tyler perry = asshole (wifeydraggedmetomovies r)

cuttysharpcuttysharp 61 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
madea movies = trash.new one = superdutytrash.damn near end of movie, quasi-main character throws hot grits in abusive husbands face. deserved, granted.love and happiness by al green during scene = superduty thoughts?

Comments

• if i'm not mistaken, the reason Rev. Al is a Rev. is b/c exgirl through aforementioned breakfast food in his face.

• thoughts?
    you're an oddball

but why do his movies being bad, make him an asshole?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I believe that he was commenting on Mr. Perry's lack of taste re: Mr Green.

But does this mean that Elijah and the Ebonites are finally off the hook? Because it's so hard to hate that song.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    if i'm not mistaken, the reason Rev. Al is a Rev. is b/c exgirl through aforementioned breakfast food in his face.

Wouldn't an acknowledgement of that fact make what you just previously written total bullshit?

Thoughts?

Sounds like he (Perry) was referencing what happened in the movie to what happened to Al. So that makes him an asshole?

Interesting.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Sounds like he (Perry) was referencing what happened in the movie to what happened to Al. So that makes him an asshole?

Interesting.

Exactly. And audiences identify with that. What's the controversy?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

If your mad at the reference being much too obvious, the I can see your hate.

But calling the director an asshole for a suspect artistic decision is silly.

Or are you more mad at yourself for not putting your foot down when "dragged" to this flick?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

If your mad at the reference being much too obvious, the I can see your hate.

But calling the director an asshole for a suspect artistic decision is silly.

Or are you more mad at yourself for not putting your foot down when "dragged" to this flick?

I watched most of this flick on bootleg DVD at work last night (thanks co-workers!)

It was like being in the theatre (people talking, getting up and standing in your way,etc), but my main complaint is not enough Madea! Every scene with a Tyler Perry chracter in it is fun (real broad humor but fun), and everything else is super melodramatic-set-up-for-a-life-lesson-later-in-the-picture type morality play. Which is how they are written, and what they are. And I feel bad for anyone not knowing this going in, or anyone not able to compartmentalize enough to take it for what it is. Because either way, it will be torture if this is not yer cup of tea.

Thank god for fast forward, because all of that abusive husband/sister's perfect man stuff was hard to sit thru for real!

Because either way, it will be torture if this is not yer cup of tea.

Thank god for fast forward, because all of that abusive husband/sister's perfect man stuff was hard to sit thru for real!

Yeah the last movie was

Medea Live =

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    how do these movies do so well in theatres? ive never even seen a preview or an add for this

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    how do these movies do so well in theatres? ive never even seen a preview or an add for this

You're going to the wrong theaters.

Really, though, these films probably don't even need to be advertised--Tyler Perry's fans are gonna see it regardless.

• how do these movies do so well in theatres? ive never even seen a preview or an add for this

The ads are all over TV in the NY/NJ market.

Tyler Perry = multi-millionaire even WITHOUT the films.

TheMack, you need to watch more Oprah and step your TVOne game up, son.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

...and go on a fieldtrip to see one of TP's plays. Maybe meet a nice older woman.

...and go on a fieldtrip to see one of TP's plays. Maybe meet a nice older woman.

next thing you know he'll be tivo-ing yer boy G. Garvin and decorating his room in warm earth tones and African sculpture.

Local Black Experience.

Perry has been hustlin' his DVDs in the streets for a minute.

I was on a bustrip/crabfest w/ a friend whose wife is a fan. All her girlfriends demanded Medea for the busride. I was str8 hattin'. Within the first half an hour, I was hooked. It's pop gospel/drama for the folks. Your Arms Too Short To Box W/ God- type demograph. Hollywood has no idea about this audience and how to draw them. Even BET caught on late.
    I'm no church goer but I got "dragged" to Medea Goes To Jail Live @ the Beacon Theatre, and the atmosphere was like the Good Times painting. Shit was crazy entertaining.

Within the first half an hour, I was hooked.

I reluctantly co-sign. The_Mack just go down to your local Korean owner Black beauty supply store and cop a bootleg.

I reluctantly co-sign. The_Mack just go down to your local Korean owner Black beauty supply store and cop a bootleg.

Spend $7 at the theater and give something back to support the creator.

It was a joke.

how do these movies do so well in theatres? ive never even seen a preview
    or an add for this

The critics seem to have no idea either...I don't have the exact numbers, but blacks are a very significant percentage of the movie going population. A lot of the promotion is word of mouth and that this point for Perry little promo is needed because people trust his product without question.

I don't have the exact numbers, but blacks are a very significant percentage of the movie going population.

In 2000, it was %50. I'm sure it's more now.

I don't have the exact numbers, but blacks are a very significant percentage of the movie going population.

In 2000, it was %50. I'm sure it's more now.

WOW, I knew it was high, but not like that, jeez! Escapism.

It was a joke.

It's cool, I just didn't want to get the wrong idea.

WOW, I knew it was high, but not like that, jeez! Escapism.

Escapism, the perception of "disposable" income, social factors, blah blah blah... Why can't we get some representation in front and behind the camera?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    the Madea plays have been VERY popular among African American church going women of all ages for years........and those are some of most loyal and money spending folks on earth.....those dvd's are bootleged like crack and the plays are actually much better than the films (except for all the damn singing )....'Meet the Browns' and 'Class Reunion' probably have the most funny and memorable moments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Billboards for this flick (featuring a mugshot of Perry in drag) are all over the Chicago subways. And not just in the black section of town either...

• i might be wrong...but i thought the reason al caught a pot of hot grits in the facemeat was b/c he wouldn't wife woman in question. not that he was beating on her.

but then again, one would probably have to ask both parties involved for a definitive answer.

the reference is bad form in my opinion.

and dude really seems to love dressing up like a woman. but that's neither here nor there.

one thing thats for certain, johny gill had some extremely cold ears during the wedding scene.

• also...i in no way can or would knock mr. perry's hustle.

i kept hearing that the reocurring mansion is dude's.
    and i especially can't knock the fact that he was getting dvds off at something like $40 a pop almost completely diy and they were selling out.

call me old fashioned, but if i want to catch a sermon, i'll be in church.

get your money Mr. Perry!

wow. i have no idea who or what you guys are talking about!

wow. i have no idea who or what you guys are talking about!

On a scale of 1 - 10, how lively would you rate San Diego's Local Black Experience?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts