KING FLOYD R.I.P.

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
King Floyd, the New Orleans-based genius behind "Groove Me," "Baby Let Me Kiss You," and a grip of other funk-based deep-soul records, passed away on Monday from a stroke and complications from diabetes. He was 61.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Wow. So young.

I will play Groove me at every gig all week at SXSW.

RIP.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Damn!!
    he will be missed.
    Rip
    this years been ridiculous for legends passing away. It's only march!!!

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Groove Me is one of my all time favorite Soul tunes. I remember when I first heard it on the radio. O-Dub actually was playing it. I went on an immediate search for it and found a copy in the West Village in NYC while on vacation along with a couple other of his 45s. Sweet voice and such a catchy tune.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Groove Me is one of my all time favorite Soul tunes. I remember when I first heard it on the radio. O-Dub actually was playing it. I went on an immediate search for it and found a copy in the West Village in NYC while on vacation along with a couple other of his 45s. Sweet voice and such a catchy tune.

It's definitely one of those songs that's special. As a DJ you can get away with playing it out in a club at any time for anyone no matter what.

• Groove Me is one of my all time favorite Soul tunes. I remember when I first heard it on the radio. O-Dub actually was playing it. I went on an immediate search for it and found a copy in the West Village in NYC while on vacation along with a couple other of his 45s. Sweet voice and such a catchy tune.

It's definitely one of those songs that's special. As a DJ you can get away with playing it out in a club at any time for anyone no matter what.

He cut a lot of great stuff. My favorite is probably "Do Your Feeling" -- that arrangement is just crazy, especially the breakdown to voice and drums. Wardell Quezergue at his best.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Groove Me and Baby Let Me Kiss You were two of the first funky soul records I got hip to when I was just starting to buy old records. RIP

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Groove Me and Baby Let Me Kiss You were two of the first funky soul records I got hip to when I was just starting to buy old records. RIP

Cosign. His first LP on Cotillion is pretty much end-to-end sweetness. Imma dig that one out tonight.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Just copped his LP on VIP this year, after hearing it for the first
    time at a friend's house. Incredible album.

61 is a pretty young age - at the very least we can say he more than
    left his mark, and I only hope his passing was without pain. R.I.P.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I've only seen this confirmed in the blogosphere. Can't find a single mention in the news: anyone see anything?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I've only seen this confirmed in the blogosphere. Can't find a single mention in the news: anyone see anything?

I haven't seen anything, but to be painfully honest, I don't think King Floyd was famous enough to rate the media coverage that Wilson Pickett or even Link Wray got. He had his moment in the spotlight, but where Pickett will be remembered as The Classic Soul Singer, King Floyd is probably thought of as The One-Hit Wonder Who Sang "Groove Me." (Incidentally, that wasn't his only hit, but it is the main song that he's remembered by.)

I'll bet this is why we haven't seen King Floyd's picture on the 6:00 news.

But in this case, I'd LOVE to be proven wrong.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    R.I.P. King Floyd. Keep doing your feeling in the soul sky.

"Uh uh uh aaaaw-brrrrrt sookie sookie now now - UH!"

• JazoistJazoist 78 Posts

I haven't seen anything, but to be painfully honest, I don't think King Floyd was famous enough to rate the media coverage that Wilson Pickett or even Link Wray got. He had his moment in the spotlight, but where Pickett will be remembered as The Classic Soul Singer, King Floyd is probably thought of as The One-Hit Wonder Who Sang "Groove Me." (Incidentally, that wasn't his only hit, but it is the main song that he's remembered by.)

I'll bet this is why we haven't seen King Floyd's picture on the 6:00 news.

But in this case, I'd LOVE to be proven wrong.

He was on this album 'The sound of soul, vol. 1' (?), and next to King Curtis he was the only groovy artist on the album. Even my stepmother has that album. I remember all now again...

• ja_bruceja_bruce 295 Posts
    R.I.P. Will be missed

I feel like dynamite!

Image hosting by Photobucket

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Damn! So sad.

I don't even need to dig up his "Heart of the Matter" LP tonight, because it's already been in regular rotation this week.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    R.I.P. King Floyd

Damn!

Groove Me was one of those tunes that I had to track down... one of the first nice soul records I bought when I started digging...

I'll be playing that one out on Saturday for sure