Comments

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i appreciate him very much.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I heart this a lot

• leolyxxxleolyxxx 446 Posts
    Massive cosign!

I love the track "makin' love" on Columbia very much at the moment (it also has some african title that i can't remember..).

Ramsey Rules!

/L

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    My dad apprecited him, I appreciate him, my son/daughter will appreciate him. One of the big dudes. People tend to underrate him, just because his records aren't rare or anything...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    anyone got a scan of the ramsey lewis dust sleeve that has all his earlier albums on it?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Ramsey sons raer, batches!

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Yes!

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Ramsey sons raer, batches!

• people cannot front on this dude...! how many albums did he have, and that were good all the way through? personally, i'm into the mellow mellow...

and his cover of "slippin' into darkness" (forget the album name) is very nice.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I  Ramsey.

Lonely Avenue is one my all-time favourite songs as are about 20 more by him and what's not to love about that smile?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I drank champagne with that foll one night. He was a nice guy. We talked about all his Cadet records. Ramsey Lewis recorded A LOT of records back in the day. They would just go in the studio and cut an album in one day! He was doing a show with Dr. Billy Talyor, two of them on two pianos at the same time. Shit was dope.

• "The Piano Player" and "Sun Goddess" get constant play on my deck.

Respect due.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Ramsey Rules! Sun Goddess is an all-time classic, and just one of his all-time classics.

• jazzman21jazzman21 287 Posts
    Ramsey Rules! Sun Goddess is an all-time classic, and just one of his all-time classics.

Hot Dawgit!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I'm not as big a fan as others here - Ramsey had his moments - but IF HE DIDN'T DO ONE OF THE BETTER VERSIONS OF "HANG ON SLOOPY" THEN GRITS AREN'T GROCERIES. I mean, when that drunk-sounding live audience starts singing (HOLLERING!) the title when the chorus comes around, it sounds like the damn building is about to explode! That, my friend, is The Part Of The Song That Just Kills Me! I mean, the Vibrations and the McCoys did amazing versions as well, but Ramsey definitely added a little something to the table here! Then he had the nerve to do a funked-up remake in the 70's on Columbia that was just as good!

Never properly met the man, although I have seen him around Chicago from time to time (I used to work in the same building as his office - by then, it had moved from the address shown on that fan club photo.)

"HAAAANG ON SLOOPY - SLOOPY, HANG ON!"[/b]

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Gotta go, but I had to say

I LURB RAMSEY[/b]

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I'm not as big a fan as others here - Ramsey had his moments - but IF HE DIDN'T DO ONE OF THE BETTER VERSIONS OF "HANG ON SLOOPY" THEN GRITS AREN'T GROCERIES. I mean, when that drunk-sounding live audience starts singing (HOLLERING!) the title when the chorus comes around, it sounds like the damn building is about to explode! That, my friend, is The Part Of The Song That Just Kills Me! I mean, the Vibrations and the McCoys did amazing versions as well, but Ramsey definitely added a little something to the table here! Then he had the nerve to do a funked-up remake in the 70's on Columbia that was just as good!

Never properly met the man, although I have seen him around Chicago from time to time (I used to work in the same building as his office - by then, it had moved from the address shown on that fan club photo.)

"HAAAANG ON SLOOPY - SLOOPY, HANG ON!"[/b]

this post is a lovely, almost perfect SStrut moment.

personal, opinionated, informative, joyous, play-by-play of a song and ends with a sing-a-long.

yes!

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    well done appreciation post!

self-taken photos=bonus.

There's one LP of his that is IMPOSSIBLE to find, at least with the cover that it's given in a Cadet inner sleeve (Chris, help me out here). It just has woods on the front.

Ramsey is cool though. Upendo Mi Pamoja was one of the first albums I bought when I started diggin for da waxx. I think that still remains my favorite, though Another Voyage + Funky Serenity are close in rankings. And his take on Les Fleur got me into all that sissy shit. I thoroughly enjoy my "Do What You Wanna" acetate, but in the digital domain now. (I do not wear out delicates nor do I stack records, but yes I keep them after I digitize).

Anyhow, to me, Ramsey Lewis will always be the sound of Chicago in my private mind garden.

• I heart this a lot

cosignnnnnnnnn

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Ramsey Lewis is the man.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

spider-funk

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

You, sir, are echoing one of my long held beliefs. The Ramsey Lewis Hang on Sloopy is one of the songs my wife and I put on our wedding mixtape CD that we handed out to guests. Just add David Porter to the list with the Vibrations and the McCoys and you have a complete accounting.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

spider-funk

YES!!!
    nobody ever seems to mention this one when ramsey appreciations coem up.. love this record

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    dude put out a ton of records too, there was a point in his career where he must have been churning out about 4-5 albums a year.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    There needs to be a coffeetable book of Chess Records cover art just like there was with Blue Note. DON BRONSTEIN, REST IN PEACE!!!!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    A Chess (and related) cover art book would be awesome.

• HUGE Ramsey fan(im allll about the jazzfunk) i totally agree that he is often underestimated because his albums arent rare. im always listening to Upendo Ni Pamoja,Funky Serenity,Sun Goddess,Maiden Voyage,and others im forgetting right now. much respect.