eBay End Game

13»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

for the record eBay has not been a boon for my business. the cost of selling records and processing records is too high. i wish i could do more set sale business. by the time i am done paying eBay, Paypal, Marketworks, employees, operational expenses, dealing with returns and the occasional chargeback bullshit not only am I exhauseted but taxed.

it used to take 5 hours to sell 1000 records. now it takes 5 weeks.

oh how i long for the days of big sales out of the back of my truck at 6 in the morning.

eBay killed that, that's for sure. everyone grips and the Japanese and Europeans don't even bother to come by anymore.

ap

1) Now this is fascinating. And it actually does speak to one of my questions about how eBay has changed the record game.

2) Dude, roll up to the Bay with the truck. We'll turn out, cash in hand! (Ok, at least I will)

• anthonypearsonanthonypearson 2,442 Posts
    radical.

lets do this.

fuk an ebay.

who wants to set up a west coast record show? we could have music and performing acts and dj's and rekkids. a real cool show... not one of these beatles / elvis she bop be lu bop bullshit affairs.

lets do this...

• anthonypearsonanthonypearson 2,442 Posts

It's also totally infuriating because what a record is "worth" has been defined as Ebay price, which is really "what's the maximum this record can be sold for on this given day." If two guys get in a battle over 1 LP that hardly defines the price of that album.

what you have touched on right here is the most annoying shit in the universe.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

who wants to set up a west coast record show? we could have music and performing acts and dj's and rekkids. a real cool show... not one of these beatles / elvis she bop be lu bop bullshit affairs.

lets do this...

!!!

I AM DOWN to help make this happen. Who knows a fany huge venue with ramp access for us to cart records into? One that is hopefully well ventilated and well lit. Should it be timed around/before/after the Austin show?

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

for the record eBay has not been a boon for my business. the cost of selling records and processing records is too high. i wish i could do more set sale business. by the time i am done paying eBay, Paypal, Marketworks, employees, operational expenses, dealing with returns and the occasional chargeback bullshit not only am I exhauseted but taxed.

it used to take 5 hours to sell 1000 records. now it takes 5 weeks.

oh how i long for the days of big sales out of the back of my truck at 6 in the morning.

eBay killed that, that's for sure. everyone grips and the Japanese and Europeans don't even bother to come by anymore.

1) Now this is fascinating. And it actually does speak to one of my questions about how eBay has changed the record game.

2) Dude, roll up to the Bay with the truck. We'll turn out, cash in hand! (Ok, at least I will)

I think it's taken a while for ebay to get to where it is now in the collective conciousness of collectors. The supply & demand of records is related and complicated. It's not as simple as "ebay came around and messed it up". All us non-dealers are just armchair theorists on this with our anecdotal evidence. It's fun tho.

I'd submit one way that ebay has affected collectors is it exaggerates prices & rarity of collectables. The majority of people collections are composed of VG condition nina simone and Four Tops LPs. They'll be dissapointed listing their collections. Then you have a few "desirable" walbums worth serious $. Very few collections have a few of these in them. The cream. aka .00001% of all the records in the world. "Going rate" on these are determined by a select few taste-makers worldwide who basically set the price on unknown pieces. This is basically the same thing producers used to do by sampling LPs: expose a record to a new demographic. The difference between the desirable (expensive) and non desirable (cheap) is pretty drastic. Ebay's definitely created a few type of collector. New collectors who are exposed to buying music in this environment (versus just walking into a store where all records are $15) get their priorities really fucked up.

I'd fly to CA for a good record fair fa shore.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

PS: If anyone wants to sell me their copy of K-Dee - Ass, Cash, or Grass I will gladly pay you anywhere from $20-$60 based on condition. Thanks!

HELLO!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=307&item=4728967389&rd=1

WHOA

• wyzewayzwyzewayz 303 Posts
    I have bought a total of less than 12 records from Ebay, and have never sold on it....The most expensive record I bought was the Blackout lp at $33.

I enjoy looking at all the records on ebay, but I enjoy putting in the real life time, finding, and trading much more.........Now that I have some skrill in my bank though----I find that $100 ain't too much to worry about, hence the other post, if I have all these records on my wants list, which ones do I really want to pay $100 for, there are others that I would pay more for, but Ebay let's me decide instantly if I want a record badly enough----for example---I saw a record 7 years ago, never seen it since, and might not ever see it again---well, it's just a click and a 2 week wait away with ebay----------or, I've NEVER seen a record that I know I want, how badly do I want it?
    For me, I see everyone else bankin off Ebay, and I'm wondering if it's worth setting up a seller account, rather than just always having a trade pile and selling to people hand to hand.....

