freestyle mix for download

ayresayres 1,452 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
i don't know if yall remember when i started that thread "what's your favorite freestyle records" but anyhow here is a little vinyl archaelogy column i wrote for The Fader with a 20 minute mix of all the songs (free download):http://djayres.com/freestyle/thanks everyone who dropped knowledge. i ended up writing about the ones i already knew about but it was fun listening to all that other stuff and digging out a bunch of those records in new jersey.

Comments

• Dope mix... You said the tracklist is in the new Fader?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Thank you Ayers!!! I LOVE some damn freestyle music mayne!

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Quality as always. Why do I feel the urge to jump around like an 80s aerobics chick when I hear stuff like this?

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    "...it???s time to channel your inner 15 year-old Puerto Rican girl with some freestyle."

Hahaha! Thats so funny! These joints were mega popular in Puerto Rico. I remember my female cousins playing these records over and over and doing the dance routines, so funny. If you remember the picture DJ Anna posted in the freestyle thread, thats what they dressed like, all the time. I didn't know that freestyle was directly geared to a latin audience, but it doesn't suprise me because pop drivel rules the radio there. Freestyle stuck in PR too, when I was in high school in the 90s a lot of those songs were still played on the radio, at clubs, and parties. But yeah, nice article urrrs. I'll check out the mix when I get home today, but regardless if you could do a tracklist it would be appreciated.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    The tracklist = the same eight records I wrote about in the article. If you click the link you can read the entire article and listen to the mix.
    http://djayres.com/freestyle/

Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam With Full Force
    "I Wonder if I Could Take You Home" (CBS 1985)

Expos??
    ???Point Of No Return??? (Arista 1985)

The Cover Girls
    "Because of You" (Fever 1987)

Connie
    ???Funky Little Beat??? 12-Inch (Sunnyview 1985)

Noel
    ???Silent Morning (???Little" Louie Vega remix)??? 12-inch (4th & Broadway 1987)

TKA
    ???Scars Of Love??? (Tommy Boy 1987)

Taylor Dane
    "Tell it To My Heart" (Arista 1987)

Stacey Q
    ???Two Of Hearts??? 12-Inch (On the Spot 1986)

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    i love freestyle...i have the Expose on an early indie pressing when they were called Exposed..."dub of no return" is the shit. i also like the proto freestyle...like 1984 miami vocal electro, some bobby o pieces, shannon, etc. oh yeah, and pretty poison "point of no return"!

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
    WORD! But I didn't see the Underground Freestyle Rare Classic Lydia Lee Love??? Kids need to know! How about TOLGA and MONET??? Maybe I should listen 1st, I can't wait!