AFRICAN RECORDS

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited November 2015 in Music Talk
i sold a couple on ebay and for whatever reason i just skimmed through most of them. sold all of them and had four left from a deadbeat. anyhow i listened to them and i really liked what i heard. most are the same or the same rHythms. kinda cool. any artist that i should look for that are considered hot? gonna start looking for more. even tho i have no idea what they are saying.www.thecraftbeats.com
TAGGED:

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    If you have 1000 Miles by Admiral Dele Abiodun and His Top Hitters Band, please please please lemme get a copy from you.

• Options
    Typically, what you find in the States is late 70's - mid 80's highlife records (save for NY and Washington which distributed earlier titles...and certain private presses from Aficans recording in the States...from LA and Chicago to name a few), but there are gems amongst them. I suggest listening to them before selling.

K in Canada.

But to answer your question... Here in Houston, you shouldn't have that big of a problem finding African records (especially Nigerian and Ghanan), I dig on Juju and Highlife style African joints. Usually anything after 1980 is trash, but some Juju joints are still hot after then. I got a spot that asses up some good African from tiem to time. I also got paid in records to do an all African gig last summer.

Just some to get you started:

Ebenezer Obey
    Prince Nico Mbarga & Rocafil jazz (just sold the joint with "sweet mother" on eBay to Awall, looking for another copy)
    Dele Abiodun[
    Fela(of course)
    Ankala (Nigeria, not Australia) (if you see the "brothers by divine intervention" record, holla at me immediately)
    Sunny Ade (if you see the OG (african release, red cover with the chics dancing, of Synchro system, holla at me)

• William Onyeabor. can't remember the title of the track but it was from '75 and it was funky as hell! I just heard it last night. I think it's a Nigerian record. It kinda opened my eyes a bit, cause I don't know ish about African records outside of Fela.

• Options
    He's got a couple tight LP's from that era. Him and keyboards ont he cove blue/purple-sih tinge?

K>

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Remmy Ongala has always been good to me.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    William Onyeabor. can't remember the title of the track but it was from '75 and it was funky as hell! I just heard it last night. I think it's a Nigerian record. It kinda opened my eyes a bit, cause I don't know ish about African records outside of Fela.

Get the Body & Soul 12" that came out recently with a nice Scientist remix on the flip.

DJ Ferrari

• Options
    That's on the LP.

K.

• THOMAS MAPFUMO is the mufuckin man. very unique... anything by him

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Fela (of course)

okay, great topic. i was just about to ask somebody. Say for Fela's "Zombie" release, there's supposedly the Nigerian pressing from 1976 on Kalakuta, and the US pressing from 1977 on Mercury. so my question is, are there noticeable differences in sound? Does the Mercury pressing sound more refined?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I don't know about that one in particular but I know there are different versions of "Go Slow", african presses generally sound better (dependent on condition of course), but they are pricey.

It is probably a good idea for you to not worry about african press felas. There are decent enough reissues about that will save you literally thousands of dollars.

yea i am considering that Fela box set that i see on ebay and elsewhere. Seems like a good investment. Although, as always having the original pressings are kinda cool...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    having the original pressings are kinda cool will cost you a small fortune ...

having the original pressings are kinda cool will cost you a small fortune ...

very true. but ya know it's hard to compromise. someday...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    yea i am considering that Fela box set that i see on ebay and elsewhere. Seems like a good investment. Although, as always having the original pressings are kinda cool...

There are actually four of them, for a total of--I think--24 records.

yea i've seen them. anybody actually listen to 'em? Are there comprehensive liner notes?

• I dont know if theres linernotes or a booklet included but postcards are. And beautiful ones!

Dress

• awallawall 673 Posts
    cashless - oddly enough i'm ripping that prince nico album RIGHT NOW.

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    THOMAS MAPFUMO is the mufuckin man. very unique... anything by him

Saw Mapfumo live once.
    That dude is like a shaman.
    Took me right outta my body.

Also saw King Sunny Ade in Hollywood.

That show was
    There was like 20 people playing on stage.

People were getting up on stage near the end and shoving money down his shirt.
    Does this kind of thing happen often at these shows?
    I had never seen it before.

Enjoy!*

*and send mp3's.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

I think throwing money on stage during a concert is an african custom as I've heard it done in the past and seen it after watching Konono #1....but putting it down dudes shirt....he musta been tearing shit up

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts

I think throwing money on stage during a concert is an african custom as I've heard it done in the past and seen it after watching Konono #1....but putting it down dudes shirt....he musta been tearing shit up

It was pretty fucking wild!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    THOMAS MAPFUMO is the mufuckin man. very unique... anything by him

My aunt took me to see him back in the day when I was a kid.

Yo Cashless, is it too late to call you?

Yo Cashless, is it too late to call you?

please call. I left a VM this morning.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah I just got a plane not too long ago. Lemme get my bearings call you in a few.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

I think throwing money on stage during a concert is an african custom

brilliant...

• awallawall 673 Posts

Enjoy!*

*and send mp3's.
    i made this link for cashless but figured i'd just give it to everyone. it's the whole album. good introduction to high life i suppose

Prince Nico Mbarga & Rocafil Jazz - Sweet Mother

holy shit this shit is some real shit

DAYUM!!!

I see your point.

• Options
    Andrew will be happy to know I know have WAV/MP3 capability.

See!

K.