Slump & Grind 2 in Chicago Tribune?

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
'Fess up: which one of you ChiStrutters is behind this?http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/chi-0603030179mar03,1,2207536.story?coll=chi-ent_music-hed

Comments

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    The Chicago Record Mafia runs deep...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    'Fess up: which one of you ChiStrutters is behind this?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/chi-0603030179mar03,1,2207536.story?coll=chi-ent_music-hed

I think that's David from somanyshrimp.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I don't know who the writer is, but that review kinda encapsulates everything that is awkward and uneasy about the Tribune's hip-hop coverage, where the "general sense of the locale's best rap music" lies down with the "banger." Some Tribune writer once described a weird parking method--like, dude took up three spaces and employed lawn chairs and handwritten signs and shit (locals will recognize this as "dibs")--as a "hip-hop park job." Growing pains like Kirk Cameron over by there, I'm telling you.

Irregardless, congratulations to Misters Mention, Cause and Hogg.

p.s. - Even if it's not for serious, the phrase "Chicago Record Mafia" is irredeemably wack, encompassing as it does a level of self-regard sufficient to get one cited for Conduct Unbecoming a Midwesterner. Please cease and desist.

CAN YOU HANG WITH THE GANG?

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    parking method--like, dude took up three spaces and employed lawn chairs and handwritten signs

This shit.
    Do they do this in any other city?

• parking method--like, dude took up three spaces and employed lawn chairs and handwritten signs

This shit.

You would be murdered if you tried that in SF. And your killer would be pardoned.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    parking method--like, dude took up three spaces and employed lawn chairs and handwritten signs

This shit.

You would be murdered if you tried that in SF. And your killer would be pardoned.

It would be the one thing every single person in the city would be in total agreement about.

This shit.

Forgot the crucial element: SNOW.
    There is no snow in San Francisco,
    thus no digging your car out of a four-foot snow bank.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

This shit.

This is the truth - while I've never tried driving in the chi, after snowstorms here dudes will park their cars at 45 degree angles from the curb so as to be able to get back out of the space when they leave

Although there are plenty of old Jewish and Italian men who are known to park across two or three spaces "so's that some friggin moolie won't scratch my paint."

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

This shit.

In philly and especially manayunk people get crazy protecting their parking spots. Many fights and extream acts of violence have been carried out over a parking spot in manayunk after a snow storm.

A few observations about "hip-hop parking":

-- I've seen dudes use boxes, chairs, ladders, bottles, lamps,
    milk crates, tires and much other flotsam to "reserve" their space.

-- The weakest shit I ever saw was somebody who put an EXTENSION CORD
    down on the pavement to secure his "choice" spot on Greenview.

-- Weak reaches its zenith when the snow has completely melted
    and dude's are STILL MARKING THE SPOTS.

We had a mini-van vandalized by some chump one winter when I parked in a
    cleared-out, but unmarked, spot on my block. Lovely.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

This shit.

A couple years ago, someone got shot in Chicago after they took a "reserved" spot.

The Tribune has horrible hip-hop coverage. It's gotten a little better. But it's still terrible.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I had a guy try to fight my car once because he was standing in a space, waiting for the car to come back around the block. I started backing into the space, and he charged my car. I really had half a mind to keep backing up!

This guy was, predictably, of the following variety:

• chrischris 287 Posts

and to seal the fate, mayor daley actually sanctions this activity.

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts

This shit.

In philly and especially manayunk people get crazy protecting their parking spots. Many fights and extream acts of violence have been carried out over a parking spot in manayunk after a snow storm.

People in Philly literally kill each other for spots.I remember an incident where dude shot and killed someone over a parking spot in SW Philly.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I had a guy try to fight my car once because he was standing in a space, waiting for the car to come back around the block. I started backing into the space, and he charged my car. I really had half a mind to keep backing up!

Hahahahah!

I'm thinkin let the dude fight the car, let's see what happens~!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

hoes aint trippin on me, they wanna fight my car

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Was that taken in Good Records?

• TSGTSG 274 Posts

THE WEAKEST FLOTSAM I'VE SEEN IS A DOLL THAT LOOKED LIKE A REAL BABY AT FIRST...

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    We live real close to a stadium, and in cricket/AFL season's there is no way anybody is gonna get street parking in front of our place. We tried putting wheelie bins (stateside strutters see below) in the space so friends could actually get to our house, but people just moved them.

So my brother and i did the same thing, but this time we hid in the bins, and when people went to move them we jumped out baraging them with accusations. It was funny until my brother got punched in the face by like a 60 year old man, and some bitch rammed my bin with a Barina. Man i wish we got that shit on tape.