On second thought...

2»

Comments

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    wouldn't mtv explaining what sideshows and ghostriding are be more akin to explaining what swanging and poppin trunk are than rocking pyrex? just sayin

and in general, mtv is not a media outlet that concerns itself with the implications or consequences of what they air, so getting bent out of shape with their programing is pretty counter-productive imo.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Fine, SFPD...same friggin difference. And yeah, Sway explicitly explained how to ghostride a whip. Watch again.

Actually, I was mistaken - it was F.A.B. in North Oakland.

The segment in which Sway asks F.A.B. to explain "what's ghostriding" is literally 10 seconds and as far as "explanations" go, I just am not understanding what the fucking issue is here:

"You hop out the car, you let the car roll, then you go dumb."

I mean, no offense, but I could have figured that out by watching the "Tell Me When To Go" video when E-40 says, 'ghostride the whip" then they show people walking and hanging outside their car as the car rolls down the street.

Sway also asked E-40 to explain what "gouda" meant. Was that violatin too?

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    i'm guessing most people who would bother to watch "my block" already know what all that shit means... not very many people kind of like bay area rap... you either blog about it or you've never heard of it, for the most part

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I hear you but the show already felt like there were too many folks to follow already. Maybe "My Block" needs to be an hour but it opens the question of whether viewers would stay with it for that long.
    I know it's pointless to bring this up, but the Federation and Rick Rock are a much more accurate representation of the current Bay shit than Nump and shit, even as much as I love Turf Talk, the Federation would have been a better feature. They could even sway some regional bias by mentioning all the shit Rick Rock produced for east coast mufuckaz.

• YES, JAZZBO AND SWAY ARE SO BITERS.

Real headz know -- that sideshow stuff has been all over this thing called "the evening news" for years. Jack move! Luckily, OPD has never seen that program, cause they're watching MTV2 all the time.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    if this album blows up then its all explained on there anyway and easily decipherable to the youngest of drivers.

I just don't understand why you are so surprised about it. MTV is looking for the next thing and will appropriate whatever cultural ideas/slang/terminology to suit that goal so that they can continue to entertain their teen and preteen audience. Its been done for years and as long as the formula mkes them money you might as well get comfortable because its going to keep happening.

And really I don't think any of the Bay Area artists are up in arms about this. hell they are probably happy that they are finally getting the national attention they have wanted since day one.

Imma go listen to 415 - Sideshow now.

YES, JAZZBO AND SWAY ARE SO BITERS.

Real headz know -- that sideshow stuff has been all over this thing called "the evening news" for years. Jack move! Luckily, OPD has never seen that program, cause they're watching MTV2 all the time.

[sarcasm]But Hua - I think the problem here is that "the evening news" (and "The LA Times" March 2005) don't bother to explain what "ghostriding" means. Sway and F.A.B. decode it for middle America, thereby encouraging millions of young 16 year olds to drive down the street and potentially kill someone while "going dumb."

[/sarcasm]

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    YES, JAZZBO AND SWAY ARE SO BITERS.

BAHAHAHA!

I don't think any of the Bay Area artists are up in arms about this. hell they are probably happy that they are finally getting the national attention they have wanted since day one.

For real - if you think MTV has no cred, you should have seen how many people on the street perked up when they heard "oh shit, MTV is filming?" On the two days I shadowed these guys in West Oakland and Vallejo respectively, I never saw anyone mutter, "man, fuck MTV, they don't know shit." I doubt they treat MTV as the source of street knowledge but they're also not whispering "carpetbaggers" either.

• I don't think any of the Bay Area artists are up in arms about this. hell they are probably happy that they are finally getting the national attention they have wanted since day one.

For real - if you think MTV has no cred, you should have seen how many people on the street perked up when they heard "oh shit, MTV is filming?" On the two days I shadowed these guys in West Oakland and Vallejo respectively, I never saw anyone mutter, "man, fuck MTV, they don't know shit." I doubt they treat MTV as the source of street knowledge but they're also not whispering "carpetbaggers" either.

I was watching the Real World and in the ending credits they played "tell me when to go". My because usually they show shit James Blunt or Kelly Clarkson in those quick ads.

That video is fucking sick as well. Really dope.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I hear you but the show already felt like there were too many folks to follow already. Maybe "My Block" needs to be an hour but it opens the question of whether viewers would stay with it for that long.

I know it's pointless to bring this up, but the Federation and Rick Rock are a much more accurate representation of the current Bay shit than Nump and shit

[Archaic][color:red]HOW WOULD YOU KNOW YOU HAWAIIAN CARPETBAGGEUR!?[/b][/color][/Archaic]

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I was watching the Real World and in the ending credits they played "tell me when to go.

ed P

you think this is some crossover schitt? HELLS NO.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    for a second I thought this thread might be archaic renouncing his anti-semetic beliefs that the jews aided Hitler with the holocaust.

I've already asked you once, politely even, to stop parroting your misleading take on my words.

Africans aided the African slave trade. There I said that too, and you're not going to see any Africans or African-Amricans labeling me as anti-African for doing so.

You got problems, dude, and I don't want any part of them. So do us both a favor and steer clear of me.

you got to be out your fucking mind you prejudiced fuck. you think I'm going to let you spout out the bullshit I've seen you spout and then "let you live"?

Bitch please. Ain't nothing misleading about the direct statements you made, and there wasn't anything misleading about the non-invited PM you sent me outlining your bullshit anti-semetic ideals.

Get a vasectomy, and grow a spine. You want to spit hate I'll be there to spit something right back at you.

you fucking crumb

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    everybody shut the fuck up. i just have 1 question.

is it true that part of this my block thing was shot at the pleasant hill fatburger? and why did dude put money into that shitty chain when there are perfectly good shitty burger chains in the bay.

damn regional bias!

everybody shut the fuck up. i just have 1 question.

is it true that part of this my block thing was shot at the pleasant hill fatburger? and why did dude put money into that shitty chain when there are perfectly good shitty burger chains in the bay.

damn regional bias!

Yes and I don't know.

You should want E-40 to help fund In N Out franchises instead? Maybe they can include lyrics along with "John 3:16" on the bottom of the cups that way.

Actually, given the unique slang of In N' Out ordering ("I'll have a double double, animal style"), it would have been perfect.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    in-n-out is yet another socal institution. im talking about burger joint, or hell, nations. shit i mean, how much is a 1/4 lbs. burger franchise? or a quik-way?

eh, whatever. hey shied, you like how i left out dudes name but then odub pulls a mtv2 and drops it anyways?

• everybody shut the fuck up. i just have 1 question.

damn regional bias!

Yes and I don't know.

You should want E-40 to help fund In N Out franchises instead? Maybe they can include lyrics along with "John 3:16" on the bottom of the cups that way.

Actually, given the unique slang of In N' Out ordering ("I'll have a double double, animal style" Water Mocassin[/b]), it would have been perfect.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts

Ah mang .. this shit was terrible. Like watching a three legged dog "dance"

Anybody "inspired"?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

I also don't get what the beef here is about per se.

Of course not.

O,

I think he just implied you're "disconnected from the streets"!!!