apartment strut

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
...so finally having some time to look for apartments now that the ex is moving out. Shit is hectic, and kinda depressing. Looking to move in with someone who is already settled is a bitch, cause most of the time they have monopolized all the common area, and I'm finding a very disappointing trend of most common spaces being devoted to a couch and a ginormous entertainment center (leaving no room for anything else). Now I know this is a standard living room setup, but when fools put up witty classified ads talking about how cool the neighborhood and roomates are, and then I go into a slighty more mature frat house it's like I keep thinking about an interview with Ricky Powell I read talking about how NYC has been ruined by all these suburban assholes who think they are so creative and edgy, but in truth they are really milquetoast. I think Upski said it best:"The suburbs is more than just an unfortunate geographical location, it is an unfortunate state-of-mind. It's the American state-of-mind, founded on fear, conformity, shallowness of character and dullness of imagination." ugh.

Comments

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    try living in Chandler, AZ.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I hear you man, I've had it living with other people and finally got my own place. I'm moving on saturday and I'm really excited. It's gonna cost me, but I think it'll be worth it.

• I hear you man, I've had it living with other people and finally got my own place. I'm moving on saturday and I'm really excited. It's gonna cost me, but I think it'll be worth it.

yeah, I was going to look at a basement apt. in a building full of DJs and musicians, and the guy rented it in the 2hours between when I called him and when I scheduled my viewing.

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    I miss my old place so so much. It's an office now, and the interior is all clad out and has completely lost its charm.
    The were photos taken when it was up for sale.

This room was mirrored on the other side, where i had my music room.

and i really liked the view too, nothing special but i like the city/industrial surroundings.

I don't think i will ever find a place that is anywhere near as cool as that joint to rent, i just wish i had the bank to buy it when it went up for sale.

• Double_BDouble_B 169 Posts
    I miss my old place so so much. It's an office now, and the interior is all clad out and has completely lost its charm.

and i really liked the view too, nothing special but i like the city/industrial surroundings.

I don't think i will ever find a place that is anywhere near as cool as that joint to rent, i just wish i had the bank to buy it when it went up for sale.

Yeah it was pretty sweet, but thats my sisters bed, side tables and leather lounges (she was overseas working- the shitty couch is mine!) and the ceiling was aspestos

And the wiring was really really bad. But it looks pretty sweet in those photos. I doubt I'll ever find somewhere nearly as good again, and definately not for 280 a week.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I hear you man, I've had it living with my ex-girlfriend and finally got my own place. I'm moving on saturday and I'm really excited. It's gonna cost me, but I think it'll be worth it.

April 1st cannot come soon enough, ugh...

• Double_BDouble_B 169 Posts
    I doubt I'll ever find somewhere nearly as good again, and definately not for 280 a week.

OK you were paying like $1100 for that shit? Oh man. Dude I envy the shit out of you.

This shit makes me remember how expensive manhattan really is. Try going into any neighborhood in nyc and ask a realtor to show you what you can get for $1100, you'll see a studio apartment where the oven is right next to where you put your bed.

I doubt I'll ever find somewhere nearly as good again, and definately not for 280 a week.

OK you were paying like $1100 for that shit? Oh man. Dude I envy the shit out of you.

This shit makes me remember how expensive manhattan really is. Try going into any neighborhood in nyc and ask a realtor to show you what you can get for $1100, you'll see a studio apartment where the oven is right next to where you put your bed.

Well im in Brisbane, Australia, so in terms of US dollars it was 775 a month. The average weekly for something like that would be 400-500 AUD, so like 280 - 350 USD.

You guys (much like my family in london) pay way too much for way too little space. Its getting to be like that more and more in Sydney and Melbourne though. Terraced housing/apartments are your only bet to get close to the city centre. Whereas my parents (and curently me) live in 150 year old colonial 2 storey house, that is maybe 2-3 minutes drive to the centre of Brisbane.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    You guys (much like my family in london) pay way too much for way too little space. Its getting to be like that more and more in Sydney and Melbourne though. Terraced housing/apartments are your only bet to get close to the city centre. Whereas my parents (and curently me) live in 150 year old colonial 2 storey house, that is maybe 2-3 minutes drive to the centre of Brisbane.

damn you for your boasting you heartless scallion.

come to Amsterdam.... then we can talk "pay way too much for way too little space" when i think what i could have at home (NZ) for what im paying here ( )...

brings a tear to the eye.

I hear you man, I've had it living with my ex-girlfriend and finally got my own place. I'm moving on saturday and I'm really excited. It's gonna cost me, but I think it'll be worth it.

April 1st cannot come soon enough, ugh...
    Yeah dude. I've been in that situation.

I'm dreading saturday because I'm sitting in a sea of private terds I don't want to move.

• gibla74gibla74 182 Posts
    Prices in the UK are I pay the equivalent of $1,390 a month rent for a small 1 bed & I'm not even in London!
    Although property is way cheaper in Australia aren't wages alot less too so it evens out???

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    Prices in the UK are

Too true, I'm 2 years into a 25 year mortgage after renting for 12 years but the upside is that I'm paying the same amount I used to pay to rent.
    However making that first step to buy somewhere is expensive(fees etc) and

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    London prices = ridiculous. My friend just sold his shitty, 2 bed, gardenless North London flat, moved back to Toronto and still had change from a nice four bed house with a big garden in a good neighbourhood. I'm tempted to do the same.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    damn, im about to move out of my little one bedroom apt in hollywood. I want to buy something soon when i get some real dough. paying rent is throwing money away.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Apartments are pretty reasonably priced in my area, but thats expected--however, my room mate and I are going to be moving in less than a month and we can't find shit. Either places are too small or too much or in wack locations. I'm dreading moving all my records out.

