La Revolucion de Emiliano Zapata

Comments

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    wasn't it antique sorcery ? or is that another group.

i had one of them a year or two back and sold it at the austin show. cool record.

-i have a spare sealed copy of the Peace & Love - Super Banda TJ Mexico for any who need. It's the Discos Y Cintas Denver edition.

-Other heavy latin rock LP's worth checking is the guatemalan group Siglo XX. Killer latin fuzz guitar with a nice jazzy feel.

-And the guatemalan surf/garage group Modulo *(???^^??). monster fuzz guitar / breaks / jazzy latin lounge tune a la Marius Cultier, etc. etc. etc.

got all of the above sealed for any collectros.

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts

Antiques (Floridian Mexican band)

This was a cuban band from Miami that that had a big influence on the local latin rock scene. They started as a beat group named "Antique Formula" and recorded an lp for Audio Latino. I upped the 1st lp over @ waxidermy, but I think folks missed it.

I searched on the main site but couldn't find it.
    I searched Antiques and Antique Formula.
    Did you post it there or on the message board?

here's a version of tito puente's "Batuka" from the 1st lp.

Antiques-Batuka

Blazing! - Awesome!
    Thanks!!

Holy !!

When it cut into the second part of the song after that crazy dramatic opening my jaw just dropped!
    Way way way cool!
    Thanks Meaty!
    The horn lines just totally turn it in a different direction.

Is that just the recording/vinyl quality that is swinging the sound in and out or part of their effects? Hard to tell in some places.

Dude, those background singers are killin it!
    Especially that blond one with glasses.
    She looks like she's having an attack...

I could use a party like that right about now!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    El Alamo is the shit, but I keep getting outbid on it. Along the same lines is Jean Paul out of Peru as well. Just got that LP and it's a monster.

DJ Ferrari

which one, El Troglodita? Which cuts do you like on that? I have a 45 off that album and it kinda blows

Yeah that one... so side 1 is all awesome and side 2 is all not awesome. I don't know the track names without looking at it so I'll have to get back to you. My guess is that the 45 is from side 2.

DJ Ferrari

Side 1 - Good:
    Vudu
    Any Time
    Peace and Love
    Everything is Gonna Change

Side 2 - Bad:
    Te Amo Mas
    Mammy Blue
    Sonar Bailar y Cantar
    Remember my Love
    Portense Bien

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

The band is called The Antiques... the title is Sorcery. Confused me too.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

The band is called The Antiques... the title is Sorcery. Confused me too.

I've seen 3 different LP's by a band called "Antique"...they were all released on a Miami based label. Some great Santana sounding tunes and some heavier stuff too. The one I remember liking the most had a silver cover.

BTW - If anyone is interested in the Aguaturbia albums I found them available for download at what looks to be a pretty cool music blog:

CGRF

Not so happy that he uses Rapidshare but at least the files stay there longer...

Looks like he has a whole mess of interesting stuff if you go to the March archive.

I'm downloading this as I type this:

Here are my personal Top 5 Mexican LP's......

Kaleidescope S/T - An english vocal garage/psych band that sounds like they killed those Justice label bands in Satanic Rituals, ate their flesh, and then recorded this LP. This is one bad ass evil 1967 sounding LP!!

Toncho Pilatos S/T - The Mexican version of Satanic Majesty's Request.

Three Souls In My Mind S/T - Heavy hard straight ahead rock with gargled with broken glass vocals.

Dug-Dugs "Smog" - Amazing heavy swirling psych rock.

La Revolucion De Emilano Zapata "Hoy"

Toncho Pilatos S/T - The Mexican version of Satanic Majesty's Request.

I have some real rough live recordings from them from 75', they fucking destroy shit. I'll try and post some later.

I have to add one more Mexican group but I'm not sure if they ever recorded an LP.....I've had two 7" EP's by a band called Antorchas that were just amazing.

I have to add one more Mexican group but I'm not sure if they ever recorded an LP.....I've had two 7" EP's by a band called Antorchas that were just amazing.

I have an Antorcha 7" as well that kicks ass.. Totally private shit. I used it on that mix.

TONCHOS PILATOS LIVE AT SALON CHICAGO

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Hi Meaty!

Thanks for all this knowledge. I hope to find some of these records one day.

Herm

No LP, they were some loner fuggs.

Another one of my favs is The Spiders - Back. Look for the promo 45 with Back/People Deceive... totally diff. raw mix than the LP (which is equally cool).

