Kev Brown Appreciation Post

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
REAL SCHITT ALERT!I bought "The Kev Brown Mixtape" about 2 months ago and it keeps getting put back into the cd player. I always knew dude was nice, but after listening to like 40+ tracks of his beats I realized dude has made some of fav. kufi-slaps of the past few years. Plus dude is real clean on the mic, in a "hey i'm a producer but I rap all lazy and non-chalanat" type of way. Plus there's this underlying sad and depressed soulfull feel to his beats and raps, which is real interesting to me and makes it easier to relate to.carry on...that is all.I didn't know dude pretty much did all the beats for this LP

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

• I don't need pics of your "MON-THURS" garb, Tariq.

I don't need pics of your "MON-THURS" garb, Tariq.

• I know only one track by him and I'm slightly obessed with it, "Say Sumthin'".

Any chance of you uppin' some others that you deem ?

• The sweater vest callin' the kufi "woven"?

If Kev Brown did even half the beats on that JJ album, then he's a genius. Did he do "Rock Wit U," "Love For Da Game" or "How I Do"? 'Cause those are beautiful.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Plus there's this underlying sad and depressed soulfull feel to his beats and raps, which is real interesting to me and makes it easier to relate to.[/b]

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    "The Kev Brown Mixtape"

sayin..yet a young kufi enthusiastic bol hollur at a dub.

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    The Brown Album Jay-Z tape he did a while ago was pretty cool though.

I assume it contained the brown noise in every song.

• Ehhh..
    I was feeling his beats on The Magnificent LP, but his own LP got real tired real quick. All of the tracks sound super boring to me after more than one listen. He kind of needs to put down the mic too.

The Brown Album Jay-Z tape he did a while ago was pretty cool though.

word word...well it keeping it soulstrut related, I have to hate and mention he does seem to get his kenny burrell/wes montgomery guitar orgy on.

I haven't heard the album, but the mixtape alone is fucking

genius

The sweater vest callin' the kufi "woven"?

I resent that. I've never worn a sweater vest.

(well, at least not in the last ten years)

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• FSNSFSNS 163 Posts
    Caught him w/ LB in D.C. Excellent Performer, PMD backin him on the tables...KILLIN IT....

• The sweater vest callin' the kufi "woven"?

If Kev Brown did even half the beats on that JJ album, then he's a genius. Did he do "Rock Wit U," "Love For Da Game" or "How I Do"? 'Cause those are beautiful.

yes he did-ed (i'm pretty sure every banger on that LP is by Kev). he also did that Biz Markie joint "Games". There's even a un-released track with Jewel on it (the beat is nice, Jewell blows..)

Stoned Soul:

Without a hint of exageration, "Rock with you" by Eric Roberson is some "top 5 ofall time shit" with me.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    i really think he made Jay-z sound 10 times better on the Brown Album. Jay lyrics finally sounded meaningful to me, and the beats were just silly good. didn;t like what I heard of the Lp though..anyone have a track i should hear to change my mind? LOVED Rock With U though, and didn't know that was his. Cool...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Damn, you guys are late. I spoke on (and propped) Kev on here forever ago. Some of y'all need to stop listening to that bullshit, and get with the real. Fuck what ya heard!!! Oh yeah, co-sign on the overuse of guitar chops on his solo album, but the work on "The Magnificient" and "What Ruling Means" (off the Marley Marl Beat Generation LP) was bangin'.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Please report "Rock with you" to the "go home and make love" thread at once!

Erro is even killing some of the house tracks I got him on.

• Please report "Rock with you" to the "go home and make love" thread at once!

Erro is even killing some of the house tracks I got him on.

dude...the rock with you "Yoruba" remix? OUT OF CONTROL...

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    then you might like erro's "don't change" produced by osunlade on yoruba records. Tis was the track that put him on the map.

• then you might like erro's "don't change" produced by osunlade on yoruba records. Tis was the track that put him on the map.

is there anything you don't know about?

• is there anything you don't know about?

Personal computers and cheap eats.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

and Japanese music and cooking and denim stitching and...

• dayday 9,612 Posts

and Japanese music and cooking and denim stitching and...

and High Heels and Russian Bath Houses and...

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    then you might like erro's "don't change" produced by osunlade on yoruba records. Tis was the track that put him on the map.

I'm not a house dude but Osunlade got that fire. He did a remake of a Prince song "For You"??? that was really crazy at Red Bull. Should have got a copy.

• then you might like erro's "don't change" produced by osunlade on yoruba records. Tis was the track that put him on the map.

I'm not a house dude but Osunlade got that fire. He did a remake of a Prince song "For You"??? that was really crazy at Red Bull. Should have got a copy.

that's on the new REWIND #5 on ubiquity. I just got that sampler this week and that is the hottest track on there by far.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    and eyebrows and 14 gauge cashmere

teehee

For the non house lovers, osunlade worked on musiq's first lecord. Mainly a really dope cover of Patrice Rushen "Settle For My Love".

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    That grap luva track was also great I was obssesed with Love of the game when it came out. Dude is a great producer. Even has love for him. I really want to hear that Rock with you track

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    "Charmed Life" instrumental off of The Magnificent =

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    he also did that Biz Markie joint "Games".
    didn't know that. that's dope.

I've been checkin' out his "Fresh Brownies" and "Beat Society" instrumentals. quality stuff.

• Stoned Soul:

Without a hint of exageration, "Rock with you" by Eric Roberson is some "top 5 ofall time shit" with me.

Thx, will be lookin out for that...

Unless you wanna up it?