who sent me this ladies of the canyon CD?

anthonypearsonanthonypearson 2,442 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
who sent me this female folk comp nugget?someone on the strut?i like it plus it has shira small. i thought i was the only one with that nug?whoever sent it thanks and say whats up!ap

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Well, dude...your name is on it. Which tracks did you contribute? I took one look at the thank-yous, and: sure enough.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    The new Numero group cd right? Is this out yet? If so, I need to make a trip to the record store pronto.

• i did not contribute anything to this unless someone took something off my soulstrut summer 2005 mix.

i actually think it is a dude named rob who emailed me about becky severonson one time.

ap

• This comp is all I'm listening to right now. We need to get a Numero Group appreciation thread.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    AP-

Rob and I sent you a copy and thanked you becuase you turned us onto a couple of tracks that we thought were critical, notably the Shira and Becky tracks. You were probably the only head who knew about Shira Small's album, and if you wanted to keep it a secret, we apologize, but that track needed to be heard by more than the 50 strutters who got your mix.

Strutters:

AP has proven that funk digging is over. Give up now and get into new age.

• i do not want to keep anything a seceret. i want people to hear unknown music. as l-dula says " let my children hear my music ". so anyway...

if you like that kind of stuff i have boatloads of it. also i have some new age that will fry your brain.

i would be really interested to hear about how you found that shira small record you have in reproduction on the cover art. i have not had a chance to listen ( i know most everything on the cd anyway ) or read the liners but lars clutterman told my homie who i hipped to shira small that shira was a 13 year old black minonite. true?

i also have the other lars clutterman with shira and it has a fat school break for the headz.

• oh and if you want to do a brezzy A.O.R. / soft rock mix i will make you shit a red duraflame.

maybe i will do one for soulstrut this summer and you can cop some more gnarls.

later.

• ap

where is this summer 2005 mix?? not in the archives?

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
    i do not want to keep anything a seceret. i want people to hear unknown music. as l-dula says " let my children hear my music ". so anyway...

• ap

where is this summer 2005 mix?? not in the archives?

you missed the boat. all gone. have crink put in on waxidermi for you.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts

i would be really interested to hear about how you found that shira small record you have in reproduction on the cover art. i have not had a chance to listen ( i know most everything on the cd anyway ) or read the liners but lars clutterman told my homie who i hipped to shira small that shira was a 13 year old black minonite. true?

Black yes, Menonite no. 17 not 13. She was a kid from the projects who got a scholarship to the George School. This record was a her senior project. Shira sent me a copy of the original record (complete with hand pasted sleeve). There were 500 made and all were sold or given to students/faculty of the George School and their parents.

Lars was really cool, and even sent us a mint copy to master off of.

That was a gem of the find.

Send me the boat shoe mix.

K

• dude i am going to make that boat shoe shit. no bar rock or lounge. only the most EMO aor shit of all time. mellow breezy and cool as can be. i wont be able to do this till i move back in my crib and get my records out of storage. late summer.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Strutters:

AP has proven that funk digging is over. Give up now and get into new age.

Well, I wouldn't take it THAT far, but I gotta say: acoustic Joni Mitchell crooning isn't even my thing, and even I like this anthology! It is an impressive compilation. At first I thought all this Soul Strut crowing over femme folk was coming from faddish crate diggers who ran out of things to collect, but the Numero guys did an incredible job cherry-picking the better examples of the genre.

• dude i am going to make that boat shoe shit. no bar rock or lounge. only the most EMO aor shit of all time. mellow breezy and cool as can be. i wont be able to do this till i move back in my crib and get my records out of storage. late summer.

don't forget the "dark" singer/songwriter mix you was toutin a few months back either!!

