U.S Soldier shot by sheriff's deputy

picoandsepulvedapicoandsepulveda 1,026 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
forgive me if this was already posted, i'm sure youtube has the footage but i really ain't tryna see that shit...http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_3459499Soldier shot by sheriff's deputy stable, wife saysSheriff refuses to comment on deputies, Air Force officerMelissa Pinion-Whitt, Staff WriterCHINO - A U.S. Air Force policeman who just returned from Iraq was shot several times by a sheriff's deputy late Sunday following a high-speed chase.The man, identified by family members as Elio Carrion, 21, was hospitalized at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton. Hospital officials would not release his condition, but the man's wife said he underwent surgery and was stable."He looks good. He's just very tired right now," said Mariela Carrion, a Louisiana resident who was visiting family in Pomona with her husband.San Bernardino County sheriff's deputies released few details about what prompted the shooting. Sheriff Gary Penrod said in a prepared statement the department's homicide division was conducting a thorough investigation."As with all investigations, the circumstances involved in this shooting will be reviewed," Penrod said. "It would be inappropriate for me to make any additional comments until the investigation is completed."The incident began about 10 p.m. when deputies saw the driver of a blue Chevrolet Corvette speeding at more than 100 mph through a residential area, deputies said.Deputies tried to stop the driver, but he didn't pull over, sheriff's officials said. A short chase ensued, ending when the driver, Luis Fernando Escobedo, skidded and slammed into the block wall on Francis Avenue near Benson Avenue in Chino.Bill Vandie, who lives on Francis, said he was inside when he heard the Corvette and the sheriff's car race down the street."I heard the tires screeching like someone slamming on the brakes," he said.A resident next door to Vandie ran inside and grabbed a video camera shortly after he heard the crash. Neighbors then reported hearing about three gunshots.Sheriff's officials said while deputies were trying to take Escobedo and Carrion into custody, a deputy shot Carrion.Deputies said the cameraman voluntarily handed over a copy of the tape to authorities, who planned to review it as part of the investigation.Paramedics flew Carrion to the hospital. Escobedo, 21, was not shot. Sheriff's officials didn't indicate whether Escobedo or his passenger were injured in the crash.Deputies booked Escobedo into West Valley Detention Center on suspicion of felony evading.Roberto Garcia, a friend of the man who filmed the incident, said he didn't see the shooting, but viewed a copy of the video. Garcia was inside the home in the 5500 block of Francis Avenue while his friend stood outside filming."The guy laid down on the ground and was arguing with police and the police told him to get up," Garcia said. "When he got up that's when he shot him."Garcia also said the video showed a deputy kicking the man while he was on the ground.Sheriff's spokeswoman Robin Haynal said investigators were still reviewing the tape, so the department couldn't respond to Garcia's description of its contents."I have not seen the tape, so we're not going to comment on it right now," she said.The deputy who shot Carrion was placed on leave pending the outcome of the investigation, which is regular procedure, Haynal said.But the families of Carrion and Escobedo want answers sooner.Laura Cardona, Escobedo's sister, came to the shooting scene Monday afternoon. She said her brother and Carrion were at a family get-together in Montclair celebrating Carrion's return from Iraq on Sunday night.Carrion and Escobedo got into the Corvette and had planned to stop at a store and visit a friend. While heading to their friend's house, the chase began, she said."We don't understand why they say he was running from the cops because I don't think he was," said Cardona, a Montclair resident.She said Escobedo was not perfect and once had a warrant for not paying a speeding ticket, but he had nothing serious on his record.Relatives were baffled as to why Carrion would be shot.Carrion has served three years in the Air Force's military police and had just returned to his home in Shreveport, La., after serving eight months in Iraq, his wife said.Mariela Carrion, who has been married to the man two years, said she and Elio came to Pomona to visit family members.She said she is interested in viewing the videotape because she is seeking an explanation about what happened."I actually talked to him, and he said they shot him for no reason," she said.Melissa Pinion-Whitt can be reached by e-mail at m_pinion-whittor by phone at (909) 483-9378.

Comments

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    aint tryna see it? do you live in town? i mean, that shit is on the news down here like every 10 seconds.

• no tv doggy...

i hate hippies

• main media source is computer and maybe a newspaper amigo... and no no no granola for me doggy...

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    main media source is computer and maybe a newspaper amigo... and no no no granola for me doggy...

lol...

lol...

bruh!

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    I miss you shiggy. I've been busier than a whore house in Texas.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I saw this video and it is very, very fucked up.

Dude straight shot him after telling him to get up. I hope he gets thrown in gen-pop. People with that much power need to keep themselves in check.

I miss you shiggy. I've been busier than a whore house in Texas.

awww, man! i miss you too.

video is indeed fucked up. you dont really see much, but you can clearly see what's what.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/03/08/police.shooting/index.html

Middle page in the text is a link to the video. It's the very first thing you see (after the bullshit commercial, of course ).

• girgir 329 Posts
    Off-Duty Officer Shoots and Kills Teen in Alexandria
    Saturday February 25, 2006 12:25pm

Alexandria, VA (AP) - An off-duty police officer shot and killed a teenager early Saturday at a restaurant parking lot after fearing for his safety, authorities said.

The 13-year veteran of the Alexandria (website - news) Police Department was working as a security guard at an IHOP restaurant on Duke Street about 3:40 a.m. when an employee told him that a group of customers left without paying, said Amy Bertsch, a police department spokeswoman.

"He went out into the parking lot to see if he could locate them," said Bertsch, who would not give the officer's name.

She said the officer attempted to stop the customers from fleeing in a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and that he fired at the vehicle when it traveled toward him.

Aaron Brown, 18, of Springfield - who was sitting in the back seat - was hit by a bullet and died at the scene, Bertsch said.

Three other people in the Jeep weren't. Stephen J. Smith, 19, of Alexandria - who was driving the vehicle - was later charged with driving while intoxicated and possession of marijuana.

The officer has been placed on administrative leave while police conduct a criminal and internal investigation, Bertsch said.

Saturday's incident was the first fatal shooting involving an Alexandria police officer since April 2005, when two officers shot and killed a man holding his son hostage. The officers were later cleared of wrongdoing.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    main media source is computer and maybe a newspaper amigo... and no no no granola for me doggy...

lol...

hahaha

• lol...

damn you don't gotta put shig on blast like that...plus his was a different color i think. and no shig it still hasn't shown up. im now convinced you kicked it on the neighbors roof. if only you weren't wearing your birkenstocks to the party.