Help: Internship Guidance and Direction

MassiveMassive 194 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Greetings Soul Strutters:It's been a long time since I've posted. Currently, I'm in law school and looking for an internship in the music business. Music is life and my life is music. I live in San Antonio, Texas and I was just curious if anyone had any helpful tips or information in obtaining an internship over the summer. I'm more than willing to travel if the opportunity merits such a consideration. Tryin' to get my grown man on here and set the crates down for awhile. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Peace out.

Comments

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

Tryin' to get my grown man on here and set the crates down for awhile.

Not mutually exclusive, son!!

How's it goin, mayne, law school kicking your ass or what?

• MassiveMassive 194 Posts
    Hah!

What up bro?!?

I thought for sure you bailed this city. As far as law school, it is what it is..

Still at the F&J or what? Zen bar on the weekends still?

pm me your digits bro.

Holla.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Still at F&J, but I'm at the DC office now, I moved about 6 months ago.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    what kind of job do you hope to get? from what i know, working in the business side of music has hardly anything to do with music! it's about trying to make money off musicians...might as well be any business job.

and since you are majoring in law...you have so many opportunities to make real money following other paths, but i'm sure you already know that.

the only way to make any money at all in the music business is to either work for a major label, own a label that has a successful artist, etc. there's just not much money in the music industry these days.

i work at a recording studio that does good business so i'm lucky but most artists just don't have money to record...and they usually do it themselves at home...and probably not that well but that's a different story.

i'm not trying to scare you or change your mind on what to do with your life, just saying that many aspects of the music biz just aren't that appealing once you really see them up close.

that said there are plenty of cool record labels out there that treat their artists well and probably even pay their employees...and there are also PR-type firms that work strictly with indie artists...however there are tons of people that want to work for each and every one of these businesses and they are usually expected to intern for who knows how long...and they can just keep getting new interns rather than actually hire anybody. having an internship is scary because you aren't sure that your free work will actually lead to a paying job...lucky for me it did. hopefully for you it will too!

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    What's with half of soulstrut being in law school?

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Only the one's old enough to enjoy the wisdom of the ages...