Paid for 1st Class ship, got Media Mail (EBay-Rel)

SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
OK e-Diggers:Anyone ever got charged/paid for Insured First Class shipping of an item, only to have said item shipped w/o insurance via Media Mail? Since the difference in price between the 2 services is so small (~$2.50), I feel like a herb for making a big deal about it. However, the principal of the matter pisses me off. Has anyone ever been in a similar situation and successfully obtained a refund for the difference? SG

Comments

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    I let it go unless the record gets fucked up along the way. But I also make sure I don't deal with them ever again unless they're posting pure heat.

• this pisses me off as well and has happened a few times, i usually email the seller and explain the situation and either ask for a refund or free shipping on my next order, what i don't understand though is when this happens with 45's, first class is usually the same price if not cheaper than media rate

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    I just always ask to verify the method of shipment and costs to make sure especially if they offer several options. Ive also mentioned it to a seller after the fact and they gladly refunded a couple bucks to my paypal account when I was displeased. I dont know about dudes that are charging 7-9 for US postage and shipping media..that is shady as shady could be. The rates on everything went up not to long ago..but you should still be able to get media mail shipping for around 5 bucks regardless. IMO

• mallardmallard 452 Posts
    I just always ask to verify the method of shipment and costs to make sure especially if they offer several options. Ive also mentioned it to a seller after the fact and they gladly refunded a couple bucks to my paypal account when I was displeased. I dont know about dudes that are charging 7-9 for US postage and shipping media..that is shady as shady could be. The rates on everything went up not to long ago..but you should still be able to get media mail shipping for around 5 bucks regardless. IMO

the most media mail has ever cost me is $4 i think. $5 is completely absurd, especially as your flat-rate. i also have beef with the $1 for every additional LP (including 2LP's) scam. yer getting ripped off peoples!!

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

Thanks to everyone who's lent an ear to my complaint and let me vent. Actually, the item has yet to arrive at my doorstep! I was informed of the service used to ship the item directly by the Post Office after calling them (the PO) up to find out why my package, supposedly sent via 1st class mail, was taking so long to arrive (to the seller's credit, I was provided with a tracking number).

Here's the kicker: the seller confirmed in numerous email exchanges earlier in the week that the item was indeed shipped via 1st class, insured mail...so dude either made an honest mistake and cannot keep track of the items leaving his shop, or is caught in a big fuckin' lie.

I'll probably let it go if the item arrives in 1 piece AS DESCRIBED (absolutely no quarter spared for inaccurate grading in this case), but I'm definitely not dealing with the guy again. To be continued....

SG

• [reynaldo]Don't knock the hustle b/w you sound working class[/reynaldo]

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Yeah Media Mail is $2.65, the box costs me anywhere from 70 cents to a dollar depending on how many I can afford to buy. Add in delivery confirmation, my time, shipping supplies and gas to get to the post office not to mention paypal fees... I'm losing money charging less than 4 bucks.

Some guys who are selling thousands of records every month can afford to charge less for shipping because they buy more boxes at a better rate, use turbo lister to save time and might have an assitant they are paying to put together boxes , print shipping labels etc.. etc.. And Most important thier overhead is lower. Some people forget the handling part of 'shipping and handling' it didnt just list itself onto and ebay, magically get put in box and walk itself over to the post office.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    [reynaldo]Don't knock the hustle b/w you sound working class[/reynaldo]

ZING!

SG

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    When corresponding with the seller, I always add a little blurb like "yeah the post office here is rough with packages" or "glad you offer priority mail, cause media mail gets lost where I live". Sounds stupid, but I've never had a problem when I said those things.

• If you pay for first class. That is what you should get. Sometimes media can take weeks to deliver. Depending on how forgiving you are I would say the approprate action is to 1. call them on it, and see what they say. 2. possibly, don't leave feedback or leave neutral. and 3. get that 3 bucks back.
    that is exactly what happened to me. (Love Sex and the Zodiac)
    but they never sent the money back. I left no feedback. but it was six weeks before I got it. three for them to send it, and three for media mail to get it to me.

I just won a record and the shipping is 2 dollars.

a 12" on TSOB