ST PATRICK DAY PARTY PATROL!

2»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    let me clarify, hey white soulstrut dudes (all 12141242132 of y'alls). Do you guys really get down for this holiday? I mean does it matter to you...I'm fascinated.

Young Phonics, let me clarify what appears to be a basic misapprehension of yours.

Pretty much all Irish people are white.

However...

Not all white people are Irish.

That said, I cannot think of a day on which I would rather be some place other than New York.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Existing as it does at the nexus of corn and beef, I feel that this is a holiday made for soulstrut.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    That said, I cannot think of a day on which I would rather be some place other than New York.

Uptown and The South Bronx is unaffected during the parade.

North Bronx iz Irish fo' reel. 205st.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    As a non-Irish american, I will tell you what the average non-Irish american knows about the Irish.

They wear green.
    They drink a lot.
    They all have an O' in front of their last name.
    They are lucky and have 4 leaf clovers.
    They all have red hair and really big sideburns.

In america, having a "theme" party is usually kind of lame. So instead we take holidays from other countries and use that as a theme. For example, most people really don't know what happened on the 5th of May in Mexico, and most people don't really care either. But we celebrate cinco de mayo, not because because we give a shit about mexico, but because its an excuse to have a mexican themed bender.

Same thing with St. Patricks Day. We turn everything green and then drink beer. I say "we" in the general sense, becuase I usually don't really partake.

Octoberfest, we become german. Again, most people here have no idea what the fuck it is, we just have our german party and go.

And the 4th of July is when Christopher Colombus signed the Declaration Of The Constitution and Freed The Slaves from The British and Landed on the Moon. We blow up fireworks and get shitfaced.

I think really one reason why Americans have these holidays is because its now frowned upon to go out and get hammered just for the mere fun of it. It makes you a drunk. Unless its a holiday... So any holiday will do.

I'm suprised we don't have a russian holiday for drinking vodka. St. Petersburg day or something.

Usually I avoid these holidays because its too crowded out, and also falls on a weekday a lot. But this time its on friday, so maybe I will do it. Not sure.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Though I'm not Irish and don't celebrate this holiday - I see it similar to Cinco De Mayo = an excuse for people to get drunk/stupid. There's nothing wrong with that but really people do we "need" an actual day or two to do this...?

And the 4th of July is when Christopher Colombus signed the Declaration Of The Constitution and Freed The Slaves from The British and Landed on the Moon. We blow up fireworks and get shitfaced.

Though I'm not Irish and don't celebrate this holiday - I see it similar to Cinco De Mayo = an excuse for people to get drunk/stupid. There's nothing wrong with that but really people do we "need" an actual day or two to do this...?

I sure as hell don't!

There's nothing wrong with that but really people do we "need" an actual day or two to do this...?

Do U "need" to celebrate your B-day?

It's cultural dude.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Man, yall are so negative! I think it can be fun. I have a friend thats flying back to nyc for the weekend for this shit.

I used to enjoy going to the parade in boston. Kinda. Watching drunk cops take a piss off a building was kind of amusing.

It gets a little rediculous though. Please be safe people.

There's nothing wrong with that but really people do we "need" an actual day or two to do this...?

It's cultural dude.

I'm returning the present i got for you.

True--but if you have business to take care of downtown, it's a problem.

A great day to stay home.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    josh celebrates

True--but if you have business to take care of downtown, it's a problem.

A great day to stay home.

Yeah, Shit jumps off at noon in manhattan.

It's cultural dude.

I'm returning the present i got for you.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    it falls on a friday and I have to deejay in S.F.'s Marina

Ouch! Damn, I don't envy you for that, Phonics. it's gonna be meatheads-a-go-go up there.

And no, I don't celebrate this non-holiday, but I will, of course, quote The Simpsons:

KENT BROCKMAN: It's St. Patrick's Day, and everybody's a little bit Irish...except for the gays and the Italians.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts

It's cultural dude.

I think you misunderstood me. I just think these two holidays are ignorant and not very "cultural" at all. If you mean cultural as in "a day for americans to get drunk" then - yeah I agree!!!

• There's nothing wrong with that but really people do we "need" an actual day or two to do this...?

It's cultural dude.

I think you misunderstood me. I just think these two holidays are ignorant and not very "cultural" at all. If you mean cultural as in "a day for americans to get drunk" then - yeah I agree!!!

I think you'll find that those of use that are actually of one of those ethnicities, and take pride in their heritage might not find these holidays to be "ignorant". Just because hundreds of thousands of amateur drunks use St Patricks Day as an excuse to get hammered, doesn't mean that's what the day is for.

It's cultural dude.

