Do Brothers Do It Better???

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
I'm fascinated by bands that have brothers(or sisters) as members. I've found that many times when it's two brothers they usually are the backbone of the band ala drums and bass. But it's those bands that have 3 or more family members that seem to have a special feel, an inbred "tightness" that is probably the result of having grown up together, practicing at hours on end.....or maybe it's just a "music gene" that allows these musicians to reach levels that unrelated folks have a hard time reaching??Sure there are the obvious "pop" bands like Osmonds, Hansen and others who don't necessarily conjur thoughts of musical genius, but in the obscure rock/psych world there are lots of examples of brotherly genius.Is this also found in the Funk/Soul world?? Or is my theory that brothers tend to make "special" music just a crock of shit??

Comments

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    What about the sista's?!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    J5!?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    What about the sista's?!

Absolutely!!!!!!!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

IMG SRC="http://www.kser.org/shows/dusties/photosa-m/stairsteps.jpg" width=300>
    http://www.ready-steady-go.org.uk/isley-1.jpg" alt="" />
    http://classic.motown.com/images/local/umgartists/8394c9d0-f118-4d5d-87b4-b30afca20ce5.jpg" alt="" />

What about the sista's?!
    Absolutely!!!!!!!

Haha, I was at first going to add the Shaggs, but I thought people might think I'm being ironic.

What about the sista's?!
    Absolutely!!!!!!!

Haha, I was at first going to add the Shaggs, but I thought people might think I'm being ironic.

That's one of the flaws of communicating on the Internet.....you can't convey sarcasm or irony very well.

The Shaggs fall into the "It's so far out there it's genius" category

What about the sista's?!
    Absolutely!!!!!!!

That's one of the flaws of communicating on the Internet.....you can't convey sarcasm or irony very well.

The Shaggs fall into the "It's so far out there it's genius" category
    Totally. I thoroughly enjoy every Shaggs listen I've ever had (I lost the CD I had of theirs in transit).

• But it's those bands that have 3 or more family members that seem to have a special feel, an inbred "tightness" that is probably the result of having grown up together, practicing at hours on end.....or maybe it's just a "music gene" that allows these musicians to reach levels that unrelated folks have a hard time reaching??

Maybe its obvious, but this is so true in terms of voice...

Just as my Mother sometimes has trouble differentiating between my Brother and I on the phone, I think the vocal similiarities among siblings can allow for enhanced harmonies and blending.

But it's those bands that have 3 or more family members that seem to have a special feel, an inbred "tightness" that is probably the result of having grown up together, practicing at hours on end.....or maybe it's just a "music gene" that allows these musicians to reach levels that unrelated folks have a hard time reaching??

Maybe its obvious, but this is so true in terms of voice...

Just as my Mother sometimes has trouble differentiating between my Brother and I on the phone, I think the vocal similiarities among siblings can allow for enhanced harmonies and blending.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Um...

• inbred "tightness"
    Well, these ladies could sure carry a tune...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Can we give it up for some fakeass brothers.

My favorite sibling groups:

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Maurice White

Verdine White

+ lil' bro freddie on the drums from '75 and on. Couldn't find a pic of him.

• girgir 329 Posts

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    To paraphrase Gil Scott-Heron,
    LET ME SEE SOME ID[/b]
    LET ME SEE SOME ID[/b]
    (hate to sound like a bouncer in a sleazy nightclub, but...)

These are the Knight Brothers, famed for their intense 1965 hit, "Temptation 'Bout To Get Me."

(I'm a fan of these guys too, but they are WAY too obscure to print their photo without some identification.)

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I think the vocal similiarities among siblings can allow for enhanced harmonies and blending.

• Can we give it up for some fakeass brothers.

Uhhhh...the guys second and third from the left are actual brothers....

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    YES.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    What about the sista's?!

Since we've strayed somewhat form soul and funk, I'll say Wendy and Bonnie, and The Sound of Feeling sisters.
    I've had Wendy and Bonnie's "By the Sea" stuck in my head all morning, such a beautiful song.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    What about the sista's?!

Since we've strayed somewhat form soul and funk, I'll say Wendy and Bonnie, and The Sound of Feeling sisters.
    I've had Wendy and Bonnie's "By the Sea" stuck in my head all morning, such a beautiful song.

Cosign on that listening to Genesis and seeing how young they were at the time I always imagine them practising together in some distant prairy...

Here in quebec we have a similar sibling folk duo

Les Seguin (Richard being the most famous)
    They had super interesting multi pitch vocal mixes

I really do agree with the on similar voices theory. Being in a professional choir for 10 years there was a family of 5 brothers (including 2 twins) when they would sing together it was

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Good Lord I can't believe I forgot the Staples. Their Columbia catalog is on lock in my household right now.