• ...so finally having some time to look for apartments now that the ex is moving out. Shit is hectic, and kinda depressing. Looking to move in with someone who is already settled is a bitch, cause most of the time they have monopolized all the common area, and I'm finding a very disappointing trend of most common spaces being devoted to a couch and a ginormous entertainment center (leaving no room for anything else). Now I know this is a standard living room setup, but when fools put up witty classified ads talking about how cool the neighborhood and roomates are, and then I go into a slighty more mature frat house it's like

I keep thinking about an interview with Ricky Powell I read talking about how NYC has been ruined by all these suburban assholes who think they are so creative and edgy, but in truth they are really milquetoast. I think Upski said it best:

"The suburbs is more than just an unfortunate geographical location, it is an unfortunate state-of-mind. It's the American state-of-mind, founded on fear, conformity, shallowness of character and dullness of imagination."

ugh.

Yeah...sorry, man, but it's really true. I'm feeling the same way these days.
    There are still spaces out there, but you gotta get your dig on.
    Best of luck.

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    Richmond, Virginia still got cheaper rent than most cities ..... but you know the deal..... boring, apathetic, and lame ass girls. me rent is only $200 ..... crazy cheap eah.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    yeah fuck renting

we couldnt take this shit no more... $1225 for a 1000sqft loft in a pretty shit neighbourhood..

just bought a house back in the maritimes.. our mortage plus utiliites / bills is still a couple hundred less

really looking forward to this... 15 minute walk to a lake you can swim in.. 2 blocks to the duck pond.. 10 minutes to downtown...basement for the drums...

ahhhh

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Richmond, Virginia still got cheaper rent than most cities ..... but you know the deal..... boring, apathetic, and lame ass girls. me rent is only $200 ..... crazy cheap eah.

Where do you live in Richmond? In a van down by the river? No it is way cheap here, buying a home here is a really good idea because prices are really low. Its only going to cost me like an extra $200 a month to buy as opposed to renting. The girls in richmond are kind of lame, good thing [no real doll]I brought one with me when I moved here.[/no real doll]

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    damn, im about to move out of my little one bedroom apt in hollywood. I want to buy something soon when i get some real dough. paying rent is throwing money away.

I agree with throwing money away, but housing pricing in LA is off the chain. The houses behind the store went from being $750K on average to being $950K on average, in about 1 year... At that price a 30 year mortgage is going to be at least double what you pay in rent unless you drop some coin for a downpayment.

Just waiting for this shit to take a dip,

damn you for your boasting you heartless scallion.

come to Amsterdam.... then we can talk "pay way too much for way too little space" when i think what i could have at home (NZ) for what im paying here ( )...

Yeah I got into a swedish university and it was the same deal there. I couldnt afford to live anywhere near campus (in shoeboxes no less!) and couldnt really afford to be travelling (more time wise than feduciary) so i had to let it go

Mum is a clean living catholic accountant (ie disaproves of pretty much every aspect of my lifetyle) so things are pretty tense. The stress isnt really worth the position...

And in terms of wages, i make the equivalent of about 550 US a week, and that for about 55-60 hours work, so is $10 an hour really low?

• lucerolucero 425 Posts

I used to live in darlinghurst, about the same time you did (or worked there) going by those, aheem, stories you posted a while back

this was my view:

and the local station:

• do all new yorkers bitch about how their city is ruined and nothing is like it used to be, then travel to anywhere else in the world and complain that its not as good as new york? kinda like dudes on here that complain about record nerds/ record buying jerks/ ect ad nauseum without realizing the irony.

I shouldn't even be speaking on this as I'm not a native NYer, but this kinda stuff was a part of the reason I left LA, and it was disappointing to see it out here as well.

but...the good news is that my landlord may let me stay out my lease and only pay MY HALF OF THE RENT!! which means 2 BR bachelor pad for $600!!! Sweet...

There WILL be a BBQ

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    An English guy I know makes t-shirts that say "L.A. is for Pussies" on the front. It's funny because it's true

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    I hear you man, I've had it living with other people and finally got my own place. I'm moving on saturday and I'm really excited. It's gonna cost me, but I think it'll be worth it.

yeah, I was going to look at a basement apt. in a building full of DJs and musicians, and the guy rented it in the 2hours between when I called him and when I scheduled my viewing.

was it on McKibben St.? if so, that was probably my apartment...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    do all new yorkers bitch about how their city is ruined and nothing is like it used to be, then travel to anywhere else in the world and complain that its not as good as new york?

Only the native New Yorkers.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    do all new yorkers bitch about how their city is ruined and nothing is like it used to be, then travel to anywhere else in the world and complain that its not as good as new york?

its not so much complaining, as just stating the obvious

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

its not so much complaining, as just stating the obvious

HEH HEH.

My co-worker and I were discussing certain thing in NYC that are obviously "suburban/outoftown" type changes that let you know Old NYC is dyin.

1) Trader Joe's
    2) Street signs that are suspended above the street.
    3) ADD ON