Pet Peeves

2»

Comments

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    why do you put the cans in the sink instead of the garbage.

5 cent refunddddddddd

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    1) People who dont rinse their dishes before they set them in the sink. Let the dishes soak, so its easier to wash.

2) When I'm a the counter,payin' for something, please stand the fuck back!! Why are you all up in my transaction. Back the Fcukup. Show some patience.

3) Why are you littering 15 feet away from the garbage can. Just DIE mofo.

4) 1987 is not OLD SKOOL. Just DIE mofo.

5) Stop fuckin sellin' M&M's on the train.

6) Dont leave the light on in the bathroom. If your not going back in there, why is the light still on, Bitch.

7) Dont you realize that McDonaldo's is not cheap.

8) No I dont have any BIGGIE/ATCQ/REGGAE.

9) Dont walk slow in the left lane when takin the stairs. The regular pace is for the right side, but if the left is clear - then its the express lane. Move your fat ass mofo.

10) Dont your realize your too fat to squeeze into that small subway seat? Your now making me uncomfortable.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Why are you littering 15 feet away from the garbage can.

exactly

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    10) Dont your realize your too fat to squeeze into that small subway seat? Your now making me uncomfortable.

"The fingers you have used to dial are too fat. To obtain a special dialing wand, please mash the keypad with your palm now."

(I know that doesn't really have much to do with your pet peeve...I just really like that bit.)

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    - People rollin up too close to me in line when I'm about to buy something or when I'm at the ATM (take 3 steps back).

- My friend who wants to spin MY records everytime he comes over (buy your own bitch!)

- Dudes who buy raers and don't own or know shit about some dollar bin common jawns...

- Serato

- Dudes acting hard where I'm from (you ain't shit fool).

- Dudes who ask me to spin when I'm spinnin' (get your own spot f*cker)

Damn, i'm pissed this morning...

• Along with the standard roomate woes: dishes, ice trays, garbage, I gotta cosign on the record mishandling issue. My records have fallen victim to the occasional mistreatment by friends (the worste of which involved spinning a sleeve w/ record inside on a finger, which resulted in a brief lecture), the result of which being that no one plays them other than myself, but the rubbing / touching on the platter while a record is playing shit has got to stop. Got a buddy who thinks it's the coolest thing in the world. I also hate when you grab a stack of 45s w/o sleeves and the flea market vendor just throws 'em around like they're still his and don't mean shit.

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    A few more:

The ironic beard.

Hugs (unless it's from someone very close to me)Fuck the reluctant "friendly" hug.

The 67 Billy Joel records sitting at my local Goodwill.

The emo Peppermint Patty hairdo.

Kid Rock

Roommate pissing with the toilet seat down...please.It's all good,I cleaned it off with his toothbrush.

Being blatantly lied to by so called friends.Insult me with an obvious lie and that's it.You'll never see me again.

The ironic beard.

????

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Also, the misuse of the term "begging the question" annoys me, and 95 percent of people who use the phrase misuse it.

A small part of me agrees with you, but generally, I just think it's the nature of language to evolve and not stay static. Some words become antiquated, some phrases take on new meanings depending on context, and so forth. Unless you're in a formal debate, does it matter that people aren't using its "proper" definition? I mean, if 95% of people assume a particular definition, how are they wrong? They're relaying an idea effectively, that's all that really matters.

I guess this is getting into some linguistics vs. proper english ish.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Also, the misuse of the term "begging the question" annoys me, and 95 percent of people who use the phrase misuse it.

A small part of me agrees with you, but generally, I just think it's the nature of language to evolve and not stay static. Some words become antiquated, some phrases take on new meanings depending on context, and so forth. Unless you're in a formal debate, does it matter that people aren't using its "proper" definition? I mean, if 95% of people assume a particular definition, how are they wrong? They're relaying an idea effectively, that's all that really matters.

I guess this is getting into some linguistics vs. proper english ish.

Yeah, I know. You're right on the money, and it's rare that I'll actually call out somebody for using it in the accepted colloquial sense. It just bugs me is all.

But speaking of this, I forgot a much bigger pet peeve than the misuse of "begging the question"--the massive misuse of the word "literally." This one really annoys the shit out of me because nowadays, people use it to mean the exact opposite of what it means.

"I was literally dying laughing!"
    Really? You were literally dying? What saved you from death by laughter?

But speaking of this, I forgot a much bigger pet peeve than the misuse of "begging the question"--the massive misuse of the word "literally." This one really annoys the shit out of me because nowadays, people use it to mean the exact opposite of what it means.

this has become a joke with myself and my friends...we misuse literally SO bad, mostly on purpose.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    People that get hyper pissed off about grammar on message boards!

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts

Yeah, that can be annoying. David Cross does a bit about this.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    The word "irregardless". Apparently it is somewhat accepted in "common speech", it's just stoopid tho,

"not without regard"??? fuck outta here.

Yeah, it's an odd double negative, but it's being used more and more. I don't think I've ever heard anyone use it except as a way to tack on another syllable to regardless.

• Yeah! Every fucking english major comes out of the woodwork to share their flaccid knowledge of grammar, punctuation, and spelling. I hate that!

• aradpumaaradpuma 83 Posts
    why do you put the cans in the sink instead of the garbage.

5 cent refunddddddddd

10 cents in michigan bring them over here

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here is a list of my major pet peeves:

1. Drivers that drive without using a turn signal.

2. Drivers that follow too close.

3. A sink full of hair products, combs, bobby pins, etc. (wife-related).

4. Women that half-shirts with waist fat (a Milwaukee staple; No thy limitations; Yuck!!!).

5. Strangers bummin' a smoke from you at the bar.

6. People that invade personal space.

7. People that use words that don't exist (e.g., conversate, orientated).

8. Black folks that act loud in public (lack of racial pride and dignity-related).

9. People that talk on their cell phones in restaurants, school buildings, planes, and anywhere else people are congregated (rudeness-related).

