Things that did not make sense to you as a child

canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
What are some things that just didn't make sense to you when you were a kid.Cheque Books[/b]I remember I once asked my mom:me: How much does those cheque books cost?mom: $20me: So you just buy the book and write the cheques?mom: yes.me: So, for $20, you can buy anything?I don't remember her response, but it probably wasn't very good because it confused the shit out of me for a long time. I remember really wanting a bank account when the Nintendo hit the shelves so I could buy a cheque book and thus a NES.The Expression "Time Flys"[/b]I remember being in grade one and looking at a Time magazine (probably one of my earliest memories). There was an advertisement which featured a bunch of watches with wings and it said "Time flys" somewhere. I never really understood that phrase until I was a teenager, and I had a really big epiphany.

Comments

• I didn't understand the concept of getting change.

I thought that everytime that you bought something, you deserved to get money back; even if you paid with the exact change.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    why my mom promised to take me to disney land when i turned 9 but never did

• boast1boast1 142 Posts
    DAMNIT! i just typed out this long ass story and pressed continue..

"We cannot proceed.
    The form you have submitted is no longer valid.

Please use your back button to return to the previous page."

Lost forever!

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    June 21st Is "The Longest Day of the Year"[/b]

I had this one for years, even though it is real simple.

Don't all days have 24 hours in them, except in the fall when clocks go back?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

"We cannot proceed.

Lost forever!

No, not quite.

Press your back button to your original reply (if the window is still open)
    select all the text in your reply
    copy
    go to the main index
    go back to the thread in question
    make a new reply
    paste text

Voila!

Happens to me often if my reply is long winded. Sometimes I just write long replies on a stickie (Mac) or a text editor and then copy-paste it in when I make the actual reply.

---

Back to the topic at hand: paying taxes was a big mystery to me when I was a kid.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

It wouldn't be so confusing if people didn't simplify the actual definition. It's not the "longest" day. It's the day with the largest amount of sunlit hours (i.e. the interval sunrise-sunset is at its maximum).

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    remote controls.(magic)

french kissing (only in France?)

analog clocks...(if we have digital and it is so much easier to tell time that way, why do we need hands?)

Ms. Pacman. (icegrill)

wine and beer (it tastes yukky, why do grownups drink it?)

why wile e coyote always brought from ACME

and for a long time i was convinced that dogs were the boys and cats were the girls.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Big confusion between bodyguards and budgerigars. I didn't understand why all the famous people had little green birdies looking after them - I thought there must be a breed of super ninja tweetie pies out there.

• Santa Claus and God. I don't remember ever believing in either of them...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    church
    cd's(i remember i threw my first cd on the turntable)

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Santa Claus and God. I don't remember ever believing in either of them...

Whocaressssssssssss... We just wanna know... Do you believe in Lizzard people??????????

• Santa Claus and God. I don't remember ever believing in either of them...

Whocaressssssssssss... We just wanna know... Do you believe in Lizzard people??????????

The people advocating for Santa and God are infinitely more convincing than the Lizard People contingent, and they didn't win me over....

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Santa Claus and God. I don't remember ever believing in either of them...

The people advocating for Santa and God are infinitely more convincing than the Lizard People contingent, and they didn't win me over....

Dude..........

The lizards are watching.........

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i thought brothers and sisters had to marry each other

that my doctor was going to take me away from my parents

we were at park one day and this couple was horsing around - the guy was pretending that he was going to throw the girl into the pond and she was yelling and kicking and so on. it freaked me right out. i didn't understand why no one would help, i lost my shit and was screaming at my parents to help her.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    and for a long time i was convinced that dogs were the boys and cats were the girls.

• chrischris 287 Posts
    1-800 numbers with letters in them.
    i could see that the numeric pad had letters on it, but still couldn't figure out how that whole thing worked even after numerous explanations from my parents.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    1-800 numbers with letters in them.
    i could see that the numeric pad had letters on it, but still couldn't figure out how that whole thing worked even after numerous explanations from my parents.

Cosign

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    banks and money...

and they still don't make any sense to me.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

I used to ask my Dad the same thing. Children don't quite understand that when we say "day" we mean daylight.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I didn't understand the concept of getting change.

I thought that everytime that you bought something, you deserved to get money back; even if you paid with the exact change.
    Classic child logic!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

"We cannot proceed.

Lost forever!

Ha! That's why I don't usually post in the "record finds" threads...wrote this laundry-list of some cool stuff I found at the convention last weekend, and by the time I'm through, off into thin air it went.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

When i was little my older sisters told me that when you had your tonsils out you changed from a boy into a girl or vise-versa; that they had both once been little boys before having their tonsils removed; and that I was going to have to have mine removed.

Absolute, sheer, terror.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    oh yeah...these things.

i recall getting into some dirt (literally) as a kid an my mom telling me that i was so filthy i was going to be cleaned with a "brillo" pad. not knowing what that word meant, i understood it as "gorilla" pad.

i was shook

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

word me too.

• 1-800 numbers with letters in them.

I used to wonder how people were supposed to call hooked on phonics, their phone number was 1-800 ABCDEFG.

Not exactly the same thing but I've never been able to expain the concept of "call waiting" to a deaf person

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    oh yeah...these things.

i recall getting into some dirt (literally) as a kid an my mom telling me that i was so filthy i was going to be cleaned with a "brillo" pad. not knowing what that word meant, i understood it as "gorilla" pad.

i was shook

dude fuck a gorilla pad I'd be shook enough getting cleaned with a brillo pad.

TORTURE MUTHAFUCKAH WHUT!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    dude fuck a gorilla pad I'd be shook enough getting cleaned with a brillo pad.

TORTURE MUTHAFUCKAH WHUT!

i think my mom hatted me...

Oh...another thing. People being Double-Jointed. I had NO FUCKING CLUE what that meant as a kid, but for some reason i got the idea that it allowed people to fit into tight places by making themselves all compact and $hit.

I think i likened it to my transformers.

• debardebar 215 Posts
    I used to tell my friends I lived in condoms...

I never understood why they laughed at me until years later.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts

In spite of having cats and dogs worked out I did think that horses were male cows.