Records from Spain?

Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
I feel like I have a descent grasp of records from Latin America, but don't really know anything out of Spain. Not that I'd find too many on the "field" here, but I'm curious regardless. I have seen some on ebay, some interesting pic sleeve 45s from garage and mod bands, but have never heard any, so I've never taken the plunge. What bands or singers from Spain do you guys like? Plaese to school, any and all genres appreciated...

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Not so long ago I scored a bunch of prog/psych records from Spain.

"El nacimiento del rock en Andalucia" is a 2 LP compilation, with bands from...Andalucia. Quite good.
    Gualberto "Vericuetos" and "S/t" are nice prog records, but the sitar and flamenco touches make them special.
    "Goma" and "CAI" are staright prog efforts.

• Gualberto "Vericuetos" and "S/t" are nice prog records, but the sitar and flamenco touches make them special.

Cosign.

I also enjoy the Musica Dispersa LP.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Can't forget the classic:

Yeah, everybody knows "woman" but have you listened to "cheer up" recently? Sooooo nice.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I'm sure that dude Taiconderoga has an abundance of Spanish heatrock

• generiquegenerique 625 Posts
    That latin funk record by Marquez is terrific.

Here are some names and samples:

spanish funk/jazz/soul

• first vainica doble LP is solid dulcimer 'cloud touching earth in its chrysanthemum hair' aka weed is cool type shit if you're into that.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

spanish funk/jazz/soul

Spanish only release right? Brook Benton?

• My favorite Spanish joint is titled 'Proyecta A' and is on the stoned fuzz tip about the planets. Tribu (i think is Spanish) is a Niagraesque drum worker. No camera right no or id post photos..sorry mang.

• generiquegenerique 625 Posts

spanish funk/jazz/soul

Spanish only release right? Brook Benton?

Enough Spanish stuff among the names though, among which Marquez, a stupid good record.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    That Brothers - Brother's Groove record is Spain-only, too, right?

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    There's tonnes of incredible stuff from Spain!

Pedro Ruy Blas
    Jordi Sabates
    Jaymes Marques
    Juan Carlos Calderon
    Barcelona Traction (best prog/fusion ever)
    etc etc etc

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Jaymes Marques

Is from Spain?? Why the hell does he pretend to be Brazilian?

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Jaymes Marques

Is from Spain?? Why the hell does he pretend to be Brazilian?

Most of the artists I mentioned pretend to be Brazilian. It's an aspect of the Europe-Brazil love-in that took place in the 70s. One my recent radio shows features a lot of spanish music; check out the waxingdeep archives, www.waxingdeep.org.

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts

This is special.

• I'm sure that dude Taiconderoga has an abundance of Spanish heatrock

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Thanks all, I'll look into these groups and report back.

rape_donekys,

solid dulcimer 'cloud touching earth in its chrysanthemum hair' type shit
    is the licking toad type hype my mind's eye seeks, word.

damn taiconderoga!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    hey, isn't Katunga an argentinian band?

• hey, isn't Katunga an argentinian band?

yeah but that 45 was recorded in Spain while they were living here...it was produced by another guy from argentina who was also living in Spain at the time, Charlie Leroy...I think that 45 was only released here, the track "puedes oirme" is superb latin funk, nothing to do with their later commercial records.

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    taiconderoga,
    Plaese to provide extensive reviews and descriptions of all the records you just posted.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

yeah but that 45 was recorded in Spain while they were living here...it was produced by another guy from argentina who was also living in Spain at the time, Charlie Leroy...I think that 45 was only released here, the track "puedes oirme" is superb latin funk, nothing to do with their later commercial records.

and while we are at it, is "Rompamos todo" a cover of Los Shakers' "Break it all"??

• no, it's a different track. There's also a 45 by a girl called Norah on the pictures above, it was another argentinian living & recording in Spain in the 70s.