• im trying to keep up with these mixes but my collection is on ice and i am short on time...

posting to you live from the CMP in amazing riverside california.

i listened to the CD on my way out here today. stoked. it was amazing. looks amazing, sounds amazing.

i was flattered that three songs were lifted from the AP summer folk and new age mix. to have provided three nuggets was a great thing... well maybe four since i provided the beard with the street and the sea for practically nothing. i could not deal with it since the fog horn was so jacked up in the mix it practically blew a hole in my vandersteen 2c's. plus the world doesn't need another joni mitchell.

i do find it very, very hard to believe that the street and the sea was only pressed in quantity of 50 peices. that sounds like some serious misinformation to me since i have found it 3 times and i don't even live in the bay. i am pretty sure my boys will and chris have found it too. i don't think i could have found 7% of all the copies ever made. you know a bunch were thrown in the trash back in 1976 anyway.

you have got to be kidding me with that last track fleetwood mac cornball explosion. i need that shit right away please. i was totally into it.

anyway it is nice to see someone finally represent this stuff. i have been digging for this stuff for five years now and people called me a big cornball back in the day. it is really exciting to see it presented in such an AWESOME way.

speaking of fleetwood mac wait until you get ahold of my AOR mix mr. reissue nuggets. it is going to be like the mellowist line of coke evar. i got some shit from guam that will melt your face away.

• Where would someone find this CD????

• just type emo femme earthmama into google

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    The Eccentric soul: The Deep City Label comp is on high rotation the past month. As are the Bandit and Capsoul comps as always. Strutter Rob Sevier and co. are currently running my favorite label by a landslide. Nice and knowledgeable dude via PM's too.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    AP-

Thanks for the kind words, it means a lot coming from someone who's WAY into this stuff.

Your comp was a bit of a wake up call for Rob and I. We were digging on it heavily while sipping slurpees by the Holstein park pool. We had been trying to put together a collection like this for near on two years before your disc gave us the kick we needed to get it done. That and Bearded's femme thread were a big inspiration. Our original concept was filled with maj-labe types like Ruth Ann Friedman, Cheryl Ernst, and Bonnie Dobson, but the private stuff was just so much more interesting. I'm sure there's another collection in us, we just need to find more stuff. We've already got one or two in mind.

The SATS record may have been pressed in a higher quantity, but not according to Quinby. It was actually intended as a demo. She remembers the records coming in and never saw more than a box. Her boyfriend, who produced, may have made a few more. If you see another, send it my way.

Reilly and Maloney records are fairly easy to come by in California, especially in the Bay Area. Oddly enough Sevier turned up a few at Jazz Record Mart. I found sealed copies of their second and third albums at the Savers on Bascom in San Jose. Alive is a live album, but has some real nice moments.

Let me know when you're ready to start working on Private Yacht: Feathers & Leathers.

• im a gonna gloss you with some ambrosia style record award custom label shit that will make mama earthnug's vegan foodbin look so early 70's it will make your head spin.

nixon's out, carter's in.

be prepared to shit a duraflame.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Where would someone find this CD????

Bingo.

• i got emo to this in my car again today. i cry while listening to vegan foodbin nugs. i brokedown. this cd is even better the second time around. babs sipple is gnarly for me. you guys nailed it. congrats. i got some underground nugs for vol 2. or maybe some mens group emo. men of the mountain or something like that. gordon lightfoot privates for days. this cd makes me drop a burrito dumpling if you know what i mean. good job and keep the white music flowing. and thats no diss on the black man. i am a huge prince fan. i also got emo when purple rain came on jack fm yesterday. it reminded me of westwood at age 15 and nothing can top that.

you soulstrut folls need to buy copies of this now. it is simply amazing.

ap

• BeaverBeaver 164 Posts
    Anywhere in the UK stocking this?

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    Beaver-

Try Honest Jons. Mark will have them in on Monday or Tuesday.

AP-

Once you get your collection out of storage (finish building already), let's swap loner shit. The Sipple track is a pants pisser. Have you heard the rest of the album? The track with the fetus heart beat as the rhythm section is out of hand. Not good all the way through, but has some parts that melt face. She's a mezzo soprano now and has performed with Pavaroti, Domingo, and the other guy. Opera strutters, look in on her.

• yes, i read that about her singing opera. that's excellent. i have had both of her records for years. the other one kind of bites. the abortion heartbeat track is one of the heaviest xian folk moody tremblers i have ever heard.

you know like any genre a lot of subpar cornball shit exisits on this stuff. i always have dealers trying to feed me sunshine pop crap when it comes to this stuff. it is really hard to put your finger on the good ones and you guys did it. congrats again.