NEW RECORD SPOT IN PHILLY

AdelfiAdelfi 92 Posts
edited March 2006 in Announcements
Ok, technically it's not new but it might as well be.The store is AKA Music and for the last 6 years the vinyl section's been pretty weak. It's that store most people think of as the indie rock spot and "oh yeah, they got some 99 cent records in the back."I was hired on about three months ago as the vinyl guy and I've been working pretty hard at getting decent titles in and buying up collections to bulk up the inventory. It's still not where I want it to be but is much improved. We have some record displays, some turntables (finally), and will be replacing the record racks soon as well.I've put off posting until I felt there were enough choice titles in the racks and on the walls. Here are a few things we have at the moment - JAZZ/FUNK/SOUL - STANLEY COWELL - Regeneration (STRATA EAST OG) Near Mint. One of 10 amazing jazz titles I discovered sitting in a crate in the back when I first started working.DONALD BYRD - Royal Flush (BLUE NOTE #4101) Original MONO/Deep Groove/Van Gelder Stamp/NY Address. This one has some surface scuffs but nothing serious and it plays great. Marked crazy low compared to Popsike and Ebay.PHAROAH SANDERS - Tauhid (Impulse Stereo) Black & Orange 4 logo label/Van Gelder.JACKIE MCLEAN - Bluesnik (Blue Note #4067) Original MONO/Deep Groove/Van Gelder/NY Address. Again this OG goes for insane amounts on Popsike and on Ebay. This copy has a slight seam split and some surface scuffs but plays well. Marked low considering.MILES - Kind Of Blue - Original MONO 6 Eye Columbia (Currently on hold for 3rdstream)DAVE BURRELL - Echo - Original Near Mint on ActuelDON CHERRY - Eternal Rhythm - '72 Near MintGRANT GREEN - Iron City OG - Not really a wall item but this copy is pristine. Marked CHEAP!ROY AYERS UBIQUITY - Red Black & Green - Original SEALED copy. Marked low.JAMES BROWN - Sho Is Funky Down Here (PROMO) Nice copy. Instrumentals.NIKKI GIOVANNI - Truth Is On It's Way - Near Mint - spoken word with the New York Community Choir backing her up.Tons of other decent Jazz and Soul titles including crazy cheap 12"s (Disco, Boogie, etc.)HIP HOP -I'll start off by mentioning that we actually have a decent amount of NEW Hip Hop vinyl. Most is of the back packer type along with some bigger titles. We have a ton of USED Hip Hop 12"s as well - some dudes collection who clearly worshipped Rawkus/Stones Throw circa 2000-2002 along with some classic SUGAR HILL(Positive Force/West Street Mob/etc.), PROFILE, WILD PITCH & TOMMY BOY ish. Some Hip Hop wall items - O.C. - Word... Life - SEALED Promo full-lengthJUNGLE BROTHERS - A few original early 12"sPETE ROCK - T.R.O.Y. 12" OG / I Got A Love 12" OGPHARCYDE - Runnin' OG / Bizarre Ride OG------------------------------ROCK - Unfortunately this is what we have the most of. Most AKA shoppers are rock heads and therefore we end up with a lot of Fleetwood Mac and Moody Blues LP's cloggin' up the bins. I've marked a ton of this stuff down to 10 cents as well as hundreds down to 99 cents. Occasionally we get some decent Psych records like we received recently - PINK FLOYD - Piper At The Gates... OG VG+ on TemplePINK FLOYD - More (Soundtrack) OG VG+PINK FLOYD - Early Dutch Best Of (crazy Popsike/Ebay prices) THE PAUPERS - '68 Psych on Vanguard VG+LOVE - Forever Changes - OG on Gold Label Elektra - Near MintZODIAC COSMIC SOUNDS - Weird early Moog freakout - OG on Gold Label Elektra-------------------------------So stop by if you're in the area and if you live here and gave up on the spot years ago, you're in for a big surprise.

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Where is this place?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Where is this place?

Right on South Street near 611, PRex and all of those other shops. You've probably either been in or walked by it before.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I haven't been downtown in a minute (hibernation related), but I do remember some guy in dreads selling stuff at record shows exclaiming he was opening a shop. Same deal?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I haven't been downtown in a minute (hibernation related), but I do remember some guy in dreads selling stuff at record shows exclaiming he was opening a shop. Same deal?

Different store. I think you're talking about the plain looking dude John and his friend with dreads and the bandana - New World Syndicate. That's not too far from South St., but I haven't been to peep their goods yet. Big Tone has though and says it's pretty straight.

• AdelfiAdelfi 92 Posts
    We're located at 27 N. 2nd St. - OLD CITY

Gotta thank the anonymous strutters (I'm assuming) that showed up late last night and bought up a lot of what I listed. The T.R.O.Y. is gone along with the Pharcyde ish as well as the Don Cherry and Dave Burrell.

We have a couple Jazz and Dance (Electro/Freestyle/Disco mainly) collections that'll be hitting the floor sometime next week.

See you Saturday Drew...

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I scooped a "Lung Collapsing Lyrics" for $15 from there 4 or 5 months ago.

-e

• i went through today, nothing i needed, but keep us abreast. new world dude got in a couple collections you all should look through funk/soul/latin etc.

whens the next record revival anyone?