My Name is Albert Ayler

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I have recommended this on several occasions here. Saw it at a filmfestival back in november. Swedish director and avid Ayler-fan Kasper Collin did a great job. Interviews with Sunny Murray, Gary Peacock, Ayler's dad and little brother Don Ayler who has suffered from mental illness for many years, partly due to standing in Albert's shadow ever since he played with him in the sixties.

• I've had it recommended by several friends who have seen it. Can't find it in any
    of the (swedish) stores that usually buy DVDs from. Where can I find it? Where
    did you get your copy m_dejean?

• yeah i saw this a while back. i really can't wait to see it. i'll be excited when the site starts selling dvd's!

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    oh this is old news!?

i thought this was going to get released in the theaters like the townes van zandt doc!

• oh this is old news!?

I don't think so. I heard about it a month ago or something like that. I haven't
    seen a post about on any of the boards..

Looking forward to see this!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Shit, I was just listening to New Grass on the way into work today. I need to see this.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I tried finding it several times. Hopefully it will play some place close...and some time this year.

• Well, the movie premiered at the 2005 Gothenburg film festival just a day or so after it's completion (this was over a year ago, in january 2005). Since then it's been showing at a few selected theaters here in Sweden (and perhaps in other european countries?). I spoke briefly to Kasper Collin after seeing the movie and he came across as a nice enough guy. He was a fan of "noise-rock" bands (or whatever the kids call it) like Sonic Youth and got into Ayler after hearing those bands championing his music. Glad to see his film made it to the USA.

Personally, I wasn't as blown away as the critics. But a decent effort and worth seeing if you??re an Ayler fan.

oh this is old news!?

i thought this was going to get released in the theaters like the townes van zandt doc!

No, not old. The film is from 2005, but apparently there hasn't been that many showings of it, and I don't think there is any DVD of it yet. I saw it at the CPH:DOX filmfestival in Copenhagen. Kasper Collin was there to introduce the film and answer questions afterwards.

As far as I remember he said that it had been shown at some festival in the US just prior to that, but I doubt that the distribution is really extensive. In reality it seems like it's a one-man venture from Kasper Collin, and I got the feeling that his funds were low, so the chance of a DVD release might be slim. People should write their local film festival arrangers and suggest it for their program.

Jspr -> They showed Brother Yusef on the same occasion. Just footage of 90-year old Yusef in his home, speaking, reading his poetry, playing his saxes and flutes. Very calm and spiritual, both man and film. Some might find it slow-moving and too pensive, but I liked it.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts

For Londoners or those passing thru- this is playing at the ICA April 18th, Q&A afterwards and then Four Tet on the decks at the bar. That bar is slick too....

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    I can not tell you how badly I want to see this.Personally I think it'd be a real tragedy if this didn't come out on DVD at some point.I wonder how many people have actually seen this so far.Whatever the number it's not enough.To think that only a small group of people in a handful of cities worldwide will get to see this is just wrong!. I will certainly be calling theatres,distributors and the like to see what's up.Damn,damn,damn...I'm ACHING to see this.

• another case of american musicians being overlooked in the own country, while having documentaries made on them in europe. and the documentaries aren't even available in america. the irony...

I DON'T LIKE THIS DEVELOPMENT.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    another case of american musicians being overlooked in the own country,

Same ole' Same ole'

JOSEPHINE BAKER, etc....

another case of american musicians being overlooked in the own country, while having documentaries made on them in europe. and the documentaries aren't even available in america. the irony...

Adding to the irony, one of the themes in the film is the contrast between the reverence he enjoyed while living and performing in Sweden and Denmark in the early sixties, and the lack of recognition he received upon returning to the US.

Coltrane got him signed to Impulse i '66, but his records didn't really sell and the r'n'b influence on the last two albums were probably a result of some degree of disillusion on his part. Unlike most of the hardline Ayler fans, I enjoy stuff like "New Grass", but I get the impression that the more free material - "energy music", as he called it - was where his heart was really at.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    Unlike most of the hardline Ayler fans, I enjoy stuff like "New Grass", but I get the impression that the more free material - "energy music", as he called it - was where his heart was really at.

----See I don't know, I like "New Grass" too, as a dj it's hard not to, with Purdie and all. I think he knew they were two sides of the same coin, that the New Orleans style military bands that he came up in were just as weird and suitable for exploration as the "free"er stuff. It was more a product of fans and critics getting stuck on an aesthetic of authenticity,, similar to the way a lot of so called "Hip Hop purists" stuck on Paul C might not get E-40. I mean for instance Ayler did vocal jazz on things like "Oh Love of Life" other non-"crossover" records when it was pretty uncool to do vocal jazz among the purists.

At any rate as an artist, you gotta have range. Can't eat the same meal everyday. No matter how good...

True. I love "New Grass" and I think his soul is still very evident on it. I'm just saying that I think there was a certain amount of pressure from Impulse to do something a little more accesible than earlier. Plus his girlfriend Mary Parks (who sings on the album) seems to have had some influence on his direction as well.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts

I hear you, I totally agree. My point was only that some artists write manifestos, delineating what's cool and what's not. In the case of Ayler,, I don't think he did that, I think the fan-critics created a dogma about what "real jazz" was.. he was just playing.

Did anyone catch the Cecil Taylor doc that was on Comcast "on demand" recently? It was . Interesting but not facemelting like I thought it would be.It was mostly Taylor speeking about his music,his methods and random rants.He comes off as a rather colorful character.I always pictured him being a lot more grumpy and surly.The segments where he describes and shows how he arranges his music on paper was rather mindblowing however,just incredibly complex.I'd prefer a more historical,chronological doc on Taylor,but whatever. A documentary about Don Cherry would be nice too.

• another case of american musicians being overlooked in the own country, while having documentaries made on them in europe. and the documentaries aren't even available in america. the irony...

Adding to the irony, one of the themes in the film is the contrast between the reverence he enjoyed while living and performing in Sweden and Denmark in the early sixties, and the lack of recognition he received upon returning to the US.

Coltrane got him signed to Impulse i '66, but his records didn't really sell and the r'n'b influence on the last two albums were probably a result of some degree of disillusion on his part. Unlike most of the hardline Ayler fans, I enjoy stuff like "New Grass", but I get the impression that the more free material - "energy music", as he called it - was where his heart was really at.
    so many american jazz musicians spoke of the same thing. miles always said how he was treated like royalty in europe, but once it was "back to NY", it was smoke filled rat-hole clubs for days with little pay.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    that's why so many of them moved to Europe and never came back...can't say i blame them.