10. Drivers that drive while talking on their cell phones.

11. People that kit-out busted-ass vehicles (wtf!!!).

12. Baby mamas with new clothes, hairdos, and nails with nappy-headed, raggedy-dressed kids (take care of your kids first-related).

13. Punk-ass dudes that don't take care of their kids.

14. People that talk loud around public offices (I'm trying to concentrate while working-related).

15. Dumb-ass people at fast food restaurants (get the order wrong every time-related).

16. People that don't pick up after their dogs.

17. Overly friendly drunk folks at bars.

18. People that try to rationalize bad behavior.

19. Ignorant people that know everything (read a book-related).

20. Old drivers that can't decide on a driving lane (maybe it's time to hang it up-related).

21. My wife's tendency to not fasten condiments lids well (top fell of the Miracle Whip when I grabbed it-related).

22. My wife's tendency to ask do I want to do something for her versus asking would I do it for her (I say no to the first question-related, since that's not what she wants to know).

23. My wife's occasional tendency to impose upon my time schedule (did you think I might have my own plans-related?).

24. My wife's tendency to want things done when SHE wants it (since you're gonna die if it isn't done right now, do it yourself-related).

25. People that park to close to my car (I'm big and need room to open my door-related).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Pet peeve: Waiters/restaurant staff who guess what I am going to order before I order anything. Always happens when I order the same thing every time I go to the restaurant, and has only happened to me at Asian restaurants. I don't know if it is supposed to show how on-the-ball their service is or what, but it's too personal for my liking. I want to be just another customer, a blank slate. I take it as a sign that I need to find a new spot.

• People who turn on their turn signal after they've already started turning. Um, dude, the signal is supposed to convey your intent to turn and warn other drivers of your plan. Thanks for letting me know you're already turning - I couldn't figure that out from you cutting me off.

The letter 'u' is not a personal pronoun. And don't even start with the whole "life is too short to type everything out" bullshit. The nanosecond you save doing this is insignificant. I'm also not sold on the "common speech" argument. Just because there are a lot of people who aren't too bright and misuse words and somehow it enters the vernacular, that doesn't mean that I have to accept it. Why should I have to reduce my speech to that of mouth breathers?

A corollary to the above is the fact that the people who commit the worst linguistic sins are almost always monolingual. Shouldn't it be easier to keep your one native language straight in your head rather than two or three? Though I suspect the answer is that they just don't give a shit.

My girlfriend is in medical school. This is how one of her classmates comunicates: "OMG!!!!! girl u are so FABOOOOOoooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! y r u so awsum! lets partiiieee!!!!!!" I do not want this girl getting a medical license, though her daddy's loaded enough he could probably just buy one for her in a corrupt enough country. Her very existence is a pet peeve of mine. They have this awesome professor at the school who is in her 80s and said the following to the class: "I hope you are all very rich so you can afford to buy some land and have a place to bury all the patients you will kill." I can't help but think the above girl was one of the people this was addressed to.

Record-related: "oh, how neat, I didn't know anyone still listened to those!"

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    The lazy ginger in my pilates class.

I'm easily the youngest regular in my pilates class, with most of the ladies being in their 40s, 50s and 60s. They are all fabulous and fit and offer me excellent inspiration to continue moving.

Sure, we can't all do each exercise. Drop the weights, modify the position, whatever you need. But Lazy Ginger modifies every position. Drops the weights for nearly every exercise. And sometimes I see her reflection in the mirror and she's not doing anything at all.

I don't know why this peeves me so much. Her workout has nothing to do with my obliques. Her protruding belly only prompts me to crunch harder and lift higher. The sight of her pretty much lying there while grandma is struggling to hold a yoga boat position just irks the sh*t out of me. If the class is too challenging, go to the Parkinson's class instead. Or Chair Fitness. I hear they have "triathlons" while seated. She's not holding the class back, but it's so obvious that she either can't keep up or chooses not to. It would be like me going to a spin class and just sitting on the bike not moving. I got tired of spin and realized that if I wasn't going to keep cadence in the class, I needed to get out of there. Not fair to the dude panting next to me to look over and see that I'm obviously thinking about something else, with no interest whatsoever in the instructor's workout plan.

Start moving or get out, Lazy Ginger. We all know you only show up because Run for the Cure Lady makes you. She also drops the weights, but at least keeps moving. I bet you both go home thinking you got an excellent workout when you didn't do anything at all.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Double.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    I quit smoking cigs about 8 months ago, but smoked for a very long time. Back when you could smoke in bars, my pet peeve was peeps leaving gum or the fruit from their G & Ts in the ashtray. Hated it... :hated_it:

• everything that happens around me while im driving a car. everyTHING and everyONE. they're all trying to kill me with their buicks and camrys, and i just want to get myself and my precious cargo from point A to point B without incident. ive finally managed to get my road rage in check with help from my patient and loving girlfriend; it's been months since ive gotten out of the car at a red light to discuss another driver's shortcomings up close and personal, and the fact that ive reduced the teeth-gnashing and cursing to a light perspiration of the brow would suggest that it's left the realm of 'socially handicapping vice' and entered 'pet peeve'. so..... mixed blessing?

• oh.... toothpaste gobs in the sink or shower. blech.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    cosine on both of the above
    i've had people get angry at me because i am cursing out at the world in general in the car and they think it's aimed at them
    blobs i hate but leaving the toothpaste open is even worse and i am OCD about squeezing it to maximum efficiency (bottom to top)