Muddy Waters

TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
It's 3.30 in the AM here in Amsterdam.Im stoned and listening to Muddy Waters live. With Pine Top on piano. And Johnny Winter also does a solo somewhere on this album.Lets appreciate this guy.Whats you favorite Muddy track/album?I'll go with Long Distance Call with Buddy Guy on acoustic guitar. "Yeah, I feel like going down to florida, where the sunshine damn you every day" we dont do enough blues here on the strut.Lets talk some skip james, lightning hopkins, brownie mcgee and shit... Its the blues that got me into jazz... so appriciate batches..

Comments

• 'muddy, brass and the blues' is always sitting out for me. love 'black night.'

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    "Baby please don't go" This tracks kills me everytime.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Practically everything, I absolutely celebrate Muddy's entire catalog. Muddy at Newport & The Real Folk Blues are both sick albums, as is any compilation of his best Chess sides. Even that late 70s stuff with Johnny Winter is great.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    A random list:
    - Hard Again[/b], Muddy "Mississippi" Waters Live[/b], and King Bee[/b] (Muddy went out like a champ - those later elpees on the Blue Sky album hold up remarkably well. I hadn't heard them on the radio in a long time - at least not on blues shows - when Robert Gordon's Muddy bio came out a few years ago and made me go back and rediscover them; surprisingly fine)
    - McKinley Morganfield A/K/A Muddy Waters[/b]
    (the classic early stuff from before the white folks discovered him...the recordings that made his name in the 50's and early 60's...his music has been repackaged and reissued several times since, but this two-record set from the early 70's got it right...how can you improve on "Mannish Boy" or "I Just Want To Make Love To You" or "The Same Thing"?)
    - "Going Home"[/b]
    (mid-sixties single featuring a female chorus, an organ, and gospel chord changes - actually not that bad)
    - "Can't Get No Grindin'"[/b]
    (early-seventies single featuring what sounds like a harpsichord - actually not that bad)
    - "My Dog Can't Bark"[/b]
    - "Messin' With The Man"[/b]
    (Muddy answers Junior Wells'"Messin' With The Kid")

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "Yeah, I feel like going down to florida, where the sunshine damn you every day"

Uh-uh, buddy - Muddy clearly sings "...where the sun shine DAMN NEAR every day!!!"

• Whats that weird little "compact disc" stamp on the bottom left hand corner of that Muddy Waters record mean?

• Such a great record and dope insert of Muddy getting his Conk on.

I do love early sides as well, but Electric Mud has always been one of my favorite records.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Such a great record and dope insert of Muddy getting his Conk on.

I do love early sides as well, but Electric Mud has always been one of my favorite records.

I like the other LP on Cadet Concept, "After the Rain," a little
    better. "Electric Mud" always sounded a little bit too much like a
    train wreck to me - I mean, I do like it, don't get me wrong - but
    "After the Rain" uses the same players with a little more restraint,
    and comes off IMO as a much better Muddy-plays-with-the-acid-rockers
    album. Personally I think the Howlin' Wolf LP on CC beats 'em both...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Great lp, his last lp on Chess.
    IMO as a much better Muddy-plays-with-the-acid-rockers album.

Best of Muddy Waters has his first 12 Chicago sides and is essential. (or you could get the AKA lp that Pickwick mentioned.)

Field recordings from Mississippi with a young Muddy on acoustic guitar.
    I Can't Be Satisfied is the cut.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

Great lp, his last lp on Chess.
    IMO as a much better Muddy-plays-with-the-acid-rockers album.

never seen this before, are you saying this has the same vibe as Electric Mud & After The Rain?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    No. Very different vibe.

Bass, Guitar ??? Fred Carter
    Drums, Bass ??? Levon Helm
    Guitar ??? Bob Margolin
    Harmonica ??? Paul Butterfield
    Organ, Accordion, Saxophone ??? Garth Hudson
    Piano ??? Pinetop Perkins*
    Producer ??? Henry Glover
    Saxophone ??? Howard Johnson (3)
    Vocals, Guitar ??? Muddy Waters

Helm and Hudson are from The Band. Bob Margolin and Pinetop Perkins are from Muddy's band. Fred Carter is country guitarist who worked with Dale Hawkins, then in Nashville before becoming part of the Woodstock scene. Howard Johnson was the go to horn player for lots of rock bands. Paul Butterfield is Paul Butterfield.

The sessions have a laid back lets jam vibe. But the songs are shortish and concise. Most important, Muddy is very much in charge. Bonus trivia, there are 2 Louis Jordan standards.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Unk In Funk is really good. Especially the title track.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    Du Bas, there is a nice blues-record store in de Emmastraat.dude does open up when ever he feels like i believe but def worth checking out on the weekend.