Accountant Strut (NRR)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
For the first time ever, I (and wifey) have decided to hire an accountant to handle our taxes. I've never gone through the process before and am wondering if people have advice on how to find a good one, what a reasonable hourly rate is, things to think about, etc. etc.Thanks,OW

Comments

• head034head034 24 Posts
    I have an acct. He charges a percentage of the income that comes in. For that he does the book keeping, paybills, does taxes, etc.... My 1st one was a didnt really have all his marbles! Even worst is if they aren't organized with the books. Therefore they can't do the taxes properly at the end of the year! Last thing needed is to get hit with IRS on some penalty/intrest sh*t, or worse audit!

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    You're in San Francisco, right? I recommend Richard Spaulding. He does all the tax stuff for my office (He's based in Carmichael, CA though). He's well organized, always returns calls, etc. He hasn't done my personal taxes yet but I think I will have him do it this year. I have some really complicated taxes. He does both my bosses taxes.

Hit me with a PM if you want his phone number.

• Sheck yer PMs.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Holler at this dude.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Thanks mangs,

I don't think I'm rolling with H&R on this one (sorry Hoggy, been there before and it just didn't seem worth it) but my wife has a lead on someone in the North Bay we might use. The only thing is that he charges $180/hr but I have no idea if that's low or high.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    you shouldnt have to pay by the houor. I pay $450 to prepare my taxes - flat rate.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Thanks mangs,

I don't think I'm rolling with H&R on this one (sorry Hoggy, been there before and it just didn't seem worth it) but my wife has a lead on someone in the North Bay we might use. The only thing is that he charges $180/hr but I have no idea if that's low or high.

$200+ is routine for a normal set of taxes if you want an accountant to handle it. I would advise that you do because for an extra $100 or so you will probably get back more than a thousand over H&R or turbotax.

• Thanks mangs,

$200+ is routine for a normal set of taxes if you want an accountant to handle it. I would advise that you do because for an extra $100 or so you will probably get back more than a thousand over H&R or turbotax.

The wife and I just paid $177 for H&R to do both of our taxes (which included many, many forms between the two of us) and we got a TON of money back. And it took about an hour of our time. More than worth it.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    you shouldnt have to pay by the houor. I pay $450 to prepare my taxes - flat rate.

Yes, a good accountant will charge a flat rate. Really, most of them use complex software that does all the hard work. They just punch in numbers and it spits out forms. I'm sure the good ones know how to work the system though.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    JP already hit on it, but you might just do fine by buying turbotax. you'll have to buy updates every year on line but it keeps all your records so you don't have to re-enter a lot of info each year.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    JP already hit on it, but you might just do fine by buying turbotax. you'll have to buy updates every year on line but it keeps all your records so you don't have to re-enter a lot of info each year.

I normally do but this is our first year filing joint, our paperwork (combined) looks super-ugly and we'd feel better having someone else handle our business.