anyone:

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Man, this is sad news. RIP to one of the greats.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    Listen to the WKCR memorial broadcast now through noon Tuesday.

It takes quite an artist to hold one's attention for several straight days, but McLean is one.

RIP

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    If you like hard bop this set is

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

There was/is no sound like Jackie McLean. R.I.P.

One of my favorite horn players and jazz personalities. From the monster recording "The New Tradition", his Charlie Parker support/worship and battles with addiction, the high powered Prestige records, his solid as fuck Blue Note records, his understanding and acceptance of the "new music" scene in jazz, putting Grachan Moncur on, his ability to play both "in" and "out" with expertise, he was the real deal. Jackie you will be missed.

Destination... Out!,
    SonicReducer

So true. Nice words SR. Such a unique tone on the alto.

I just put this on...

His solos on "Air Raid" EVERYTHING!

TOTALLY ESSENTIAL video

Jackie McLean on Mars. (1980)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0189618/

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Ah shit. I can't handle many more of these posts

Going to go listen to 'Bout Soul now.

• this is huge. this is horrible. one of the true giants.
    I was just enjoying Jackie over the weekend on 'One Step Beyond' and Hank Mobley's '52nd St Theme.'
    such a personal, idiosyncratic sound he had. I know some people don't like his style, but i don't think anyone would deny his stature and importance. I've seen him a few times, most recently a couple years ago; didn't see this one coming.

lotta jazz-age deaths. I just found out that a local DJ died over the weekend, for some reason it also is making me really sad. Len Hendry. guy played jazz 78s every saturday night on local public radio practically up until his death. A local institution, he had encyclopedic discographical knowledge. i'm not really into most of the swing he played but he really had a great on-air personality and I really respected what he did. and every once in a while i'd catch him playing some absolutely transcendent stuff like early big-band era Billie Holiday.

RIP to the greats. deepest thanks for everything. you'll be missed, celebrated, and warmly remembered.

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    Listen to the WKCR memorial broadcast now through noon Tuesday.

It takes quite an artist to hold one's attention for several straight days, but McLean is one.

RIP

I've been listening to this special from yeasterday, dude had just so much amazing material.
    His alto sound was also such an important part of Mingus' music.