Bid Retractions ???

Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
I was wondering if anyone could school me on the ins and outs of them...The reason I'm asking is the same bidder has twice outbid me on several auctions then immediately retracted his bids claiming he entered the wrong amount...So out of curiosity I checked his Ebay history and suprise, he has 60 retractions in the last 12 months...Is this some shady way of checking out what other bidders are prepared to pay ???I must admit I'm a little irked...

Comments

• tjamestjames 156 Posts

I've never seen this happen. But... I must admit that I'm curious to whom you refer. Who is this bid-retractor?

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    yeah they do that to see what the high bid is. I'm not sure why someone would do that necessarily...were the retractions all with the same seller or various sellers? Can you see that info anywhere?

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    I'm not sure if its acceptable to post his ebay ID...but I don't think he posts here though...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    yeah they do that to see what the high bid is. I'm not sure why someone would do that necessarily...were the retractions all with the same seller or various sellers? Can you see that info anywhere?

Here's one reason......the seller could have multiple ID's....see's what the high bid is and then shill bids with another ID to drive it up to his maximum profit....I know of one guy who was kicked off ebay for doing this.

were the retractions all with the same seller or various sellers?

The retractions were with various sellers,I think its a bit shitty as he could check what the highest bid is then snype with a higher offer...seems a little out of order.

Here's one reason......the seller could have multiple ID's....see's what the high bid is and then shill bids with another ID to drive it up to his maximum profit....I know of one guy who was kicked off ebay for doing this.

Ahh thats pretty devious, however I'm pretty sure he isn't doing this as he bids on a variety of sellers and I come across his name fairly regularly...

• Options
    Who bids early? It is to your advantage to keep information imperfect.

Kevin.

yeah that's what i was thinking too.

• tjamestjames 156 Posts
    I understand your reservation. In fact I knew I was pushing it with my inquiry. As an avid ebay'er I just like to know who's "shady".

tjames

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I think this is a pretty well known ebay practice to find out someone's high bid or the hidden reserve of an auction. So you can make up your mind whether or not it is a waste of time bidding.

I think this is a pretty well known ebay practice to find out someone's high bid or the hidden reserve of an auction. So you can make up your mind whether or not it is a waste of time bidding.

soooo lemme see if I got this straight...in order to find out whether or not bidding is a "waste of time", a person should bid and then retract their bid? Instead of just bidding once like a normal person would? Yeah uh

• let me guess who this is....funkymuse perhaps?

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    Theres a particular guy who does this to most of my auctions. Therefore, I have him 'blocked' from now on.
    I'm pretty sure he just registered a new eBay name so he can continue, but I'm onto him.

• Probably a french ebay user??? I had one who retracted 20 seconds after his bid.... so i suggest he has the bid retract form prepaired b e f o r e he did his bid. Happened about 3 months ago, he had 8 feedback, and 26 retracts and started 2 weeks before this happened.....
    peace G

• Who bids early?

Good question. There was a whole post asking "why do people bid early" not too long ago.

My question: if everyone here agrees that bidding latelatelate is the way to go, why do cats bump their threads six times in "Sales/Classifieds" and get aggy when no one has bid on their ish yet?

Which is it?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

soooo lemme see if I got this straight...in order to find out whether or not bidding is a "waste of time", a person should bid and then retract their bid? Instead of just bidding once like a normal person would? Yeah uh
    Exactly, some people have strange bidding practices, what more can I say??