• KrautbreaksKrautbreaks 276 Posts
    and I'm wondering if it's worth setting up a seller account, rather than just always having a trade pile and selling to people hand to hand.....

It really still depends which country you live in.

But those things will change very soon. eBay alread got stuck and has decreasing sales in .DE (as I have read) and they are talking about a saturated (right word ? when you have eaten enough and hunger is away) market in .COM too!

A lot of dealers from countries like Peru, Poland, Brasil etc. do offer a shitload of untouched crazy bangers for cheap (compared to prices you once had to pay in .uk or .jp) so the "make money factor" will decrease a lot leaving some victims to the side (private people figuring they spend too much on stuff as well as people who dreamed of a business and got smashed to the wall).

I still can??t decide to fully quit or trying to move on in some way but I am pretty sure there will be some major changes to the whole record game within the next 5 years as there already are major changes to the income and employment structures of once rich nations like Germany.

Seb

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    No you're not the only fed up with the Bay Area!!

I'm 29. Been diggin since 14. I already sold the equivalent of what i bought probably. If it wasn't sold, it was traded. When sold, it was crates by crates. fuck-a-35$-for-my-leon-ware shit.

I never EVER used e-bay to purchase a vinyl...Can't fuck with that. Still can't. I need to TOUCH THE BITCH. I tried to sell, but it's way too nerdy for me. Gotta go thru too much shit for lil satisfaction, money-wise or diggin' wise.

Now i know some of y'all will flame me, arguing that they made thier living off of the Bay, that they found the greatest vinyls at low cost, well, that's cool. To each his own. But here's my point :

If you are ready to spend countless hours behind a fuckin screen to find some records, then why can't you spend the same time OUTSIDE doing the same thing...The Bay is responsible for people staying at home man!!!

People don't really go out for nothing nowadays. They wanna fuck online, buy records online, buy clothes online, put beats out online, soon they will want to everything online...This shit, buying records from your bedroom, it's worthless...

Owning good records is only good if :

a) you're a producer

b) you spin music for a living

c) you love music and you like to share this love with other people.

The Bay have created a new category :

d) you love music but you spend all your time buying and selling back so you don't have any time to really enjoy music, plus you don't produce, plus you don't spin, plus you don't go outside.

The result is clear : a generation of people will be reached by cancers and all types of illness due to a lack of socialization. The Bay is not Hip-Hop at all...The Bay will fuck yor life up if you step in...lol. Watch out for the Bay.

Let's kill the Bay and let's go back in stores damit!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    or maybe some people use e-bay and go out to buy records too

it happens, but it's not the common ground...you and i know that if this became the "phenomenon" it became, that is NOT because of rational people.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    while there are people who only buy records online, i would have to say that they are most likely a small percentage compared to the people who use ebay strictly for selling or finding a specific record. most of the people who only buy records online are probably going to sell all their shit in a few years anyway, so who cares.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    The Bay have created a new category :
    d) you love music but you spend all your time buying and selling back so you don't have any time to really enjoy music, plus you don't produce, plus you don't spin, plus you don't go outside.

Reynaldo and crink don't live in the bay, do they?????

naw, strutters do not apply...From what i've seen, most of them got a life, which is why this site is enjoyable. A lot of pics are being taken outside!!!LOL...conventions, road trips, that's life right here. Even tho' i just realized that a convention is a highly weird place afterall.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

I'm 29. Been diggin since 14. I already sold the equivalent of what i bought probably. If it wasn't sold, it was traded. When sold, it was crates by crates. fuck-a-35$-for-my-leon-ware shit.

I never EVER used e-bay to purchase a vinyl...Can't fuck with that. Still can't.
    In general, can you afford eBay prices?

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Even tho' i just realized that a convention is a highly weird place afterall.

Afford, well, i could care less about spending 400 for one record, believe me. The thing is i never spend that much for one record. I make a good living, so it's not about "afford"...I'm not down the with the whole system. I hate the fact that you have to bid too... I like to see a price, i like negociating with people. More than auctionning on the Bay...But to each his own, i don't wanna be rude to people using the Bay on regular basis.