Do I need to be on myspace?

Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
I get the sense I'm not properly promoting my radio show unless I'm on myspace. Am I wrong? I hope so, because I really don't want to mess with myspace. It smells of lame. Please to give me your opinions.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i fail to see how a free, low maintenance promotion tool could ever be considered lame.

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    don't do it!... i just got tracked down this week by the organizers of my high school reunion (that i'm not trying to fuck with at all) via myspace

• Options

It is mainly used for shameless self-promotion, right? Wouldn't want to whore myself out on the net, personally.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    don't do it!... i just got tracked down this week by the organizers of my high school reunion (that i'm not trying to fuck with at all) via myspace

the same thing happened to my ex-roommate. he kept ignoring the 'add request' and then the organizer messaged him. so he had to accept.

just register with a fake last name so people can't find you

but yeah myspace is a little weird. i went through the friends list today and half the people i have no idea who they are

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    just register with a fake last name so people can't find you

i thought about that, but there are a bunch of people who i am kind of glad found me on there... i guess you have to take the bad with the good

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

It is mainly used for shameless self-promotion, right? Wouldn't want to whore myself out on the net, personally.

uhh - in my experience it's mainly used to stay in
    touch with friends, mostly ones who live elsewhere
    although I find myself sending messages to my friend
    that lives downstairs, too.

No whoring so far.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I dig myspace. Good way to keep in touch with folks and shamelessly self-promote. I'll add you as my "friend" dude. Rupert Murdoch holler

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i joined a group called "BLACK WOMEN FOR ASIAN MEN" and i have gotten some crazy ass messages from people.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    did i hear the word shameless???

SlaveBrown!

• montymonty 420 Posts
    i fail to see how a free, low maintenance promotion tool could ever be considered lame.
    low maintenance??? not if you're getting hundreds of plays a day, scores of messages, comments, and "friend" requests - and want to keep up with it efficiently. "Tom" makes you jump through hoops that only work, maybe, 70% of the time. sometimes don't work at all, giving you those disgusting microshit error pages.... and flash ads everywhere, and users who "pimp out" their page to crash.

after two straight nights of not even being able to login, i cancelled myspace, and i'm glad i did. people who really want to find you, can.

or, i guess, you could accept the half assedness of myspace, and deal with it, because there definitely is some heavy traffic, mostly kids, there.

• autezautez 404 Posts
    i think they updated their servers today cuz there's now a new way to login and it's running quick. like quicker than ever. also you dont have to respond to everything just login whenever and do whatever

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    nutshell:

GOOD for peeps who want a FREE, widely-used promotional tool, BAD for anal complainers.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    made alot of good contacts on myspace, i enjoy it alot.

• did i hear the word shameless???

SlaveBrown!

whassup wit your boy exterminatore academy?

I had to block him me-self...

birdcall

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    My stock answer is "I'm too old for that shit"

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    MySpace is only good for checking out girlies who live in within 5 miles of your zipcode...sorted by ethnicity.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    MySpace is only good for checking out girlies who live in within 5 miles of your zipcode...sorted by ethnicity.

are you serious? can you do that?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

are you serious? can you do that?

YES, sir!

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    nutshell:

GOOD for peeps who want a FREE, widely-used promotional tool, BAD for anal complainers.

yupyup. do it danno.

stay connected.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I'm with you Dan, it's hella teenybopper. I already have told the 5 people I know about yer radio program - what more free promo do you need?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Y'all are some sexual predators.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Yeah, that's my concern. I don't want to be sending out friend requests or whatever they're called in the hopes some random or semi-random people might decide to listen to my show. It's seems desperate and a disservice to all the suave, cool folks who already tune in. Then again, i wanna be marco's myspace friend...

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I don't want to be sending out friend requests or whatever they're called in the hopes some random or semi-random people might decide to listen to my show. It's seems desperate and a disservice to all the suave, cool folks who already tune in.

Hey, this never stopped Ms Damn from posting MySpace bulletins about HER radio show.

Then again

i went through the friends list today and half the people i have no idea who they are

Maybe that explains it.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    I don't want to be sending out friend requests or whatever they're called in the hopes some random or semi-random people might decide to listen to my show. It's seems desperate and a disservice to all the suave, cool folks who already tune in.

Hey, this never stopped Ms Damn from posting MySpace bulletins about HER radio show.

Then again

i went through the friends list today and half the people i have no idea who they are

Maybe that explains it.

haha...i have the account for just the radio show, but yeah i do post announcements in the personal account. i must say it does help increase the number of downloads weekly according to the radio station dude. i have random people and bands and other radio shows add the show profle while entering band search words and what not so it's an easy and fast way to reach like minded fans of music, and it's not like i have any photos of me on the radio account for there to be "sexual predator" risks. but it's pretty low maintenence way to promote. i don't see what the big deal is here.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts

The Daily Show - Trendspotting - "Myspace"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsff8px_vPI&search=daily%20show%20myspace

"On the downside they are loaded with sexual predators, on the plus side they are also loaded with sexual prey"

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

The Daily Show - Trendspotting - "Myspace"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsff8px_vPI&search=daily%20show%20myspace

"On the downside they are loaded with sexual predators, on the plus side they are also loaded with sexual prey"

that dude Demitri Martin is awesome. his 30 minute special on Comedy Central =

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ajBdzWwYA08