Actually the story of St. Patrick is a lot more elaborate than that. The gist is that he was an english sheep herder who got kidnapped and put into slavery by the Irish during a raid of Britan. After several years of captivity, he claims to have been visited by God, who guided him on his escape. Upon his return to England he joined the church to give thanks to God. After serious study and prayer, the church told him he had to go back to Ireland to preach and convert "the barbarians." They had sent people before but they had all been killed because they tried to force conversion. St. Patrick who, because of his days as a slave, knew the language and the customs of the people went back and was effective in communicating the similarities of the Irish pagan religion and catholicism. In my opinion he was one of the most brilliant syncretists of all organized religion, he made commonalities between the sun and God, bridging nature and christianity into one. Hence why the celtic cross has a orb in the middle, representing the sun and moon. Whether this syncretism is a good or bad thing is subject to debate, but it does stand that St. Patrick did survie and accomplish his goals in a land where no one else could, some would say that was miraculous. The story of him chasing the snakes out of Ireland is a metaphor for removing paganism, represnted by the snake, who in turn represents satan.
    What any of this has to do with drinking and debauchery is beyond me, I guess people just want an excuse to get drunk, and thats fine by me. Some people question why celebrate the assimilation of one culture into another, and I think its a valid question. One could even go so far as to make the argument that the church pushed this holiday to further people away form paganism. I also find it ironic that St. Patrick is English, and that a celebration of Irishness is really a rejection of celticness and an embracement of a catholic Ireland. I don't know though, I don't celebrate it because I don't feel a connection to the holiday, plus I have no shame in getting drunk whenever I want.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Yes I read that thanks... I just think its a holiday (like Cinco de Mayo - and maybe thats where I'm messin this up), where many people don't know about the meaning and just use it as a reason to party. That's why I said it to be ignorant... Not trying to start a BIG debate on the meaning of each holiday...

Yes I read that thanks... I just think its a holiday (like Cinco de Mayo - and maybe thats where I'm messin this up), where many people don't know about the meaning and just use it as a reason to party. That's why I said it to be ignorant... Not trying to start a BIG debate on the meaning of each holiday...

No doubt. Most celebrations are like this.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I like what answers.com has on the day!

Begorra! Had it not been for a band of Irish marauders in the fifth century, March 17 might've been plain old Maewyn's Day ??? because Maewyn wouldn't have changed his name to Patrick, and he likely wouldn't have become a saint. In fact, it wouldn't have been a Day at all.

But as it happened, a certain 16-year-old Welsh lad was kidnapped by those Irish marauders, and during the six years young Maewyn spent in servitude as a shepherd in Ireland he experienced a religious awakening, then spent years studying in a monastery. He took on a new name, Patrick, and a new calling ??? converting his countrymen to Christianity.

Patrick certainly had the luck of the Irish ??? as a young man he escaped the captors who enslaved him, and several times later in life he escaped arrest by the Druids who didn't appreciate his missionary activities in their midst.

He was successful at his chosen mission, too, founding schools and churches and performing baptisms; within 200 years Ireland was a Christian country. The shamrock, a trifoliate clover, became his cleverest teaching tool, which he used to explain the Trinity ??? three elements forming one entity.

In his Confessio, a spiritual autobiography, he writes:

So, how is it that in Ireland, where they never had any knowledge of God but, always, until now, cherished idols and unclean things, they are lately become a people of the Lord, and are called children of God.

There is some blarney in the stories about Patrick, too, most notably the one which has him delivering a sermon on a hilltop and thereby banishing the country's snakes. Unless one understands this symbolically to refer to pagan practices, it can't be true, for Ireland had no native snakes.

Saint Patrick died on March 17 in the year 461, and this date was declared a religious feast day. Traditional Lenten prohibitions were waived; dancing, drinking, and eating meat were allowed. In Ireland, most businesses, excluding restaurants and pubs, close on March 17. Nowadays, in an effort to present the best face of Ireland to visitors, a St. Patrick's Day festival is celebrated in Dublin from March 13th to the 19th. It features music, theater, dance, comedy, a treasure hunt, performance art, fireworks and more; it draws over a million revelers.

The first St. Patricks' Day parade took place not in Ireland, however, but in New York, in 1872; the parade became an occasion for downtrodden Irish immigrants to declare their pride in their nationality. Parades now take place across Europe, the Americas and Asia.

How to celebrate St. Patrick's Day:

* Wear green
    * Pin a shamrock to your hat
    * Speak with a brogue
    * Wear brogues
    * Drink Irish beer and spirits
    * Wish your friends and family "Top o' the morning to ye" and every so often cry out "Erin go bragh!" (Ireland forever)
    * If you're a mayor, dye your town's rivers green and paint your lane markers green.

