Pre-weekend Lunchtime Finds...

pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
That 12" at the top of the image is the J's "When did you stop". I havn't listened to all this, but these are the best I think. They had a bunch of disco, mainstream funk and soul. I picked up a bunch of decent albums to complete my collection too (stuff like a Spinners LP I didn't have, an Isley Brothers, a 4 Tops...etcetc) I have been ITCHING for that williehutchthreesixraer. All a buck a piece. Nice!-peeJ

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I just had the best lunchtime finds in a while:

- Hideo Shiraki "S/T", OG Japan jazz raer on King Records

- Francy Boland "Out of the background", OG on Saba, tree label

- Tony Coe "Coe-existence", OG on Lee Lambert! This was reissued by whatmusic, I think.

- Richard Boone "I've got the right to sing" on Nocturne Hollywood.

No camera, no pics.

• Breakfast finds for me, since I'm three hours behind you guys...

Local sweet soul, and for once a flea market 45 is actually in clean condition.

The Stevie and Fantastic Aleems were also flea digs. The rest of the stuff I picked up in San Francisco a couple days ago. The Walias Band I'm listening to right now. Cool stuff with Mahmoud Ahmed singing on two tracks! Privately pressed in the U.S.

• I found this one today.
    BEGINNING OF THE END - Funky Nassau. And a cuple of others.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    lp's
    coke - 's/t' (triangle sound)
    richie havens - 'mixed bag' (verve)

45's
    the superlatives - 'don't let true love die/she's my wonder woman' (dynamics)
    the fabulous peps - 'i can't get right/why are you blowing my mind' (premium stuff)

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

what pressing of Velvets and Nico?

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    roy ayers ubiquity - vibrations
    isaac hayes - tough guys soundtrack
    brick - good high

yeah im a new jack, just trying to expand my collection with fairly well known chit

i went to a library booksale today, hoping to get some cheap wax, but shit had record store prices, and nothing interesting so i didn't pick anything up there

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

lunchtime. in the 'free' pile.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

what pressing of Velvets and Nico?

Stereo Verve

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts

lunchtime. in the 'free' pile.

FREE??? that's bonkers.

• lunchtime. in the 'free' pile.

What's the music like? I've never seen it.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    it's hard to explain, sort of a split lp between hippie folky xian & ultra odd electric piano/primitive drum machine/echochamber black gospel.

---

• David_GDavid_G 60 Posts
    Charlie Rich
    Every Time You Touch Me (I Get High)
    Epic

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    it's hard to explain, sort of a split lp between hippie folky xian & ultra odd electric piano/primitive drum machine/echochamber black gospel.

---

so in a nutshell, its Detroit music?

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i just had a cubano sammich at versailles. man, that place is overrated.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    i've had a real good week...especially the last two days...

unknown reggae dub cut that is so sick...50 cents

i've been looking for this for at least a year or two now...walked into a academy and it was staring at me from the dollar bin! Vg+ copy...seriously good music.

that's right...a hidden strength "hustle on up" promo 12" from 1975!? sick tune, very rare, one of the earliest 12"s...$2

jazz dance record with some funky stuff on it

again from the academy dollar bin...Vg to Vg+ copy...great play copy.

$10 for a $150 record ain't too shabby!

mint white label promo on phillips...sick funky jazz...$3.00

trinidadian/brooklynite? carribean disco funk...i've had this before and his other more sought after 12"...a cover version of the salsoul cut "you're just the right size"...this one has a cool female sung original on the flip of this decent otis cover.

mint promo psych record on mainstream...all the tell-tale signs of a popsike (and pop psych) record...best song title: galvenized midget. $3

also $3...best song title: "Roxanne (Thanks for Getting Me High)"

• Options
    I always mix this up, but Turpin is from Bermuda I believe (or is it the Bahamas..anyway one of the 2).

K.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

$10 for a $150 record ain't too shabby!

If you're not into it Patrick, I need...

Not sure of this particular one but I would suspect the condition warranted the price. Those guys aren't cheap with the raer jazz... yet and still, I have a feeling that they see me coming and hide any good records.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Got this nice reissue in the mail

and more...

sealed for $2...really tempted to open this...

sealed for $0.50...really wanna open this too!

later 80s uk press of this arthur russell disco classic...nice arthur remix on the b-side

never seen this before...really good funky female electro funk / boogie

again...never seen this but it's a wicked electro cut with great dubbed-out rapping

very happy to find this...very rare A Certain Ratio 12"..."Kether Hot Knives" / "Knife Slits Water"...in original factory sleeve for $2...both sides are very funky and full of breaks.

If you're not into it Patrick, I need...

Not sure of this particular one but I would suspect the condition warranted the price. Those guys aren't cheap with the raer jazz... yet and still, I have a feeling that they see me coming and hide any good records.

record is really clean...was in the new arrival bin...good eyes though on the price tag spotting!

open the ramona brooks. Such a great cut.

• Options
    One of the best.

K.

if two respected music lovers and record dealers tell me it's good and to open...done.

• Options
    ....um, a customer of mine with no taste wants it. Will you trade?

:?, K.

You won't regret it. I don't know the one on Blue but I've liked everything else I've had on that label.

And sure enough, that psych record is pretty big cheese.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    That Advancement album is really good.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    that's one of my favorite Dolphy joints...Ron Carter's cello work is

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    estate sale jazz score!!!!

getting up at 7 AM paid off today. in we go when they open the door. there were 2
    boxes of LPs near a fireplace. i sort of morphed over one to inspect it in privacy.
    an older guy grabbed the other a minute later. as i was doing a facemelt over my
    box, he flipped thru his and looked pissed off! i quickly picked mine up and walked
    right on down and paid and bailed before i got lynched. I never even saw what was
    in the other box but i suspect it was more rock-ish. mine had all the below plus
    about 10 whatever CSNY etc rock records not worth photographing. suffice it to say
    this was a very very very good deal. most of this stuff is vg to vg+ with some at
    vg++ crispy clean. a few are vg- but no skips so far. so many of these ive never
    seen in the field before.

the top center dexter on dootone is effing r a e r