"I'd Rather Be Blind, Crippled, and Crazy"

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    "Ace of Spade"

"I use my ace of clubs/to keep my baby in place"

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    8 Men, 4 Women

Lord, that's the jury of love.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    O.V.'s Bottom Line album on Hi is surprisingly solid, considering it's from 1977. No fake disco moves, it's all slow southern soul like he was known for. I'll even go so far as to put it in the same category as his classic Back Beat sides...in other words:

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    O.V.'s Bottom Line album on Hi is surprisingly solid, considering it's from 1977. No fake disco moves, it's all slow southern soul like he was known for. I'll even go so far as to put it in the same category as his classic Back Beat sides...in other words:

James has tried to sell me on this, and I haven't bitten yet. I'll captulate - at the right price.

JP - Did you go to the RD show? I had no ride.

O.V.'s Bottom Line album on Hi is surprisingly solid, considering it's from 1977. No fake disco moves, it's all slow southern soul like he was known for. I'll even go so far as to put it in the same category as his classic Back Beat sides

James has tried to sell me on this, and I haven't bitten yet. I'll captulate - at the right price.

It's still cheap as dirt, everytime I see it - don't wait for some UK reissue label to sell it back to you on CD! (I think Ace or Edsel or some such company has rereleased this in the digital domain...) And pick up Otis Clay's I Can't Take It while you're at it - the cover has a 1977 copyright, but I think this was all leftover sessions from '72-'73.

JP - Did you go to the RD show? I had no ride.

Just got back from it a half-hour ago. Found some good stuff that I might just post up on the next "Record Finds" thread. I'll probably tell you 'bout it if you show up at me and John's soul party tonite at the Hideout (1354 W. Wabansia, for those of you in the city who wanna dance to some prime soul/funk sounds). Saw Chris and Meatyogre there, unloading some stuff. Didn't see the guy who sells T-shirts with 1950's record label logos on them...too bad, my Specialty Records/Guitar Slim tee from last year is starting to wear itself out.

NO THREAD HIJACK HERE - O.V. Wright's "You're Gonna Make Me Cry" and "Gone For Good" show why he rivalled Otis Redding and Walter Jackson in the soul ballad department. Ol' boy tore shit up.

• "working your game"
    Co-sign! The flip as well. This is definitly his most solid single.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    "Ace of Spade"

lovin it, pops up on Delay's 2000 mix as well

• Options
    "Nickel and a Nail"

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    YES!!

O.V. was the man, pure & simple.

On the aforementioned "Bottom Line" LP, he does
    a fantastic version of Latimore's "Let's Straighten It Out"

One LP on Backbeat that can be copped for cheap
    is "Memphis Unlimited" - and every track is a killer,
    with a special mention on my part of "I'm Going Home" as a standout.

I have a thrashed OG copy of "Nucleus of Soul" that I play all the time,
    despite the snap, crackle & pop...

And pick up Otis Clay's I Can't Take Stand It while you're at it - the cover has a 1977 copyright, but I think this was all leftover sessions from '72-'73.

I have this LP, and I think you may be half right - some of the tracks
    sound like early 70's sessions circa the "Trying to Live My Life" LP -
    but others, like the remake of his One-Der-Ful hit "Got to Find a Way,"
    sound definitely like late-70's recordings, with synths and such...

• ja_bruceja_bruce 295 Posts
    On the aforementioned "Bottom Line" LP, he does
    a fantastic version of Latimore's "Let's Straighten It Out"

I was just gonna write that and then I saw you beat me to it.
    Personally, I really dont know much about the guy, I have a few of his songs, but I really like his style, I really like the intro to "We're still together" also.

Image hosting by Photobucket

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

I feel you I have always loved Ace of spades but had doubts.. and just today i stepped into the record store and saw bottom line.. listened to it i was trying to convince myself i did not need it but then flipped it and

The man is a raw singer and had great arrangements to back him

And pick up Otis Clay's I Can't Take Stand It while you're at it - the cover has a 1977 copyright, but I think this was all leftover sessions from '72-'73.

Nope, it's called I Can't TAKE It. Checked my own copy of it, I can hear the song of the same name in my mind, and I'd post a photo except I can't find any online pictures that are big enough.

I have this LP, and I think you may be half right - some of the tracks
    sound like early 70's sessions circa the "Trying to Live My Life" LP

I forget offhand which track, but I have at least one of the Can't Take It songs on an earlier Hi 45, released years before this LP came out.

but others, like the remake of his One-Der-Ful hit "Got to Find a Way,"
    sound definitely like late-70's recordings, with synths and such...

I wouldn't be surprised if those synths were dubbed in after the fact.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Nope, it's called I Can't TAKE It.

LOL

and I was just listening to this last night, could have sworn, but I pulled
    it out again and you are, as always, correct.

I wouldn't be surprised if those synths were dubbed in after the fact.

Possible, but the entire track, including his vocals, sounds different than
    the songs which seem like earlier 70's recordings. And, although I like most
    of the LP, that remake of "Got to Find a Way" is such a waste - the OG is
    an absolute killer track with no need of improvement.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    "Nickel and a Nail"
    co-shizzle

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    "Nickel and a Nail"
    co-shizzle

• awallawall 673 Posts
    love is a misunderstanding between two damn fools

• A personal fave...