Options

Weekend Finds MAr 10th-12th

Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Best finds post in a long ass time. Nice records JP.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    picked up some 45s today, mostly unremarkable but this one by 3's is pretty interesting:

anyone know anything about it? I can't find shit.

This looks great....what does it sound like??

I dare not use the sacred "p" word, so you can judge for yourself:

3's- Do You See

Not bad....I'd call it Hard Rock/Garage Psych....those horns came out of left field!!!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    FAKE FINDS POST ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/b]

Just kiddin'. Beautiful records, Jonny.

That Villegas-Tokatlian "Inspiracion" is really something. Nice paraguayan out-there jazz. No records in Buenos Aires

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Not bad....I'd call it Hard Rock/Garage Psych....those horns came out of left field!!!

Sounds kind of like pop psych but recorded after pop psych was no longer a genre to me... like post-West Coast Pop Art...

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I'll play:

These were the more interesting finds.

Anyone seen that "The Khalsa String Band"? Sounds like regular hippy-folk done by some Sikh's with western instruments. Curious if people are into this. Couldn't find much info on the net.

• Options
    I'll play:

Anyone seen that "The Khalsa String Band"? Sounds like regular hippy-folk done by some Sikh's with western instruments. Curious if people are into this. Couldn't find much info on the net.

49th Parallel is in there with the upper echelon Canadian psyche LP's. Sought after and known.

K in Canada.

• MikeZeroMikeZero 215 Posts

Hey JP, sweet finds...how is that Polish record (Maanam)...?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    It's got one nice groove on it, kind of "dusty fingers"-ish. I swear I've heard it before somewhere, on a comp or mix.

• MikeZeroMikeZero 215 Posts
    It's got one nice groove on it, kind of "dusty fingers"-ish. I swear I've heard it before somewhere, on a comp or mix.

Cool...there's a copy at a local spot that I'll have to check out.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I'll play:

http://ish.uwaterloo.ca/aaron/pictures/finds-mar1206-1.jpg

49th Parallel is in there with the upper echelon Canadian psyche LP's. Sought after and known.

K in Canada.
    Yeah, and made only 3 hours away from where I live. It was the only find I've had in a while where I've gone to a dealer and said "I'm looking for LP's or 45's from this group" and they actually had some (well, one).

I don't think the songs on this 45 are on the album (She Says and Citizen Freak). Citizen Freak is great.

• ShahShah 35 Posts
    Def my come up

sampler:
    ENSONIQ ASR 10 (Mint - purple screen with scsi out)

Modules:
    Ensoniq dp pro
    Korg wavestation
    Yamaha tx81z
    Roland d-550 (OG!)

EFX:
    Lexicon LPX-15 (dope!!!)
    Alesis midiverb
    Alesis 36030 compressor

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    This old guy went AWOL on my friend`s parents appt. They took all his stuff and let me have the records. I have yet to bring everything back but dude was straight obssesed with glenn miller and other stuff from the era. columbia box sets for days that and eurythmics...
    However managed to find some cool stuff

Two jazztone : one 10inch sampler and a coleman hawkins 12

This is really interesting (samples) and pretty good mystical vibes

Johnny Pacheco on there with nice percussion..good pop bossa

plus a kraft 45 and a bunch of human league

a bunch of sammy davis 45s

and a private press mystery Italia sixtet(Good lounge orchestra) and a million sinatra and andy williams

but free

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    thrift shops, dollar bins, fleas-- all 25 cents ea-a dollar each (unless noted)--

a couple of hot circa 1980 reggae lps there from dillinger (whose band included sly & robby, clint eastwood, trinity, and sugarminott at joe gibbs studio) and israel vibration (w/ augustus pablo and wailers)
    also--some rare euro avant/post-punk lps from pop group, household shocks comp, and a comp lp titled 'la perversita' w/ kiki picasso artwork. all three of those lps go for some major money. paid 5 bucks each on those.

sealed og copy of the luke lp. also 3(!) copies of the kebekelektrik lp on salsoul found at three different places in a period of less than 24 hrs! have only seen the 12"s but never have seen the lp before this week. appears to be rare i think. at least--there are online places selling it for 100+ dollars and it doesn't pop up on ebay too often.

urszula dudziak lp sampled by q-tip, also test pressing with handmade album cover/artwork for that samuel barber lp. handwritten white label on inside states it as a test press for mercury and gives mercury cat. no--pretty bizarre.

a very rockin' small label rockabilly 45 from a john sowell. the b side to this, 'nightmares' seems to be on some crypt comp.

hip-hop 12"s --

mc craig g- shout (pop art)
    kool joe & dj 2 nice - because i'm a pro (universal sound prod)
    mc la kim - the posse is large/we got the funk (tuff city --mark 45 king prod.)
    kwame & a new beginning - nastee/ding dong (atlantic)
    grandmaster slice & izzy chill -- since i got nice/shall we dance (creative funk)
    formula V - killer groove 1/II (malaco--ex. electro/hip-hop)
    just-ice - put that record back on/that girl is a slut/latoya (fresh)
    the fearless four - dedication (tuff city)
    stetsasonic - rock de la stet/just say stet (tommy boy)
    spoonin gee - spoonin rap (sound of new york)

found a collection of soul/r&b/funk 45s. too many to really list--i'll try and mention some of my faves though--

ruby and the party gang-- ruby's house party/hey ruby (shut your mouth) (law-ton)
    jimmy barnes, continental four,bobby wilson, tommy young, s.o.u.l.,johnnie morrissette, dave baby cortez 'funky robot' (also the rufus thomas one as well), frank lucas, inez andrews, ann sexton, east coast, tons more forgetitican'twritethisnomo'
    seriously, i found an overwhelming amount of good 45s.