Did you know?

* There are six cities in the US named Dublin. Some 34 million US residents claim Irish ancestry ??? rather more than the entire population of Ireland itself, which stands at about 4 million.
    * Celts are pronounced kelts. Don't be misled by the Boston Celtics basketball team, which is oddly pronounced seltics.
    * Irish whiskey, as opposed to Scotch, is sweeter, smoother, and almost never peaty or smoky. It's also spelled with an "e," while Scotch is spelled "whisky."
    * Old Bushmills Distillery, in County Antrim, Northern Ireland, licensed in 1608 by James I of England, is the world's oldest licensed whiskey distillery.
    * The word whiskey comes from an Irish Gaelic term meaning "water of life."

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts
    While Catholicism is an inseparable part of Irish identity, I think its lame to file Irish Day under St. P.

I'm Irish, & I definitely dont count Catholicism as part of my identity......that stuff has gone out the window the last 20-25 years or so........agreed on the 2nd part, a national Irish day should IMO fall around Easter(or April 24th) to commerate the Easter Rising

on a side note St Patrick was actaully Welsh

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    it falls on a friday and I have to deejay in S.F.'s Marina

Ouch! Damn, I don't envy you for that, Phonics. it's gonna be meatheads-a-go-go up there.

Man... I really think you guys need to chill on your judgement of said area. It's just a group of people who like to have fun, plain and simple. We don't take ourselves too seriously and are a very open minded bunch. If you could just look past the striped shirts maybe you'd see that. I'm not saying you should hang out there if you don't want to, but please don't judge us so negatively based soley on appearance. I've put up with the jokes for a while now and I even crack some myself in jest because like I said, we don't take ourselves too seriously, but it's gotten to the point where it's real frustrating and makes me not want to hang out with you guys if my friends and I are just gonna be the source of all your criticism.

I'm not a mad doggie... just sayin'. And yes, I celebrate St. Patrick's Day... and yes, it's an excuse to get drunk, but I don't see the problem with that.

DJ Ferrari

* Old Bushmills Distillery, in County Antrim, Northern Ireland, licensed in 1608 by James I of England, is the world's oldest licensed whiskey distillery.

Ta-Da! I just found a reason to celebrate!

• it falls on a friday and I have to deejay in S.F.'s Marina

Man... I really think you guys need to chill on your judgement of said area. It's just a group of people who like to have fun, plain and simple. We don't take ourselves too seriously and are a very open minded bunch. If you could just look past the striped shirts maybe you'd see that. I'm not saying you should hang out there if you don't want to, but please don't judge us so negatively based soley on appearance. I've put up with the jokes for a while now and I even crack some myself in jest because like I said, we don't take ourselves too seriously, but it's gotten to the point where it's real frustrating and makes me not want to hang out with you guys if my friends and I are just gonna be the source of all your criticism.

I'm not a mad doggie... just sayin'. And yes, I celebrate St. Patrick's Day... and yes, it's an excuse to get drunk, but I don't see the problem with that.

DJ Ferrari

Ivan "O'Malley"

I've been dealing with these rude obnoxious dickheads for 3 years. Probally all of my bad dj experiences have come from playing at this paritcular spot. I do agree with you that I'm making a blanket statement on the Marina (I have friends that live in that neighborhood and own shops), so I should say I hate dealing with Marina club go-ers.

and you really shoudn't take this as a personal attack on you, everyone is the butt of my jokes. You should know that, I only post like 10 times a day on soulstrut "bagging" on someone or something.

You should roll through , I'm 100% serious, I can hook you up with a drink or 3.

Man... I really think you guys need to chill on your judgement of said area. It's just a group of people who like to have fun, plain and simple. We don't take ourselves too seriously and are a very open minded bunch. If you could just look past the striped shirts maybe you'd see that. I'm not saying you should hang out there if you don't want to, but please don't judge us so negatively based soley on appearance.

[Archaic]So what fraternity do you belong to?[/Archaic]

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    [Archaic]So what fraternity do you belong to?[/Archaic]

Yeah yeah... I'm that guy. Theta Chi would be the answer

Sorry Patrick that you've had bad experiences around those parts. I sincerely hope that it wasn't any of my friends or acquantainces that have given you a hard time. I doubt it considering we're more the bar crowd and I've forced the 'respect the DJ' attitude on them.

I know it's all in good fun, but I've noticed that it's been a bit more hostile lately from everyone and I just happened to choose this thread to express a little concern and hopefully dull the fire a bit. No worries though.

I'd come to your show but I'm leaving for New York tomorrow.

DJ Ferrari