Another one of my favs is The Spiders - Back. Look for the promo 45 with Back/People Deceive... totally diff. raw mix than the LP (which is equally cool).

"Back" probably would have made #6 on my list..."People Deceive" is the shit for me.

The live El Amor LP and the El Ritual LP are up there too.

• Kaleidescope S/T
    Dug-Dugs "Smog"
    La Revolucion De Emilano Zapata

i brought these three to mexico with me last time in hopes of finding someone to say, do you have these on vinyl, but i didn't even find anyone who knew what a record was

• I have to add one more Mexican group but I'm not sure if they ever recorded an LP.....I've had two 7" EP's by a band called Antorchas that were just amazing.

I've seen an lp listed for Antorcha, their name means anarchy and the record was illegal to own in Mexico. Half of it is spoken leftist political business, but its stll super pricey. It was at Third Coast Sound Distortions. I don't know if this is the band you're talking about, it didn't have an s. I'd like to say that the Dug Dugs record mentioned is very good, you can get it on cd. There is a vinyl reissue and even 2nd Mexican pressings go for like 200 bucks. I love every thing I've heard from Mexico and South America psych and rock wise, its the most addictive and satisfying music I've found. I wish I had connections and resources for originals, there's so much I'm missing out on. I need Tarkus in my life, is there any reissue around?

• I need Tarkus in my life, is there any reissue around?

There was a reissue in, I think, the late 90s. Not sure if it is still available. I'm pretty sure Lazarus audio put it out.

I've seen an lp listed for Antorcha, their name means anarchy and the record was illegal to own in Mexico. Half of it is spoken leftist political business, but its stll super pricey. It was at Third Coast Sound Distortions. I don't know if this is the band you're talking about, it didn't have an s. I'd like to say that the Dug Dugs record mentioned is very good, you can get it on cd. There is a vinyl reissue and even 2nd Mexican pressings go for like 200 bucks. I love every thing I've heard from Mexico and South America psych and rock wise, its the most addictive and satisfying music I've found. I wish I had connections and resources for originals, there's so much I'm missing out on. I need Tarkus in my life, is there any reissue around?

Tarkus is Peruvian. ..

And you're right, now that I think of it, I have the Antorcha LP on CD.. its a spoken word LP, with 1:00 long segments in between of raw psych biz. I got sent a gang of shit at once and its taken me a while to process thru it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Kaleidescope S/T - An english vocal garage/psych band that sounds like they killed those Justice label bands in Satanic Rituals, ate their flesh, and then recorded this LP. This is one bad ass evil 1967 sounding LP!!

Here's the Kaleidoscope album

Fairly low bitrate, but sounds great.

Original upload courtesy of thes****r over at W*******y

• I have to add one more Mexican group but I'm not sure if they ever recorded an LP.....I've had two 7" EP's by a band called Antorchas that were just amazing.

yep, also some nice drum breaks on the album. Like a mexican Doors.

The live El Amor LP and the El Ritual LP are up there too.

yeah but those fake applauses & audience noises are a bit annoying! anyway what a killer bass player!

• here's the most demented heavy psych track from south america, chilean band Amigos De Maria's "Vuelve a comenzar". 9 minutes of distorted through a megaphone vocals, fuzz guitars, weird efects...recorded in 1968 but nor released until 1973:

LISTEN!!

There was a reissue in, I think, the late 90s. Not sure if it is still available. I'm pretty sure Lazarus audio put it out.

Thanks, I'll see if I can get that. Lazarus put out the Laghonia reissues too.
    Good sound on those.

I need Tarkus in my life, is there any reissue around?

Good sound on those.

Every time I go looking for these reissues and find them new (for example on Ebay or at Freak Emporium) they seem priced in the $25-$30 range. Does that sound right? Anyone have any better sources for this kind of stuff?

Good sound on those.

Every time I go looking for these reissues and find them new (for example on Ebay or at Freak Emporium) they seem priced in the $25-$30 range. Does that sound right? Anyone have any better sources for this kind of stuff?

25-30 for the Laghonias is pretty cheap.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

oh fuck.......................

I need Tarkus in my life, is there any reissue around?

Good sound on those.

Ok - thanks.
    I guess I'm just not used to payin' that much chedder for a reissue.

and worth every penny.

As rare as they say the first Laghonia LP is, it seems to show up on Ebay alot.

The high price of Psych re-issues is a subject that is often discussed on the Psych sites......if anyone is interested in the history of that phenomenom and the reasons the prices are so ridiculous I'd be happy to explain.