• damnmnmn so covetous right now

this weekend i crossed a personal grail off the list - real sikk pgh 45:

also,
    Roy Haynes- We 3 (w/ Newborn, Chambers, real solid OG on New Jazz)
    Steve Kuhn- Live in NY (Cobblestone)
    Carla Thomas- Queen Alone (Stax)
    Kenny Wheeler Quintet (RCI)
    Bob Dorough- Just about Everything (Innercity)
    Monette Sudler- Time for a change (Innercity)
    Leo Kottke- 6+12 string gtr (takoma)

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I've been coming up like crazy.
    Image hosting by Photobucket
    and a cheap reissue of this

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I've been coming up like crazy.

Stop trying to be like me

PS check your voicemail

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

Ebay. Sealed.

Big thanks to Shingaling for the recommendation.

Ha! I'd recognize those Nikes in the background anywhere! Glad you like the record.

Oh...I found some stuff for cheap too:

No Tears EP - Tuxedomoon
    Zimmerkampf LP - Moev
    The Hurting LP - Tears for Fears
    Head Over Heels LP - Cocteau Twins
    Blue Bell Knoll LP - Cocteau Twins
    The Dreaming LP - Kate Bush
    Matthew & Son/New Masters LP - Cat Stevens
    Splashdown LP - Breakwater
    Funk Express LP - Chuck Brown & the Soul Searchers
    Youngblood OST LP - War
    No Way Back LP - The Dells
    Kinda Kinks - The Kinks
    Aqui! - Raphael Martos
    Bossa Nova Hits Vol. 3 (nice brazilian-issue bossa nova comp from the 60s)
    Mandolay 12" - La Flavour
    Over Like a Fat Rat 12" - Fonda Rae

• Options
    My buddy tipped me of a some stuff north of the city (although I cought the Frank Penn in a store for $4.99

Murderous 1981 release. Mixed at Tubby's by Scientist witht he usual the obligatory Roots Radics toughness.

Incredible Toronto electronic/avant garde Lp from '76. Great beat track on here as well.

Not a huge fan of U sound stuff, but there's a couple tracks on here worth keeping (one being early 80's electro!)

Dillinger produced by Bunny Lee at thsi time = mixes at Tubbys over Johnnie Clarke tunes. Do the math.

Aslo not a huge fan of Eek a Mouse, but this LP is well[/b] worht it. Scientist + Roots Radics mixed at Tubby's.

and about 40 other psyche, folk, soul and reggae LP's. A fun Sunday.

K in Canada.

E

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

This is one that I have never seen in the field in DC, except the empty sleeve I have. I guess I have seen some trashed copies, but it's weird that it doesn't show up more in the area. Not like his others are hard to find, even the in-demand Sussex LPs are around on occasion. Or is it just me?

This is one that I have never seen in the field in DC, except the empty sleeve I have. I guess I have seen some trashed copies, but it's weird that it doesn't show up more in the area. Not like his others are hard to find, even the in-demand Sussex LPs are around on occasion. Or is it just me?

Naw, you're right... I have one Polydor 45, but the one time I've ever spotted this LP the store I work at had listed it on ebay... still went for cheap, but I've seen the Sussex and Source LPs much more than this one...

Can anyone comment on whether its worth tracking down?

And is there ANY full-lengths on wax after Bustin Loose??

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

depends on what you mean by 'full length'....the Chauck Brown and The Soul Searchers LIVE is pretty full length, but in the Go-Go template of medley-form that became the standard for Go Go because of the Godfather, Chuck. It looks like a single but each side is at least 17-20 minutes like an LP. That's the one to get, IMO

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    nice finds k! i used a track off that jah woosh for a lovers mix i just made.

and that Fire Escape is a fantastic Kim Fowley/Michael Lloyd pysche-sploitation album!

some random finds from the past couple days...i've been swimming in good records...mostly 12"s.

yes, a spanish version of "celebration"!?

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    patrick!
    what's up with that wyndchymes lp? is it on rca as well?

depends on what you mean by 'full length'....the Chauck Brown and The Soul Searchers LIVE is pretty full length, but in the Go-Go template of medley-form that became the standard for Go Go because of the Godfather, Chuck. It looks like a single but each side is at least 17-20 minutes like an LP. That's the one to get, IMO

Thats one I see quite a bit, but ALWAYS trashed... I'm not sure if I own a copy or not, but if I do it needs an upgrade I'm sure...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

I need that Earl Sixteen in my life. Dude was like "Not for sale at this time!" Born Jamericans sample for days. Good listen, he needs to find that isht.

No, you're right. I thought I would have come across this ages ago. It's great, though. I'm especially feeling "In the Pocket".