Sharon Jones and Dap Kings Live on KCRW

Comments

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Man, I forgot they were playing in town tonight...anyone going?

• Man, I forgot they were playing in town tonight...anyone going?

wish i could, but got family arriving in town tonight. last time i saw her at knitting factory was i think spaceghost is rolling.

"what if we all stopped paying taxes?"

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Man, I forgot they were playing in town tonight...anyone going?

depending on how long class is tongiht you may see me up in the place

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Did anyone recorded off-air and to the hard drive?

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    speaking of daptone, anyone cop the company "la culebra" 45? shit is butter

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

YES

• speaking of daptone, anyone cop the company "la culebra" 45? shit is butter

I caught them up in Boston 2 weeks ago, second time I've seen them and they're just unfuckingstoppable. I swear they could get a crowd of nazi paraplegics shaking their asses.

Anyway I was playing pool (no ayyo) with Tom the guitarist before they went on and he was telling me about his Afrobeat side-project that was supposed to drop some shit soon. But I forget the name. Is it La Culebra? 'Cause that sounds familiar.

Antibalas?

• LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts
    Anyway I was playing pool (no ayyo) with Tom the guitarist before they went on and he was telling me about his Afrobeat side-project that was supposed to drop some shit soon. But I forget the name. Is it La Culebra? 'Cause that sounds familiar.

The group is called Budos[/b] . I have seen them twice and they are
    I mean definitely some of the most fierce shit i have ever heard/seen. massive heavy afrofunk at its best. stronger than antibalas. when they drop their album on daptone the shit is going to be a landmark. if you thought Daktaris was nice these guys kick it up a few more notches with much more hard funk in the mix. if i were to give a general comparison it would be like a combination of Mulatu the Invaders and Marijata. these guys are fucking lethal. just wait. nobody even comes close to what they are doing. 45's of their stuff should be out soon i hope.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

The group is called Budos[/b] . I have seen them twice and they are
    I mean definitely some of the most fierce shit i have ever heard/seen. massive heavy afrofunk at its best. stronger than antibalas. when they drop their album on daptone the shit is going to be a landmark. if you thought Daktaris was nice these guys kick it up a few more notches with much more hard funk in the mix. if i were to give a general comparison it would be like a combination of Mulatu the Invaders and Marijata. these guys are fucking lethal. just wait. nobody even comes close to what they are doing. 45's of their stuff should be out soon i hope.

the truth is out there

Budos have come on really strong in the last few months, definitely a harder sound than Antibalas... approaching levels of Daktariness, agreed, but how do you get a few notches higher than them?!

La Culebra - The Company is superdope, Antibalas - Makossa #3 is superdope, basically a lot of the same cats play with these groups so it's ALL good.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts

the company = sugarman three. i do think this was an attempt to modernize the sugarman sound, and maybe even sound a little like the poets.

fucking kudos to all the hard working newyorkers behind daptone, and truth and soul. those cats make so many good tunes its a fucking joke. someone with deeeep pockets needs to hook them up and release eveything they ever recorded. they have more music in the can than you'd think. unitl that happens, just make sure to check out the Truth and Soul product as well as the Daptone. less of an empire so you'll hear less about them, but the music is incredible, on par with any daptone releases. the lastest 7" on truth and soul is monster.

• LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts
    Spliff,
    what did you think when you saw them at that gig?
    I totally loved the Daktaris(wasnt it Gabe and crew) and thought their album classic but the Budos is a whole 'nother beast. of course it's all splitting hairs but yeah, they will be making waves with that group.
    devasting those cats. fucking cant wait till the album comes out.

I've seen them 3 times. First time was opening for Nathaniel Mayer about 6 months ago and they seemed liked a nice ensemble. Then I caught the end of their set opening for the Dap-kings in early April and the crowd's reaction plus the nice system at southpaw made me think that they were onto something. Then the last gig I saw was super tight, dope, ruff, funky, etc, etc,...

Now I'm only comparing Budos live with Daktaris on wax so it's tough, but Daktaris had some vocals plus I heard that over the last 6 months Gabe has been working a lot in the studio with Budos. So to me it all adds up to something that is approaching Daktariness and if Gabe's involved it's only gonna help. Either way, they must be one of the funkiest groups to come out of Staten Island.

I'm sure the LP will be fucking dope, then we can see if they take the crown.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

the company = sugarman three. i do think this was an attempt to modernize the sugarman sound, and maybe even sound a little like the poets.

fucking kudos to all the hard working newyorkers behind daptone, and truth and soul. those cats make so many good tunes its a fucking joke. someone with deeeep pockets needs to hook them up and release eveything they ever recorded. they have more music in the can than you'd think. unitl that happens, just make sure to check out the Truth and Soul product as well as the Daptone. less of an empire so you'll hear less about them, but the music is incredible, on par with any daptone releases. the lastest 7" on truth and soul is monster.

is the latest truth & soul that lee fields joint? if so i am most definitely feeling it.

does truth & soul have a website? i searched and couldn't find anything.

http://www.truthandsoulrecords.com/

But you wanna go here to hear what the new one is all about

clips

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    el michaels
    this ones sick, ill see if we any of the other available...

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    They came through last night and I recorded with them today, I'm producing a song for Sharon Jones.