Stark Reality's New High?

Manduro3000Manduro3000 265 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Seems like the current price for a decent copy of Stark Reality is slowly creeping towards a grand. Never thought $400 would seem like a steal.http://cgi.ebay.com/Stark-Reality-Hoagy-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    your.dog.gets.no.SR.hoagy.dogg

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    whew. I mean, the market is the market, but I just. don't. think. this is a $1000 record.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    SS factor?

SS factor?

Nah. Just a bunch of dudes gripping. I mean, this record turns up for sale more frequently than some records that go for 1/10 the price.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    monty factor?

• SoulmanSoulman 66 Posts
    SS factor?

it sold for over $1000 years before ss existed way before there was an internet digging community to "discover" it... not saying that was the going rate but it did sell for that much back then doggie

Ok..............Here i go...................

Iz it really that lava?

SS factor?

it sold for over $1000 years before ss existed way before there was an internet digging community to "discover" it... not saying that was the going rate but it did sell for that much back then doggie

I recall having the opportunity to buy for $350, at Carrarra's house back in the 90s... of course I was a broke student digger who couldn't afford such lavishness... but if it was going for a cool grand at roosevelt wouldn't a dude like JC want a bit more for it?

SS factor?

I recall having the opportunity to buy for $350, at Carrarra's house back in the 90s... of course I was a broke student digger who couldn't afford such lavishness... but if it was going for a cool grand at roosevelt wouldn't a dude like JC want a bit more for it?

there are only so many people gonna pay $1000 for any record. catch the right person at the right time and there it is bam another def jam. dealer knows a broke student digger ain't gonna pay but so much, but let some bigtime producer dude with deep pockets come up to the crib slobbering for that stark reality... price will change dramatically, get me? you know the game. reliable sources tell me a certain well known producer paid over $1000 for one copy and close to $1000 for another it is all a part of that roosevelt record show era folklore that is known to many real cats holla at a real cat

SS factor?

there are only so many people gonna pay $1000 for any record. catch the right person at the right time and there it is bam another def jam. dealer knows a broke student digger ain't gonna pay but so much, but let some bigtime producer dude with deep pockets come up to the crib slobbering for that stark reality... price will change dramatically, get me? you know the game. reliable sources tell me a certain well known producer paid over $1000 for one copy and close to $1000 for another it is all a part of that roosevelt record show era folklore that is known to many real cats holla at a real cat

Fo sho fo real

I always cursed myself cause I should've gotten with that student discount. Now I cry

• Stark Reality is one of my top favorites to listen to. I like the LP as a whole for its melodies, distorted singing and psych vibes, but I have strange tastes in music. I still don't think its a $1000 LP, that is unless the great Monty Stark himself delivers the LP to your door the very next day and offers to clean your house for free as you play the record.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Maybe this has been asked a million times, but how many SR were originally pressed?

I did a "search" but didn't find the answer.

Thanks.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    that is unless the great Monty Stark himself delivers the LP to your door the very next day and offers to clean your house for free jam along on the vibes as you play the record.

SS factor?

Fo sho fo real

I always cursed myself cause I should've gotten with that student discount. Now I cry

yup. i had some heavy offers for one of my copies of SR back in those days... none quite reaching $1000 but definitely well above $400. i think $750 was the highest offer i got. i just couldn't bear to part with it at ANY price though

SS factor?

Fo sho fo real

yup. i had some heavy offers for one of my copies of SR back in those days... none quite reaching $1000 but definitely well above $400. i think $750 was the highest offer i got. i just couldn't bear to part with it at ANY price though

Stark Reality is one of my top favorites to listen to.

How did you come across the lp?
    Was it by happenstance or you knew of its mystique previous to your purchase?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Iz it really that lava?

Debatable. I don't see the hype, thereby making it easy for me to sell mine. It seems to be that dudes are either wild about it or meh.

• montymonty 420 Posts
    SS factor?

Fo sho fo real

actually, i just inherited a mint copy - any offers? (not going to clean your house, though)

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    SS factor?

Fo sho fo real

actually, i just inherited a mint copy - any offers? (not going to clean your house, though)

You want my copy of East New York Ensemble of Music "At the Helm"? If not, I also have several babies of varying races/ethnicities that are up for grabs. And of course taxidermy.

• Stark Reality is one of my top favorites to listen to.

How did you come across the lp?
    Was it by happenstance or you knew of its mystique previous to your purchase?

I found out about Stark Reality at the Roosevelt Record Show in 1992, It was on this dealer's wall with a $300 price tag and headz just stood around it just looking at the LP in suspense (keep in mind, nobody at that time knew what the thing even sounded like... it was all by word of mouth). Saw it in a Goldmine magazine in 1995 for $400 but passed on it. In 1999 saw this guy from the Netherlands auction a mint copy on this record web site where I placed a bid and won the copy for $230. In 2004 I also brought the CD so I can play it in my car. I play the CD usually every 2 weeks (the LP is stashed somewhere in one of my crates).

• Iz it really that lava?

Debatable. I don't see the hype, thereby making it easy for me to sell mine. It seems to be that dudes are either wild about it or meh.

And many hate it for the lack of bongos.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I'll kilt you son!

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    oh yeah? well anyone want my copy of this? it's yours for $175
    http://cgi.ebay.com/TIM-BUCKLEY-STARSAIL...1QQcmdZViewItem

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    Saying jonny you need to be happy with your $120 lovelights lp and let the ballers ball.

That said although this raer is a collectors item to the fullest I have been quoting dudes around 1,000 for my copy and gotten a few laughs...

I also found mine in minnesota, same as where the seller is from, what's up monty you got a big following in the land of 10,000 lakes?

• dhrupickdhrupick 21 Posts

Not in N- condition.

• i got a stark reality in stock right now. NM/NM promo. $800. holla soulstrut playas.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Allow me to dickride for a second....

Stark the man is just as rad as Stark the record....

Is stark reality worth a grand? I dunno. I don't have that kind of money to spend on shit one way or the other. All I know is that record makes me happy just because they are singing about shit like whales and grandfather clocks and stuff. I just like to sing along to it.

I will tell you this though... If I ever came across one in the field the first thing I would do is give it to Monty.

The second thing I would do is make him sing the whale song for me.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    All I know is that record makes me happy just because they are singing about shit like whales and grandfather clocks and rocket ships[/b] and stuff.

• montymonty 420 Posts
    The second thing I would do is make him sing the whale song for me.

sorry, i can't hit those notes no mo.