JESUS!!! (The GOSPEL related.)

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Not to blasphemous... I mean, I'm Jewish and all. But I don't want to offend any Christians out there with what may have been breaking the third commandment.But this dude was just playing a show on WFMU of like the most SERIOUS gospel tunes I've ever heard. I'm not talking "gospel breaks" or none of that but the type of stuff that makes you sit in your car stopped at a green light cause you feel like you're going to cry, the type of joints that makes you start visualizing and planning your own funeral. HEAVY SAUSE. Mouth Wide Open Material. Jesus.So I mean I know some of the heavyweights in the gospel world having worked in a record store 10 years ago that sold a lot of that stuff, both classic and contemporary. This stuff was definitely R.A.W. though and sounded like it was recorded on wax cylinders. They also were playing these DOPE P.S.A.s in between every several songs that were like "Call Madame Ross' Evil-Doers Dispelling Service today, located in Montgomery 2 miles from Cedric Henderson Trade School."I didn't get any of the names of any of the songs or groups save a few:The Mighty Sons[/b] "Stand By Me" (it made me MELTThe Swan SilvertonesThe Wandering Souls[/b]That's all. Real serious. Feel free to add on...

Comments

• babblesbabbles 29 Posts
    Might as well resurrect my first ever SS post...

This record,

recorded here in the Moving Star Hall on Johns Island...

by these fine Gullah (or Geechee if you're Trick Daddy) people ...

will blow your goddam mind.

The songs, or "shouts," as they're called are all a cappella, accompanied by some of the illest footstomps and hand-claps you never heard.

Boom clap half-clap boom clap boom.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    You will most definitely have a 'moment' to the;

Staples Singers - Uncloudy day.

The whole LP is simply sublime. The title cut is a pure face melter. Electric guitar through a Lesley Speaker and the marvellous Family Staples harmonies.....that's it.

Just awesome.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Might as well resurrect my first ever SS post...

This record,

recorded here in the Moving Star Hall on Johns Island...

by these fine Gullah (or Geechee if you're Trick Daddy) people ...

will blow your goddam mind.

The songs, or "shouts," as they're called are all a cappella, accompanied by some of the illest footstomps and hand-claps you never heard.

Boom clap half-clap boom clap boom.

you ain't kiddin. If you want to hear this there are samples here..
    http://www.smithsonianglobalsound.org/containerdetail.aspx?itemid=613

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Cosmo, were you listening to Sinner's Crossroad w/ Kevin Nutt?

http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/CR

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Cosmo, were you listening to Sinner's Crossroad w/ Kevin Nutt?

http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/CR

I guess I was. Dude killed that shit.