Monterey CA-Food, Music, and Fun For Kids???

IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
What's good to do in Monterey CA for a day or two and even Santa Cruz, I'm goin over their next month but am pressed for time so what are must do things with fam?? The Aqurium but how about FOOD (Pizza?), MUSIC etc???

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    yeah the monterrey aquarium is a facemelter, particularly the "open sea" exhibit they installed a few years back.

but how old are the kids?

I generally say skip the SC boardwalk.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I was just there, theres a few record shops, all on the same street. Old hippy dude runs one of em, and he's mad cool. Not alot in the way of raers, but still found some interesting items. Can't recall the name though. Beautiful little town.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Was the record store owner's name Bob? Big white beard? If so, yeah, he is a cool mofo. Is Recycled Records still there on Lighthouse? (My hometown, ya heard!)

If you're looking for something upscale, but not pocket breaking, there's a restaurant near old town (by the bus depot) called Stokes Abode. You may also want to try places in Carmel--some may be overpriced, but if you're off the strip you can get some great food at a good price. Look for Casanova's, if its still there; it was Charlie Chaplin's house for a long time in the area.

• I have some family who live in Monterey. Beautiful place.

You got to check out the tidepools along the coast. Kids would like it too. All kinds of creatures hanging out in there.

For food you've got to go to the Monterey Fish House. It's kind of in a weird residential part of town and away from the tourist stuff. Lots of locals. Great food. Order something grilled over their oak fire. So good. Fresh fresh fish.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Was the record store owner's name Bob? Big white beard? If so, yeah, he is a cool mofo. Is Recycled Records still there on Lighthouse? (My hometown, ya heard!)

yes, and yes... I think Bobs store was called "Vinyl Revolution" or some shit. Bob likee the psychee

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

yes, and yes... I think Bobs store was called "Vinyl Revolution" or some shit. Bob likee the psychee

Very cool--I lived about a block away from there one summer (in '96) and did mad damage to the bins--Can, Nurse with Wound, Lush, and many fine things pulled before Al Gore invented the 'Net.